AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Simple css layout

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Simple css layout
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-12-01, 22:21

Hey guys,
I'm not that good with css and I trying to do something and it doesn't work. It's for a site layout.

So I got a fixed content area that need to be centered. On each side, there is some graphics but there are "optionnale" I don't want scroll bar if the sceen isn't wide enough.... like gametrailers.com. Anyone could help me start this ?

I could easily do this with a table but... I would like to avoid that

To make it clear:
liquidOptionnal - Fixed - liquidOptionnal

...centered

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2008-12-01, 22:45

a quick look at the source code and i find this in one of their stylesheets:

Code:
body { background: #000000 url(/images/GT_VGA_Gamestop_SiteSkin_Final.jpg) repeat-y scroll top center; }
looks like its just a repeating background image and the main content is centered inside of it.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-12-01, 23:06

Yeah but mine needs to be 2 different on each side... Well I could do it with one but, It would just feel weird. Cause there will be a fixed background on each side+a repeating bg. I'll use nested div to do it cause I can't use multiple background as it's CSS3 only right ?

Anyway, if somebody could suggest something with 2 div snapped to the content area

But thanks for the reply. I guess my example wasn't that good.

Partial
Stallion

2008-12-02, 01:28

It looks like Gametrailers looks like this:

Set flexible % based widths on the outer container elements, and set a fixed width for the main content container. I would think that would take care of it, but I'm more of a server side guy myself.

Code:
<div id="blackBackground"> <div id="images"> <div id="mainContentContainer"> </div> </div> </div>

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-12-02, 16:41

Well that's another 1 image solution. I'll be doin' a 3 table cell if nobody comes with a solution within the next... let say 3 hours.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-12-02, 22:03

I've found a semi-solution. The dvi are placed correctly but the sidebars would need to be the same height as the content. Any idea from here ? At least, you got a clear a idea of what I'm trying to do. Now if the height would follow, that would be perfect.

here what I got:
Code:
<html> <head> <title>Untitled</title> <style type="text/css"> html,body { padding: 0; margin: 0; } body { text-align: center; } #content { background-color:#093; width: 853px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: left; } .column { width: 50%; position: absolute; top: 0; text-align: left; } .left { left: 0; } .right { right: 0; } #leftcol { background-color:#996; margin-right: 426px; } #rightcol { background-color:#F30; margin-left: 426px; } </style> </head> <body> <div id="content">Content<p>Content<p>Content<p>Content<p>Content<p></div> <div class="left column"> <div id="leftcol">left</div> </div> <div class="right column"> <div id="rightcol">right</div> </div> </body> </html>