The Earth Is Flat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Earth Is Flat
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-29, 10:46

There are but how can they say it is flat when the horizon disappears? This is a shot from my reenlistment in the Persian Gulf. I didn't want to reenlist ON my ship and wanted to fly so I got them to let me do it airborne with my Division Officer, I'm on the right with the ship in the background:

What happened to the rest of the Gulf? Why can't I see land that is maybe a hundred miles on either side in this picture?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-29, 10:53

Two things:

1) Nope. Lens effect, and "haze" which obscures the horizon. DUH!

2) What's up with that mustache?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-29, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But some are really smart/educated and dialed-in about everything else. It's that weird disconnect that they're otherwise sane/functioning, but throw in with this particular belief/theory - with absolutely nothing to back it up - that I find interesting.

"You can shop for groceries, pay your cable bill, wash your car, buy tickets to the symphony, take your nephew to the zoo, cook a great meal...but you think we're all just on a flat table, surrounded by ice, and if we go too far...".
Aren’t we past the point where we realize that being educated equals intelligent? Or that having a higher than average IQ makes someone rational? Anyone can memorize things to do well on a test (or just cheat), but that doesn’t mean they have the wisdom to take advantage of what they learned. Not to mention those who simply don’t believe what they learned because a parent/mentor in their life thought otherwise, and so they do too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-29, 11:09

I'm using it to differentiate the full-on dumbass segment.

I fully know what's up re: education/intelligence...one often has nothing to do with the other. I'm 52, so that means I've seen plenty of examples to back it up. Hell, I've participated in some.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-29, 11:22

Intelligence has little to do with gullibility. I know lots of very, very smart people who believe in the weirdest of conspiracies.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-29, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Two things:

1) Nope. Lens effect, and "haze" which obscures the horizon. DUH!

2) What's up with that mustache?
I mean, with that picture I could believe that. My eyeballs that were there though, I know what I saw. It wasn't haze or lens distortion. Interesting argument though.

It was the one thing I could get away with not shaving, so I grew it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-29, 13:04

I've been out on the ocean, and I know what I saw, too. But, you cannot fix the perception that people get when a smooth talker tells them what they are seeing is something different than reality. Thus, the "lens effect". Fish eye cameras are the new "proof" of this effect. All cameras, in fact, produce this effect, so you cannot trust pictures. And, since your eyes are "cameras", you cannot trust them.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-04-29, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Australia isn’t real.
It’s true.

It’s unreal!