Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Most Ridiculous Piece of Audio Equipment Ever

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Most Ridiculous Piece of Audio Equipment Ever
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-12, 22:47

That's a pretty high bar, right? I mean there is some really nutty stuff out there, like cables that cost thousands of dollars. But this...this takes the cake. I don't know, maybe The Onion is running this site. Just check this out and have a good laugh:

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

Quote:
The Blackbody is a high-tech audio accessory which greatly enhances your audio playback experience by addressing the interaction of your audio gear's circuitry with ambient electromagnetic phenomena and modifying this interplay. The Blackbody takes advantage of the quantum nature of particle interaction, and is therefore able to permeate metal, plastic, wood, and other barriers to affect the circuitry inside your components. This altered electromagnetic influence results in profoundly improved sound quality.

How much is it? Why, it's only $959. But wait there's more. For optimum effectiveness, they recommend you purchase three! That's only $3000. What does it do? Who the bleep knows, except give me a chuckle.
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-12-13, 01:37

Here's the Lessloss logo:

which is clearly a moose crossed with a tyrannosaurus rex. So, you know, there's that.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-13, 02:03

"The sculpture of the Blackbody combines the best of Bauhaus, Alvar Aalto and Arne Jacobsen industrial design tradition with fresh and contemporary creativity."

Oh, and:

"Please e-mail Louis Motek before ordering."

Why, that's not suspicious at all! Ooh, who wants to e-mail him?

info [at] lessloss.com (subject: Blackbody)

I'm secretly hoping he would tell any orderers that it is all a joke, but considering the other products he LessLoss Audio Devices sells...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-12-13, 04:57

I know Lithuanians have a tendency to stick with their ideas, even the most crazy ones. But this shit sounds like a page out of Something Awful more than a mere scam. I think these guys intend to add a big laugh to their victims expenses.

Quote:
Liudas is great to deal with: excellent communication and service. The cables are very well made and well worth the money. Thanks!
Of course they also sell cables.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-12-13, 13:43

The other forum I frequent (which incorporates professional sound engineers) has a thread where we collect these. Here's a few gems:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm
Stylish

http://www.russandrews.com/product-C...ators-4227.htm
I'm sure these work.

http://www.shunmook.com/text1.htm
O-kay.

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...WPIEOTLNSUZOMH
Ok, admittedly, this may actually do something. But the price is pretty special.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-13, 15:23

I think it would be cheaper to hire your own orchestra than buy some of this snake oil.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-12-13, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I think it would be cheaper to hire your own orchestra than buy some of this snake oil.
But but but, those little wood pieces to raise your golden cables 1.5" with are so worth £33 for four.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-12-13, 15:52

I think a bunch of bored (possibly rich) engineers and scientist types decided to get together and have a bet about whether the placebo effect applies to audio systems and "golden ear" audiophiles. So they place a "magic block" around the components and wait for the golden ears to go "oh YAH... I can totally hear the difference!"

...into the light of a dark black night.