User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Super Bowl XLIV...who, what, where, when and how?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Super Bowl XLIV...who, what, where, when and how?
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-07, 12:57

Surprised no one has started a Super Bowl thread already...the pre-game shows have been going on since about Wednesday.

But seriously, this is the annual thread for all talk and arguments.

I'm not a big football fan/watcher, but I'll take in a few games each year, and this is usually one. It's the game, the commercials (although I think many are overrated/overreaching and just childish and hacky at this point), the halftime show (The Who this year ) and so on.

Anyway...put your picks, gripes, halftime show thoughts, favorite plays, thoughts on commercials, etc. Your one-stop 2010 Super Bowl thread. Brought to you by Ford, Frito-Lay, Sprint, Quaker State, Budweiser, Goodyear, Toyota, Icy Hot, Purina, Pepsi, Microsoft, KY Gels and Texas Instruments.

Post away!

I don't follow enough to have any true set allegiances, but I have to pick someone to pull for (just so it's more fun to watch). So I will be rooting for the Indianapolis Colts.

1. The Peyton Manning/Tennessee connection...it's pretty much a rule (I've seen a lot of Colts attire here in town the past two weeks. I believe most folks in this state are pulling for the Colts because of the QB). No big surprise or shock there.

2. I know a super-cool person from Indianapolis and so that just reflects even better on the city, that they produced such a fine, upstanding vixen of a citizen.

3. To be perfectly frank, I'm a tad New Orleans'd out at this point (I know that's going to cause FFL to blow a gasket, but he'll live...go rub a little Radiators on it and take two aspirin ). Kinda sick of hearing about it/them, that's all. But 1 and 2 above trump that, so it's not like I'm just being mean or making that my sole, main reason. Maybe if they were playing the Raiders or Dallas, I'd get behind them some?

I don't even know when the thing starts (sometime this evening?) 6:00-ish? Or later? I should go look it up.

Anyway, place your picks, wagers, predictions, cheers, boos, laughs outrage, etc. here as the day rolls on.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-02-07 at 21:25.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 13:39

I predict the Browns are gonna win it.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 13:42

I like chips and salsa.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-02-07, 13:54

I predict that I wont be watching it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-02-07, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I predict that I wont be watching it.
Yeah.

In years past, my only motivation was to see what kind of goofy, money-burning commercials were being made for the show. Now that all of them are posted online within minutes of airing, some of them already online, I have no other excuse to waste my Sunday evening parked in front of the television.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 14:32

Now that seasons 1-5 are on Watch Instant, I'm planning on (finally) starting the Lost TV series...so I reckon that will be my rabbit hole for this evening.

Although I do really, really hope the Saints get pounded, I won't be watching.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 14:49

I've got mah beer, I've got mah nachos, I've got my friends over to watch and scream at the game on my big plasma...

Oh wait, no, I'm at work today. Woot.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-02-07, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
3. To be perfectly frank, I'm a tad New Orleans'd out at this point (I know that's going to cause FFL to blow a gasket, but he'll live...go rub a little Radiators on it and take two aspirin ). Kinda sick of hearing about it/them, that's all. But 1 and 2 above trump that, so it's not like I'm just being mean or making that my sole, main reason. Maybe if they were playing the Raiders or Dallas, I'd get behind them some?
Oh, I'm not surprised... I predicted the coming of the Katrina/NOLA backlash a couple weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
It's gonna be hugely overplayed, especially with the Katrina factor... but even before the hurricane levee breaches, there was certainly no NFL city more connected to its team (and vice-versa) than NOLA and the Saints.
From what I've been reading online, though, the majority of unaffiliated watchers are rooting for the Saints:
http://www.google.com/search?saints+america's+team

I have always liked Peyton and against anyone else I'd most likely be rooting for the Colts... but....

Geaux Saints!

Iago

2010-02-07, 15:15

I will be up eating nachos and watching at STUPID O'CLOCK GMT.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-07, 15:23

Well, FFL, I think there enough several gazillion others pulling for the Saints to offset my weenie, one-day lack of support (I did the right thing back in 2005 - and afterwards - when it counted).

