User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New PM...so what...(not a spec whore complaint but a prosumer complaint)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New PM...so what...(not a spec whore complaint but a prosumer complaint)
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-09, 09:24

(thegelding showing bad form and bitching--kinda--the day of an update...please bear with me...or bare with me, whichever you prefer)

ok, so we have new PM...they are very nice, still beautiful, lots of upgradability yada yada yada....the professional world sez thank you and bring on the 3 ghz model soon.....

but what about the prosumers out there?? we have the iMac that needs an update (and will likely get one soon--WWDC anyone) and that is it....

and what about the switchers?? is apple forgetting that group (has apple lost interest?)

yes you can do a lot of great things with the iMac (i love love mine)...and yes the floating screen is amazing to use...

but we need a mini tower TODAY....

i have a couple of PC people that want to switch to mac now...but they don't need/want dual towers that cost 2 to 3 thousand...

they are fearful of an AIO because they believe (likely wrongly, but you gotta give the people what they want) that they need to be able to upgrade (even though i still have my 1999 iMac DV running beautifully for the kids with no upgrades except ram and airport) and they (perhaps rightly) don't want to be held to one screen for the life of the computer..or vice versa...would like to have a screen to use on this computer and likely the next...

and i know this complaint is old and maybe even tired...but dang it, most people only need a nice single processor and the ability to add ram (up to 2 gigs is more more more than most need or want), wireless and change the graphics card once and a while....

would this eat into PM sales?? fuck yeah...but it is the only way to get switchers...it is the only way to get people who don't like AIO computers...it is the only way to get people to buy those beautiful apple flat screens in droves...

will the next iMac with 20" flat screen and G5 processor answer all this?? maybe...time will tell...but a miniPM seems like such a no-brainer...keep the cost margins the same as the iMac or PM...i don't care...just bring it on

end silly gelded rant

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-09, 09:31

Shut up.

Seriously, some good points...and stuff to think about! I wonder about those things quite a bit too.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-09, 13:17

Apple sells a $1299 mini tower right now.

I don't see what the problem is.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-09, 13:24

not so mini...not current design...not G5

g
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-09, 13:36

The G4 towers are really bad deals now with the update to the G5. The thing is, who would get a dual 1.25 GHz G4 for $1600 when you can get a dual 1.8 GHz G5 for $400 more? It was one thing when you were comparing dual G4 to single G5, but now the dual 1.25 GHz G4 is a rip off.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-09, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
The G4 towers are really bad deals now with the update to the G5. The thing is, who would get a dual 1.25 GHz G4 for $1600 when you can get a dual 1.8 GHz G5 for $400 more? It was one thing when you were comparing dual G4 to single G5, but now the dual 1.25 GHz G4 is a rip off.
Unless you need native OS 9.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-09, 14:43

prices off...but give me that mini tower

g

and likely the tower would be longer...more of a rectangle
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-09, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You don't have to complain about them anymore. According to .com the G4's are not in production anymore. They are just selling the warehoused ones now. Well only the duals G4's are still in production.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=498

giggity
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-09, 15:12

I'm not complaining about the PowerMac G4s really... I just think it would be good to have a more up-to-date lineup. Even though Apple probably wouldn't want to, the PowerMac G4 is the perfect low-end tower. Sell a dual 1.33 or 1.42 GHz for $1400 or so and it would probably sell quite well.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-09, 15:13

Quote:
You don't have to complain about them anymore. According to .com the G4's are not in production anymore. They are just selling the warehoused ones now. Well only the duals G4's are still in production.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=498

Correct.

Dual G4s are still in production. Singles are not.

I didn't read all of your post at first...sorry.

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2004-06-09 at 15:15. Reason: Updated
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-06-09, 15:59

I'm sort of stuck WRT this issue myself. I'm not a hard core user in that I don't need the power of a G5 but I'd like something more powerful than my powerbook. I'm happy with my powerbook for the most part but I think I'd like a little more power at home. The iMac is a rip off right now mostly because I only need the computer itself. I'll probably end up getting a G5 in a few months but I'd rather not have to pay for all the stuff I know I'm not going to need. Oh well... I guess I could get another powerbook and just use it as a desktop when I want to and sell my current one... Bah.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-06-09, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
(snip)

prices off...but give me that mini tower

g

and likely the tower would be longer...more of a rectangle
I can't help but think of the 90s model confusion. I don't know if this is a good idea.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-09, 17:01

call it PowerMacMini

i don't think the pros will be confused...they will want PowerMac Duals

as for the ad above...just using to show the small PM...don't think apple would or should do the large crazy extreme PM...

or don't even call it a PowerMac

maybe G5 mini

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough