AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Why is windows XP so damn expensive?!?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-02-19, 14:46

XP business edition is $170 at my campus bookstore (and that's 100 buck cheaper than amazon!) WTF!?

looks like I may just pony up for vista to run with bootcamp... grrrrrrrrrrrr
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-02-19, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
Because it's the best Windows you can get.

For that matter.. do you actually need a specific feature from XP Professional? If not, XP Home is just as good.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-02-19, 15:04

Uh, there isn't a Windows XP Business Edition. According to Microsoft itself, there are five versions:

- Home
- Pro
- Media Center
- Tablet PC
- x64

You're probably thinking of Pro. In that case, I would recommend getting an OEM copy from NewEgg for $140. Otherwise, if you want to go Vista, go for the OEM version of Home Premium for $110.

EDIT: And, as Koodari rightly pointed out, XP Home is probably fine too. The main restriction is in how many networking features it has compared to Pro, so it's likely that you won't even care. And XP Home is only $90.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-02-19, 15:21

Our bookstore didn't even offer it from what I could tell, but thanks for the heads up!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-02-19, 15:49

You think its bad now? As of June 30, XP will be officially discontinued,* at which point price will probably go up. Supply goes down, demand stays the same - price goes up.

Hopefully.... Vista SP1 will make Vista bearable. But if it doesn't there will be rioting on June 30. So.. get it while you still can.

*Support doesn't end until 2009, though.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2008-02-19 at 16:21.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-02-19, 16:06

Yeah... remember original Airport cards? For a lot of older Macs, it's your only option for wireless internet access. Those things were $100-$150 a pop, last I checked. Worth more than the computers they go in, I'd imagine!
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-02-19, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
Because it's the best Windows you can get.
Exactly what I was about to say
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-02-19, 19:21

I guess it depends on the university...I remember getting XP Professional for <$30 from my undergraduate institution (UT-Austin).
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-02-19, 19:49

one of my friends goes there... I could ask him about it.
iDorf

2008-02-19, 23:34

Be glad XP is available to pay a premium for!! You do know Vista is crap - right?

Last edited by iDorf : 2008-02-20 at 00:03.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-02-19, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
YHopefully.... Vista SP1 will make Vista bearable. But if it doesn't there will be rioting on June 30. So.. get it while you still can.
Thanks for posting a direct link, Kraetos. I just ordered a copy of XP Home to run via Boot Camp on my new iMac (and MBA if I get one). Being able to run Windows natively was one of the main reasons I upgraded to an Intel Mac.

I can't believe I just paid good money for bad Windows. But it's going to make my work life so much easier, as I have to use Web apps that only run in IE 6.0 on Windows.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-02-21, 21:47

My copy of XP arrived today. It's funny. The OEM version that NewEgg sells comes in a padded manila envelope, which sure makes it look like a bootleg copy -- save for all the Micro$soft licensing stickers all over it.

Will try to install and test out this weekend. Will be nice to be able to do work in IE 6.0 on my new iMac, rather than on the barely working, 7 year-old Dell laptop that I've borrowed from work.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-02-21, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
My copy of XP arrived today. It's funny. The OEM version that NewEgg sells comes in a padded manila envelope, which sure makes it look like a bootleg copy -- save for all the Micro$soft licensing stickers all over it.

Will try to install and test out this weekend. Will be nice to be able to do work in IE 6.0 on my new iMac, rather than on the barely working, 7 year-old Dell laptop that I've borrowed from work.
That's how they sell it at my bookstore. I spent like 5 minutes going through all the software and couldn't find it until I asked someone.