User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What to do about litterers (Car Smokers)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What to do about litterers (Car Smokers)
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-09-24, 08:41

Hey, I have nothing against smoking, hell I'll even smoke a cigarette or two when I am drinking, but I'm so damn tired of constantly seeing people throw their cigarette butts out of their car as they are driving. I see it happen so many times a day and I just get so furious. I don't care if you smoke in your car, but don't throw it out the window then!

Is there anything you can really do to stop this? I mean besides loading up 5 cigarette butts into a paintball gun and shooting it at them as you pass them. It's not always possible to pass someone, and that could be dangerous...worst of all, they could have their windows up so it wouldn't matter.

So what do you think about this, does it bother you, do you do it? I'm guessing the smokers on this board do, as I rarely have seen people actually use their ash tray in their cars.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-24, 08:45

Take down their license plates and post them with this message (anonymously) somewhere on the internet:

"The people driving these cars are known pedophiles."

Chances are if they're that casual about throwing their cigarette butts out the window, they do a lot of other stupid crap you don't see. Eventually they'll pay. Also, feel free to post the plates of anyone driving an H2 with reverse-spinning chrome mags... or one of those new International Semi-sized SUVs.

...into the light of a dark black night.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-24, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
...or one of those new International Semi-sized SUVs.
You are like a dog chasing a bone

On occasions when I have seen someone litter, told them very 'nicely', "Excuse me, I think you have dropped something".

The reaction is hilarious!

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-09-24, 09:15

i've thought about this. i decided the only thing that would work would be a bounty type system.

if people have video proof of someone throwing a cig. out the window, they can send it to the cops. the litterer gets a $300 fine. The city keeps $200, the submitter gets $100. at the rate people throw that crap out, i could quit my day job.

just mount a camera on the car that runs while you drive. not too tough to do.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-09-24, 09:25

fuck all you bitches. i do this regularly. usually only when cabbing, as most people don't allow me to smoke in their cars. u people all hippies or something? cars are one of the few places we have left that we are allowed to smoke in. who gets hurt when the butt flies out the window (aside from 1 in a million chance of someone actually get hit by it, which might amount to a three second discomfort)? there are problems significantly more important where thought and resources could be put.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-24, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
fuck all you bitches. i do this regularly. usually only when cabbing, as most people don't allow me to smoke in their cars. u people all hippies or something? cars are one of the few places we have left that we are allowed to smoke in. who gets hurt when the butt flies out the window (aside from 1 in a million chance of someone actually get hit by it, which might amount to a three second discomfort)? there are problems significantly more important where thought and resources could be put.
Many forest fires have been started in California by some idiot driver flicking their lit butt out the window.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2004-09-24, 09:36

Plus there's a lot of nasty ass shit in cigerette butts. You think all that crap that's in butts goes away just because you toss it? No.

At least throw the shit in the trash instead of the storm drain. As it is it's all washed into the local water table (usually).

Smoke in your car, I don't care. Just don't toss your shit out the window when you're done.

Google is your frenemy.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-09-24, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Plus there's a lot of nasty ass shit in cigerette butts. You think all that crap that's in butts goes away just because you toss it? No.

At least throw the shit in the trash instead of the storm drain. As it is it's all washed into the local water table (usually).

Smoke in your car, I don't care. Just don't toss your shit out the window when you're done.
I'm with thuhFreak on this one! get a life all of you!!

Putting a but in a bin is just as likely to cause a fire besides you can't reach them from your car!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never toss shit out of my window either... just cigarette butts. And for the record mine are Golden Virginia rollies with no filter and are 100% bio-degradable.

There is more shit coming out of your exhaust than any cigarette leaves behind on the floor. If you have a problem with some tobacco and paper on the ground then you should get rid of your car and set a real example instead of bitching and moaning and picking on a trendy subject for whiners to bash these days.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2004-09-24, 09:53

look, it's trash. 90+% of it is not going to be biodegradable, and even if it is, that's not the point.

i don't throw apple cores out my car window when i'm done. i don't throw paper out of my car when i don't want it any more. i don't throw shit out of my car while i'm driving because it's RUDE.

next time you're at a light, stop and look at the trash. a huge percentage is cig butts.

i have no idea why people think it's ok to throw burning trash out of their car windows.

Google is your frenemy.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-24, 10:00

Trendy thing to whine about? WTF?

I suppose if it's OK to toss tens of millions of cigarette butts onto the road, it's probably also OK to toss your empty McDonalds bag and napkins out the window too. After all, it's only paper! Biodegradeable, man!

Seriously. Get a fucking ash tray or toss em in you pop can and throw that away when you get home / back to the office, all right? It's not that complicated. Jeezus.

And so you don't think I'm exaggerating, I've seen on more than one occasion some redneck fuck throw their entire BAG of McDonalds / BK / Wendys waste onto the side of the road... and glass bottles, and gum wrappers and whatever the fuck else they're too stupid to just throw away at home.

No excuse for it, period.

...into the light of a dark black night.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-24, 10:11

Is it so hard to use your fucking ashtray? Maybe you think it's better to toss a butt in the street than to dirty up your nice car?

If you don't want your ashtray to get "dirty" then don't smoke in your car. Pretty simple.
ast3r3x

2004-09-24, 10:13

No, see the point isn't that it's a cigarette. The point is that everyone does it. Banana peels are biodegradable but I don't want everyone throwing that out of their car. It's plain and simple littering which bothers me, because everyone does it. I try to make a point not to spit my gum out of my window...talk about not biodegradable, I had a huge wad of bubble tape when I was younger, that I flattened and stuck to a curb...it stayed there for years! I thought it would have been washed away long before it was. I normally swallow my gum or stick it in something to be thrown out later.

