User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

anyone know about power adapters?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
anyone know about power adapters?
brianwah

2005-08-31, 22:45

I picked up a kensington Universal car/air power adapter to use with my ancient sony Vaio. I used the thing once last year in Feb.

Now i have my new ibook but it seems this device doesn't work for macs? So now i have to buy another Kensington adapter specially made for macs?

It has 7 tips and 4 output voltage plugs/breakers. I can't believe the ibook is so unique in it's power supply?

Anyone know / use this thing on a mac?

Thanks!
iDorf

2005-09-01, 12:14

Must be VERY careful with 3rd party adapters, especially "universal" units. It's and accident waiting to happen - wrong voltage or polarity setting - POOOOF!!!

I strongly recommend "dedicated" chargers. If you must use a third party unit, get one from a reputable manufacturer like APC (www.apc.com). I bought an APC for my clamshell iBook - very nice - safe to use.

Last edited by iDorf : 2005-09-01 at 12:16.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-09-01, 12:25

I'd consider Kensington to be a reputable company too, but you can't be sure that your adapter will work with your iBook. See if you can check for compatibility on their website, and also see if the connector will even fit (without plugging it in, yet).

If you need a new one, you can probably get it from one of several companies. The main thing is to make sure it officially supports your iBook. In many cases this will end up costing you more money but that's the price you pay to get something that works.