User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

MacBook Pro Now or MacBook Pro Later?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro Now or MacBook Pro Later?
shatteringglass

2006-06-13, 12:36

Ever since my nightmare MacBook experience, I'm stuck about what to do next. I won't ever be buying a MacBook again, so my only choice right now is a MacBook Pro, which I'll be purchasing begrudgingly. I would like to have a notebook to use right now, but I'm wondering whether I should buy a MacBook Pro now with the release of Merom in August. Will the real-life performance of those machines be great enough to warrant waiting another two months? I'm stuck. I searched the rest of the forums, but couldn't find a definitive answer.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-13, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringglass
Ever since my nightmare MacBook experience,
Eh?

Quote:
Will the real-life performance of those machines be great enough to warrant waiting another two months?
That depends on how far you're pushing the machine to begin with. What do you do?
shatteringglass

2006-06-13, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Eh?
http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...7&postcount=22

I'm mainly going to do Photoshop work on it, maybe Aperture and Final Cut at times. I know the current Core Duos will handle those tasks fine(assuming Photoshop goes Universal next year), but Merom's just so damn close that I don't want to have buyer's remorse. I also intend for this machine to last me for a couple of years (assuming that something super cool doesn't come along, which is unlikely). I don't know if the 20%+ performance boost Intel's reporting will translate over in real-world applications.

Ah, the classic buy-it-now or buy-it-later dilemma. I thought I was immune to it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-13, 13:30

That sounds like an extremely unusually negative experience. On the contrary, I've read many reports of very satisfied MacBook customers.

Merom will make a performance difference for you, but whether you're willing to wait several months (although it's likely, I can't guarantee you you will see a Merom-based MBP by August) just for that.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-06-16, 06:56

If you can wait, I would. Merom is a drop in replacement for Yonah chips (people have already done this with Mac minis), can get 20% more done at the same clock speed and is a 64 bit chip. If the MBPs get updated to Merom in 53 days, you'll most definitely be kicking yourself for buying a MBP today.
autodata
hustlin

2006-06-16, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
That sounds like an extremely unusually negative experience. On the contrary, I've read many reports of very satisfied MacBook customers.
FWIW, I went through 4 macbooks myself before giving up and buying a MBP.

shatteringglass, if you can wait, wait. I couldn't. However, I'm really happy with my MBP even though it gets pretty hot. My plan was to try it out and if I didn't get it impulse to return it within 14 days I'd just keep it. Today is day 14 and I have no such impulse. If you buy now, get a recent one (we are on week 22 or 23). Personally, I figure that if the heat starts to really bother me that I'll just try reapplying the thermal paste. Other than that and the less than ideal battery life (which won't necessarily change much with merom), it's fine. Not to mention the huge leap in performance from a powerbook.

Also, you live in NYC, so if you really want to upgrade in the fall it shouldn't be too hard to fine someone to sell it to.

Last edited by autodata : 2006-06-16 at 12:51.
fleetwoodjazz

2006-06-16, 13:04

I seems like the Intel transition still poses problems, I don't know Merom laptops will run as hot as those MBP. Why don't you try a laptop cooler? I really helps.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-06-18, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringglass
Will the real-life performance of those machines be great enough to warrant waiting another two months? I'm stuck.
As ever, if you need it now then now would be the time to get it. Sounds like you can wait in which case I would. The power / performance of the Merom looks much more attractive and you have the added benefit of knowing Apple will very likely have ironed out some of the irritations which have hit MBP early adopters.
digitalprimate

2006-06-21, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
The power / performance of the Merom looks much more attractive and you have the added benefit of knowing Apple will very likely have ironed out some of the irritations which have hit MBP early adopters.
But won't there be new complications possible with the new Merom chips as well?
dark54555

2006-06-21, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate
But won't there be new complications possible with the new Merom chips as well?
Merom chips run much cooler, so the heat issue should go away entirely.
Mac Donald

2006-06-22, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark54555
Merom chips run much cooler, so the heat issue should go away entirely.
Famous last words. I'll believe this when I see it. "Completely go away . . ."