Once I get my directional EMP working, I'll just hit their cars and let them know as I slowly go by their car that it was probably the cigarette they threw. I mean what are they going to tell the cops, I magically made their car stop working?!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-24, 10:19

I have a better idea, alcimedes.

Instead of mounting a camera on your car, mount an M16 and blow off the idiot's hand just as the cigarette leaves it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x

2004-09-24, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I have a better idea, alcimedes.

Instead of mounting a camera on your car, mount an M16 and blow off the idiot's hand just as the cigarette leaves it.
I thought about doing that with my paint ball gun actually. But I figured one, with the air currents I couldn't be accurate (I know a gun wouldn't have that problems), but two, I'd never be able to be ready in time unless i had the gun out the window...cops don't like that
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:23

My point remains.

Firstly - Rolling papers and Tobacco (plant leaves!!!!) are 100% bio-degradable.

Secondly - Your stinking cars do more damage to the planet and the people around them than any other thing on the street. McDonalds bags, cig butts, whatever.

You guys need to practice what you preach and stop using your cars.
Otherwise quit bitching about a load of old crap!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-24, 10:23

Actually, a cooler thing to do would be to hop out, pick up the butt, and throw it back into their car. Back seat of course.
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
If you don't want your ashtray to get "dirty" then don't smoke in your car. Pretty simple.
Everybody knows ashtrays are for putting air fresheners in and fuses and toll money and stuff! If you ash in them there is no room for the air freshener and your car stinks of cigarette smoke!! Nobody actually ashes a cigarette in them!! Duh!

ast3r3x

2004-09-24, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
My point remains.

Firstly - Rolling papers and Tobacco (plant leaves!!!!) are 100% bio-degradable.

Secondly - Your stinking cars do more damage to the planet and the people around them than any other thing on the street. McDonalds bags, cig butts, whatever.

Your not seriously trying to use that as a valid argument are you? Cars are basically a necessity, smoking however is not. As for paper, and tobacco leaves being biodegradable...I live in lancaster county Pennsylvania, we have tobacco fields...they look NOTHING like what you find in cigarettes, let me tell you. You find a dead dried out tobacco leaf...nope, still not like cigarettes.

What's littering is littering.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-24, 10:30

Quote:
MyMcDonalds bags
McDonalds bags are just paper and food -- doesn't that make them 100% biodegradable too?

You are totally missing the point. Litter is litter. Period. On top of that, cigarette butts constitute a hell of a bigger proportion of the litter that I see AND they are dangerous as they are known to start fires.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:33

Quote:
Don't own a car. Don't litter as well. Recycle bottles too
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Your not seriously trying to use that as a valid argument are you? Cars are basically a necessity, smoking however is not. As for paper, and tobacco leaves being biodegradable...I live in lancaster county Pennsylvania, we have tobacco fields...they look NOTHING like what you find in cigarettes, let me tell you. You find a dead dried out tobacco leaf...nope, still not like cigarettes.
I smoke Golden Virginnia not cigarettes. And that does look exactly like dried tobacco leaves cos GUESS WHAT that is WHAT THEY ARE!!

And your argument which supposidly justifies the crap that is put into the atmosphere by cars by saying they are a necesity is so weak dude!

Oh it's necesary... oh well then fuck the environment why don't we!!
as3r3x said it was ok! He NEEDS his car so we'll just keep on screwing up the air and chugging around in our gas guzzlers.. cos that's a necesity!

Dear o dear o dear!

scratt
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
Don't own a car. Don't litter as well. Recycle bottles too
Omega. I will smoke one less cigarette for you! I am not worthy!! :smokey:

Last edited by scratt : 2004-09-24 at 10:36. Reason: added a smiley!
ast3r3x

2004-09-24, 10:36

Has anyone ever seen litter on the highway that looks like someone ripped open a garbage bag while sitting on the back of their pickup speeding down the highway? It's funny to think of such a thing, but it makes me sad to see such a large concentration of stuff.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:37

And I use 100% recycled cloth bags instead of plastic at the supermarket
ast3r3x

2004-09-24, 10:37

Quote:
as3r3x said it was ok! He NEEDS his car so we'll just keep on screwing up the air and chugging around in our gas guzzlers.. cos that's a necesity!

Dear o dear o dear!
I don't drive a H2 or something
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:38

Quote:
Omega. I will smoke one less cigarette for you! I am not worthy!! :smokey:
Good to hear
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-09-24, 10:39

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen litter on the highway that looks like someone ripped open a garbage bag while sitting on the back of their pickup speeding down the highway? It's funny to think of such a thing, but it makes me sad to see such a large concentration of stuff.
My bag! Sorry!

Emptied my back seat out... All my fag butts kept getting blown back in so I had to bag 'em and dump 'em! Figured I might as well put them where I intended to in the first place!

thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-09-24, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Many forest fires have been started in California by some idiot driver flicking their lit butt out the window.
i believe a law (possibly just a ny thing) passed that says that cigarettes have to be self-extinguishing. throw a lit cigarette away, and it puts itself out. i don't think they are in abundance yet, but they are starting to.

Quote:
As for paper, and tobacco leaves being biodegradable...I live in lancaster county Pennsylvania, we have tobacco fields...they look NOTHING like what you find in cigarettes, let me tell you. You find a dead dried out tobacco leaf...nope, still not like cigarettes.
are you trying to say that my sweet sweet cancers aint full of tobacco?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-24, 10:41

Quote:
And your argument which supposidly justifies the crap that is put into the atmosphere by cars by saying they are a necesity is so weak dude!

OMG!!

WOOT! OMG SCRATT TOTALLY PWNED US!
ast3r3x

2004-09-24, 10:44

I was listening to a comedian who was talking about how much he smoked...

"Yeah, so I smoke a lot, what can I say I'm addicted...I'm up to about 2 lighters a day"