AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple releases updated Power Mac G5s

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple releases updated Power Mac G5s
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-09, 10:33

Even though I was one of the guys pining for an upgrade to 3 GHz, I'm surprisingly not unhappy about the clock speed at all. What I think is a shame is that there is really nothing else in this update that is changed from the old PowerMacs. Basically, outside of the faster clock speed, you have dual processors on the low end, liquid cooling on the high end, 8x Superdrives, and a slight graphics update.

I am very disappointed that we waited a year for a mere 25% increase in speed, coupled with the fact that they STILL use the exact same 8x AGP bus instead of PCI Express, they STILL limit the "low end" to 4 RAM slots, and they STILL only provide PCI-X on the high end models. What's the deal with that? I'm very glad there are duals across the board, but it seems like if we wait a year we should get some new technology on the motherboard.

Anyway, it doesn't affect me because there's no chance of me getting a G5 anytime soon. However, a friend of mine IS considering one, and he said he would get one once they're updated... now that they are, I think he'll go for the middle one since the low end still has numerous limitations.
EDS66

2004-06-09, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
You said it... and properly implemented ones have none of those problems.

Which kind would you guess Apple would be more likely to produce? Just a guess.
I was wondering when someone would call me on that choice of words

It's a lot easier to screw things up with water cooling than with forced air and big heatsinks. So many things can go wrong here: condensation, leaks, gradual loss of efficiency due to evaporation of the cooling liquid, just plain old physical damage from improper handling (assuming the pipes are exposed..I will look at the internal layout as soon as my local dealer has one on display).

All I am trying to say, I guess is that it looks like Apple had to implement a rather risky cooling solution to release faster machines. That's all. And again, I would not recommend rushing and ordering these beasts right away. Give it a couple of months; see what people are saying, etc. If I were buying now, I would go for the dual 2.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-06-09, 10:50

I'm pretty happy with the updates...after eugene put the upgrade into perspective. Either way I still plan on purchasing a dual 1.8. I've always felt that I should have got a G5 instead of a PowerBook 15" 1.25Ghz last year because I need the extra power. While I have become well acquainted with the portability of my PowerBook, I could live with a tower because it will give me the the extra power that I need. Plus hopefully my parents will buy my PowerBook off of me.

So my next question...how much do you think I could get for my PowerBook?

-1.25Ghz
-Combo Drive
-512MB RAM
-Backlit Keyboard
-80GB HD
-All original documentation and stuff to go with it.
-Only problems are the deterioration of the aluminium from sweat where your palms rest, and small nick on the corner of the top of my screen.

I'm thinking $1200-$1500? Anyone want to make an offer?
EDS66

2004-06-09, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I'm pretty happy with the updates...after eugene put the upgrade into perspective. Either way I still plan on purchasing a dual 1.8. I've always felt that I should have got a G5 instead of a PowerBook 15" 1.25Ghz last year because I need the extra power. While I have become well acquainted with the portability of my PowerBook, I could live with a tower because it will give me the the extra power that I need. Plus hopefully my parents will buy my PowerBook off of me.

So my next question...how much do you think I could get for my PowerBook?

-1.25Ghz
-Combo Drive
-512MB RAM
-Backlit Keyboard
-80GB HD
-All original documentation and stuff to go with it.
-Only problems are the deterioration of the aluminium from sweat where your palms rest, and small nick on the corner of the top of my screen.

I'm thinking $1200-$1500? Anyone want to make an offer?
Man, I just sold my 12' revision B for $1300. You should be asking for around $1700 for yours.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-09, 11:36

The new 2.5GHz model is a 90nm part; not sure about the other two models but it would seem logical that they end up with a range of clockable chips. Wouldn't be surprised if they are all 90nm. There are some whitepapers Apple has posted but I haven't had the time today to read them yet. Answers should be in there. Go to the Spec page I think and you'll see them.

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-09, 11:50

no single processor tower for the low end?? how about a single 1.6 or 1.8 for 1699...grrrr

or a mini tower for 1499 or less

g
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-06-09, 11:57

Okay. So here's the question: What happened to the 975s?

The new G5s are all 970FXs, but we know that IBM hasn't been having any problems producing 975s right alongside the 970FXs. We now have liquid cooling, so that solves the heat problem. What don't we have yet?

PCI Express and new cards from ATi and nVidia. Isn't it conceivable that Apple held off on the 3 GHz (975-powered) G5s because they're waiting for ATi and nVidia to produce their new cards? Out of all the rumors and news I've seen, there have been no problems getting the 975s out, and on schedule even! So if they're on schedule, then Apple should be able to do the 3 GHz G5s by now.

I can't see any other obvious holdups other than ATi and nVidia at this point, and PCI Express of course - it could be possible that Apple is having issues implementing PCI Express but I haven't seen anything to that effect yet, and of course Apple has delayed product announcements because of ATi and/or nVidia in the past, too.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-09, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
no single processor tower for the low end?? how about a single 1.6 or 1.8 for 1699...grrrr

or a mini tower for 1499 or less

g

Don't make me come over there....

If Apple offers a SP model, everyone gets upset that the lineup isn't "all dual". Now they offer "all dual" and people (not just you I realize) are saying there should be a SP model. For the money, the dual 1.8 is an awesome - and I mean Awesome - value. We have one at work for post-production stuff and it is very impressive.

Get one and be happy.

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-09, 12:05

well one thing for sure...all dual PM G5 means that the iMac gets a single G5 very very soon or that a minitower is likely very very soon....likely the iMac not the mini

g

waiting for the new iMac G5 design...hoping it is not like pscates (sorry dude..i love your stuff, but not the iMacG5...i know your design saves on the arm, but not loving the fat base with monitor on top...perhaps if i saw your finished design and not the hand drawings ...and when are you starting your mockup page here?? ...see, if i ask for it enough it might happen...worked in high school while dating )

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-09, 12:27

Oh, you gotta love the triangle bread box base...come on!

Imagine white and glossy, softly rounded edges, nice 20" screen, takes up hardly any front-to-back space, display swivels and tilts, etc.

Where's the LOVE?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-06-09, 12:42

I think thegelding has it right...

Single G5 (1.6) is now shifting to the iMacG5 (announced by WWDC)

PMs are all dual until we see quad machines.

As for the stability of water-cooling in Macs...
Some PowerBooks from the Pismo to Ti rev B did have heatpipes (filled with water, IIRC) for heat dissipation... never heard of one springing a leak.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-09, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
As for the stability of water-cooling in Macs...
Some PowerBooks from the Pismo to Ti rev B did have heatpipes (filled with water, IIRC) for heat dissipation... never heard of one springing a leak.
There has never been any water inside PowerBooks. Heat pipes are just ways to direct the heat out of the laptop. They aren't filled with water.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-09, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Oh, you gotta love the triangle bread box base...come on! ... Where's the LOVE?

Seriously. People livin' like they ain't got no mamas!
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-06-09, 13:20

I see somehow noticed my poor grammar and fixed it. Thank you.