Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPod Touch internet very slow?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Touch internet very slow?
MagSafe

2008-02-09, 15:28

Hey,

So after seeing my dad's new 32GB iPod Touch, I ended up buying one for myself as well

We're both having a really annoying problem though with connecting to our wireless network. It connects fine after entering the WEP, but neither of us are able to access any websites or download our mail.

We have a Netgear WAP that's about 2 metres away and we're only getting 2 bars of signal

I've tried restarted both the WAP and both the iPod's, as well renewing the lease on the network on mine, but nothing seems to resolve the problem. I have tried looking at our WAP yet as we can access the internet fine on our Mac's.

Update... this is strange, but for some reason if I access google.com and search something, it loads instantly, but with any other website it simply refuses to load. Very odd.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known problem?

Hopefully someone can help

Steve.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock

Last edited by MagSafe : 2008-02-09 at 16:29.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-02-09, 18:41

I just got mine yesterday, but don't have the same problem. Mine is only 16GB, mind you. Have you tried it with any other Wi-Fi networks yet: i.e., is it the Touch or is it your wireless?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
JohnnyTheA

2008-02-10, 05:04

My Touch works pretty well in MOST places in my house. I don't think the antenna on the touch is as good as the antennas laptops use for WiFi. Also the nature of hand-held means that the antenna moves around alot. I have had cases where the net just freezes, but if I move the phone a foot in one direction, it comes back...

JTA
MagSafe

2008-02-10, 07:47

Thanks for the replies

I don't think the signal is too much of an issue, as when I use google.com it works completely fine

My dad's used his on another network and said it's been fine and everything worked as it should, so it appears to be ours. I'm just not sure how to resolve it, as our wireless network works perfectly on Mac & Windows pc's.

I just find it really weird though, why would our WAP be blocking everything else except Google, and only on our iPod's?

I'm just hoping someone out there has some idea of what could be causing this, as at the moment I haven't got the faintest idea!

Thanks again,

Steve.

MagSafe

2008-02-10, 13:47

Just to let people know I went out and picked up an Airport Extreme earlier to replace my aging access point ... and this has resolved the problem

I put it down to the 7 year old Netgear access point getting on a bit, or the WEP security settings I was using weren't supported properly on the touch (a few forum's I googled mentioned this)

Either way this has solved our problem