Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

PPC slowdown anyone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PPC slowdown anyone?
mattzees

2006-06-04, 23:09

I'm wondering if it's just me, or others experiencing this too;

After updating my PPC Powerbook with the most recent OSX security patch, my machine has become very slow, particularly with DNS resolution. I spoke to a friend who runs a Logic recording studio, and he said that his machine (also updated) now overloads the processor doing routine audio processing that it had been able to accomplish in the past.

Isn't it strange how this happened when the new Intel Macs came out?

I'm seriously contemplating reloading Panther, and not updating it with any patch beyond 3/2006.

Anyone else?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-06-04, 23:15

Nope. My PPC PowerBook is just fine.

Apple would never do that. If it ever got out that Apple was purposely hampering their older machines to drive people to upgrade, their brand would take a nosedive. Apple has one of the strongest, most trusted brands out there.

Driving a few people to buy new Macs isn't worth the risk destroying an entire, 30 year old brand.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-04, 23:17

What Kraetos said.

Both of my PPC Macs are operating in tip-top condition with all updates installed, too.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-05, 00:08

My iMac G5 actually does seem slower. Today I had it freeze for the first time ever, and it just seems sluggish lately. Don't know if it is related to a security patch though
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-06-05, 10:27

My PCC emac works fine along with my PPC powerbook :P
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-05, 12:46

*sniff sniff*

Conspiracy troll?

Or just a mere coincidence???

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-05, 13:09

Maybe your PPC slowdown has to do with Apple spying on your email... it's all part of the same shadowy attempt to control you.

Last edited by Engine Joe : 2006-06-05 at 15:15.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-05, 14:59

My computer's seem to be slower latley too. Safari has REALLY been slow even after reseting it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-05, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
My computer's seem to be slower latley too. Safari has REALLY been slow even after reseting it.
Quit Safari. Empty ~/Library/Safari/Icons. Relaunch.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-05, 16:11

I don't have a folder called "safari" under library.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-05, 16:17

Quote:
Are you sure you're looking in your user-specific library, not the system-wide one?

Your hard drive -> Users -> windowsrookie -> Library -> Safari

NOT

Your hard drive -> Library -> Safari
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-05, 16:19

Quote:
When we type the tilde (~), that's shorthand for your own Home folder.

So, go into your own user Library, and you'll see a Safari folder.

Generally, any setting or cache or whatever that you'd use in your own personal work will be in the Library folder in your Home folder (in other words, "~/Library"). Anything that's used by all users would usually be in the System Library.
chucker

2006-06-05, 16:24

There are three (four, but the last is hardly used, so disregard it) different libraries; one for each "domain". There's the system domain, the local domain, the network domain and the user domain.

The system domain is, for the most part, exclusively for Apple-provided things.
The local domain is for everything else specific to your computer.
Forget about the network one. Chances are you'll never use it.
The user domain, finally, is specific to your user account.

This separation makes a lot of sense (and I find it sorely lacking in Windows). For example, for the most part, OS X only truly relies on what's in /System/Library, i.e. what Apple provides. Applications you or others install on your computer, on the other hand, often rely on things in /Library, which are shared among all users. Finally, for preferences and other things that only relate to your user (your address book, for instance), there's /Users/you/Library.