So I'm not gonna cry if they get their brains pounded out today.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-02-07, 15:30

Although this was published just before the NFC Championship game a couple weeks ago, this remains my favorite of the many (tens of thousands?) articles on the Saints as the Sentimental Favorites... from a Wall Street Journal blog, no less:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...528842758.html

Q: May I root against the New Orleans Saints?

A: No, you may not. Rooting against the Saints is like rooting against Elin Nordegren. They're the Sentimental Team of the Century; if Dick Enberg were calling the NFC championship game, he'd need a trailer truck of Kleenex. Even if you forget everything that New Orleans endured during Hurricane Katrina—and how could you?—they're the Saints, the former Aints, one of the most hard-luck franchises in the history of hard luck. Not long ago, newborns came into the world in New Orleans hospitals with tiny grocery bags on their heads.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 16:20

I don't really care who wins. I would prefer the Saints, but I suspect the Colts.

What I'm most interested in is the Chocolate Covered Bacon that I am making right now.

And the BBQ Chicken, bacon and Pineapple Pizzas on the Grill that we will make later.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 16:36

Don't forget about Puppy Bowl.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-02-07, 17:05

I liked this bit at Buddy's Broads

Quote:
My friend is selling his Saint's tickets. This is the view from his seats if anyone is interested.
Spoiler (click to toggle):

GET IN LINE!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-07, 17:13

Well, hello there.

Oh, yeah...and the Puppy Bowl. It's way too cute. I usually watch a bit of it each year. Any beagles in the line-up this year?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 17:15

Nice tight end.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-07, 17:25

No, I'm thinking she's more of a wide receiver.

I didn't say that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-02-07 at 17:45.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-02-07, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
And the BBQ Chicken, bacon and Pineapple Pizzas on the Grill that we will make later.
Oh man that sounds good. Now I want to go buy pizza crust and sauce and make a cheeseless version of that. Thanks :P
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-02-07, 18:14

Wow - amateur hour production.

The head sound guy for CBS Sports needs to be fired.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-07, 18:21

Queen Latifah is singing. She pulled her ear monitor out and I don't know if that helped or made it worse.

And now there's Carrie Underwood singing.

Ooh, a little pitchy, dawg.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 18:26

Quote:
[...]

And now there's Carrie Underwood singing.

[...]
Engaged to an Ottawa hockey player, BTW. What is she doing on a football field?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 18:30

Call me in June, when the rest of the world is playing real football.

Enjoy the game guys.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 18:31

Quote:
No, I'm thinking she's more of a wide receiver.

I didn't say that.
HAHA! You fell right into my trap, puny human!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-07, 18:48

I swear, these commercials get more juvenile (and predictable) every year. Dumb guys, doing dumb things while enjoying Doritos or beer.

Really? That's all you've got? Year in and year out?

Seriously. All this money and attention focused on your company, and it's just wall-to-wall pratfalls, nutshots (real sub-"Jackass" stuff) and guys training their dogs to hit on women or whatever.

[davidspade]Oh, and I liked "Robin Hood" better the first time I saw it...when it was called "Braveheart".[/davidspade]
Iago

2010-02-07, 18:53

Quote:
I swear, these commercials get more juvenile (and predictable) every year. Dumb guys, doing dumb things while enjoying Doritos or beer.

Really? That's all you've got? Year in and year out?

Seriously. All this money and attention focused on your, and it's just pratfalls and nutshots and guys training their dogs to hit on women or whatever.

[davidspade]Oh, and I liked "Robin Hood" better the first time I saw it...when it was called "Braveheart".[/davidspade]
Cool story bro.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 18:53

Hey, I forgot about the commercials. Is there a site where we Canucks can see the U.S. commercials?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-02-07, 18:56

Thus far, the Doritos commercials are kicking ass (literally).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-07, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
Cool story bro.
Ooh...I forgot the field. I'll need to request that reel.

EDIT: 10-0, Colts.

Hope it's not a one-sided blowout, and there's some good back-and-forth and tension.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-02-07, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Engaged to an Ottawa hockey player, BTW. What is she doing on a football field?
Getting far away from the embarrassment that the Senators were against the Leafs last night.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-02-07, 19:28

a little Mod Pub spillover for y'all…

I just banned a spammer, and got to use my favorite Ban Message ever:

"WHO DAT say dey gonna spam this board?"