User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

We keep talking about the iPad not having flash and silverlight... what about Java?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
We keep talking about the iPad not having flash and silverlight... what about Java?
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2010-03-08, 16:02

A lot of programs I use on the net or just plain apps programmed in Java (mainly speaking about my trading platform, ThinkorSwim). And this is a fortunate thing considering otherwise no one would make a mac trading platform at all!

They have a limited program on the iphone called iSwim, but on the iPad, you can make something so much better no web app a near full app. Mac system requirements are OS 10.4 Dual core Intel 1GB of RAM. I'm not saying that the iPad has the requirements, but the program does a lost and if slimmed down can work very well. Trading anywhere with near full capacity. Big screen, not much typing, touch interface is pretty perfect and would be a killer app for day traders.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-03-08, 16:12

I run into a Java applet on the web about a handful of times a year these days. Rather frequently in the 90s, but it's pretty much over.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-03-09, 21:51

My grandmother, a good candidate for iPad as a primary computing device to replace her PowerBook G4 (she also has an Intel iMac), plays on Pogo a lot, which uses Java. Though I'm sure they're plentiful, what Pogo-like games would you recommend? She seems to like the bubble-popping sort, the goofy theme-slot machine games, and some of the word games.

The only one that comes to mind for me is Words With Friends, but that's not exactly what she's used to.

She also likes the free multiplayer poker sites (PokerStars, etc). Any recommendations there?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-03-16, 08:48

My wife just ix-nayed an iPad for herself last night when she discovered that she can't log into her NCSU Vista account from an iPad because the system uses Java, which the iPad presumably does not have installed.

I have to say, I'm coming around to the idea that the iPad's lack of some technologies, while understandable (I hate both Flash and Java) will be a pain in the ass more than with the iPhone. You really want to do regular ol' web surfing and there's just enough of these plug-ins missing to make that annoying at times. My recommendation of course is for sites like NCSU's Vista to move into the 00's with their technology, but in the meantime, I could see how this would retard iPad adoption. It's sort of like AppleTV and its lack of good casual TV viewing options.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-16, 08:49

I just started subscribing to ESPN.com, and a lot of their site is Flash, which kind of bummed me out.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-03-16, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I just started subscribing to ESPN.com, and a lot of their site is Flash, which kind of bummed me out.
Dude, you've got a bad rash called "Flash" and you need to get it treated.

This thread is about Java!

Personally, I hate Java sites so I just find other things to use.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-03-16, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
My wife just ix-nayed an iPad for herself last night when she discovered that she can't log into her NCSU Vista account from an iPad because the system uses Java, which the iPad presumably does not have installed.

I have to say, I'm coming around to the idea that the iPad's lack of some technologies, while understandable (I hate both Flash and Java) will be a pain in the ass more than with the iPhone. You really want to do regular ol' web surfing and there's just enough of these plug-ins missing to make that annoying at times. My recommendation of course is for sites like NCSU's Vista to move into the 00's with their technology, but in the meantime, I could see how this would retard iPad adoption. It's sort of like AppleTV and its lack of good casual TV viewing options.
Is this account for accessing the network or specific services? My university uses a Java-based login system for its wireless network but they set up MAC filters for mobile devices.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-16, 21:51

This thread just reminded me that I've had this set for as many months as I can remember. I vaguely remember reading something about a Java security exploit some time last year and using that opportunity to turn it off. I haven't missed anything since.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-16, 21:57

Yeah, the lack of Java is just a total non-issue for me. Even more than Flash
Partial
Stallion

2010-03-16, 22:17

Java swing sucks. Java is a great language for handling server side stuff in an app server. No to applets and schtuff.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-03-16, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Is this account for accessing the network or specific services? My university uses a Java-based login system for its wireless network but they set up MAC filters for mobile devices.
My college uses a Cisco system for a similar purpose. Macs just have to log in via a web form, but PCs have to install a program. I seem to remember reading that the program is supposed to ensure the computer has antivirus software and such, but I may be misremembering.

I would expect a lot of IT departments to exempt devices like iPhone and iPad because they're so safe from a virus perspective. Not impenetrable, of course, but better than Mac OS X, certainly.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-16, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Java swing sucks. Java is a great language for handling server side stuff in an app server. No to applets and schtuff.
This x1000.

Just don't let the marketroids infiltrate your dev group, or you'll find yourself drowning in a sea of "enterprise" angle brackets (*cough* XML overdose *cough*).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-03-16, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
My college uses a Cisco system for a similar purpose. Macs just have to log in via a web form, but PCs have to install a program. I seem to remember reading that the program is supposed to ensure the computer has antivirus software and such, but I may be misremembering.

I would expect a lot of IT departments to exempt devices like iPhone and iPad because they're so safe from a virus perspective. Not impenetrable, of course, but better than Mac OS X, certainly.
Yeah, Cisco Clean Access. We require Mac users to run the client as well as Sophos.

Fortunately, I’m still on a MAC address filter list since I work for IT and I was an early adopter of Snow Leopard from before Cisco supported it.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-03-17, 08:20

I'm not sure if it's just for login, but from what I've seen, I do believe that's the case. Unfortunately, I haven't found (nor have I looked that hard) a workaround for mobile devices on the site.