Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Old iMac Screen Problem.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Old iMac Screen Problem.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-03, 01:40

So I rearragened the office today and when I turned the Mac back the screen was a bit screwy. The right side has a weird yellow tinge to it. It seems to extend off any open windows but is especially noticeable off small Finder windows. I tried recalibrating the display, restarting, sacrificing a small rodent. Nothing works. Any ideas what is going on or is this just the beginning of the slow painful death of an aged computer?

Here's a screen shot...

http://members.rogers.com/inactionman/ai/wtf.jpg

Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-03, 01:47

The screenshot looks fine to me which means you're probably suffering a hardware problem. So, yes, it's just the sign of an aging CRT.

I take it your iMac has outlived its AppleCare?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-03, 01:49

It would never show up in a screenshot.

Chances are you have a speaker too close to it? The magnets will warp/discolor the CRT image.

Last edited by johnq : 2005-01-03 at 01:55.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-03, 02:02

There's no speakers close to the screen. Just the iPod and external HD. Yeah, no AppleCare...it's a Sage iMac. I guess I'll just have to buy the headless Mac in a few weeks.

It's weird, I swear the distortion is in the screenshot...very faint yellow to the right of the open window. It looks like a nicotine stain, which is what I thought it was at first given my nasty habit of chain smoking at the computer.

Crap. I don't want my iMac to die on me, I love this thing.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-03, 02:10

Are you sure the screen isn't dirty? When my mom used to smoke, the iMac I loaned her got so nasty I didn't want it back after she borrowed it. Yellowed all over, impossible to clean.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-03, 02:17

Not dirty, I just cleaned some of the nicotine off last week. I'll let it get a good night sleep and see if it comes around in the morning. Hopefully the screen will still work in the morning. Time to say a little prayer for my TarMac.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-03, 02:27

You can always use it as a server when you get the new Mac. Just dim the screen and remove the keyboard and mouse.

And smoke on the porch!

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein