AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Post your iOS device home screen

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Post your iOS device home screen
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-17, 14:00

I could have sworn we had a thread on this, but I guess I couldn't find it or it doesn't exist.

Anyways, since finally upgrading my iPhone, I have changed my home screen layout for the first time in years. It's been a few days, but it's still taking some getting used to. I used to just keep Apple apps on the home screen and everything else on other screens. I was just used to it that way and it kept it kind of clean.

I kept my home screen like this for a very long time:

Now, I have gone with this, but I think I still may make some changes to it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-10-17, 14:45

Nevermind the home screen. Just look at this awesome lock screen!

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-17, 14:52

I thought it was a bite out of the apple for a minute.

That's pretty cool.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-10-17, 17:12

Here's my lock and home screens...

I used to have 4 groups on the bottom for the most common stuff I use, but I'm having a play with swiping instead of groups on the 4S. The next few pages are:-
  • Tools (iCal, Calculator, Reminders, Etc)
  • Social (Safari, Facebook, Twitter, Etc)
  • Media (Music, Camera, Photos, Movies, iMove... And so on)
  • Office Stuff (Pages, Keynote, Remotes, Etc)
  • Shopping
  • Info (News apps, Wikipedia, Weather, Etc)
  • Games

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!

Last edited by Gargoyle : 2011-10-17 at 17:21. Reason: iPhone4 screenshots are massive!!! ;-)
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2011-10-17, 19:15

Awesome background Gargoyle. Do you mind posting the image?

Also - do you really keep the first page naked? Is that even possible?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-17, 23:50

I'm not going to post my lock screen since it's my kids.... however here is my home screen, it's my wife:

by turtle2472, on Flickr

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Gargoyle

2011-10-18, 06:17

Sorry, I can't post the images, they are from digitalblasphemy.com (Well worth the very modest membership fee)

Yes, I realised a little while ago that you can leave the first screen blank. If you are doing your arranging in iTunes, leave one app behind on the first screen, and then drag it over on the phone.

It survives subsequent syncs, but I suspect it will remove the blank screen if you re-arange your icons in iTunes.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Gargoyle

2011-10-20, 15:51

I'll be fixing my image links soon. Just moving things about on my server.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-10-21, 00:25

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-21, 01:24

Funny to see how people use pages v. groups of apps.

Personally, I keep the apps I use on a regular basis in the first two pages. My "groups" are reserved for all the useless Apple apps that I cannot delete... relegated to the third page or further back.

I have no idea how to take a screenshot in iOS. But once I figure it out I will post in here...

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-21, 01:33

Pssst.... just press the power button and home button at the same time.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-21, 01:51

What's this supposed to do, Brad? All I get is "slide to power off."
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-10-21, 03:30

Push both buttons simultaneously, then quickly let go (if you hold them, the device will eventually restart). You should see the screen flash white if it works.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-10-21, 03:39

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-10-21, 07:23

From my 3GS, which I've had for a few weeks but just activated yesterday. I like to have as few screens as possible. Stuff I use very frequently is on the first screen, outside the folders.

The games folders have all the rest of my games in them. Everything else is on the second screen, and all the system apps I rarely use are in a folder named with the Apple logo (you can do that in iTunes).

Here's the wallpaper, if you want it. I think I found it on reddit a while back, but I don't know the original source.

I'll post again from my iPad tonight when I'm using it.

Last edited by Wyatt : 2011-10-21 at 07:39.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-10-21, 08:59

For whoever cares, my folder/grouping/page methodology in my screenshot above: the first page has everything I use on a regular basis except games. All the games are on the second page and all the novelty apps or gag apps or rarely used apps are all on the third page.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-21, 09:03

Here's my lock screen:

My main page is pretty stock:

My second page is where I keep most of my apps that I use:

Last page is where I keep a bunch of random shit in folders:

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2011-10-21 at 09:59.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-21, 09:49

Yontsey your links don't work. If you want to use dropbox, just put them in your public folder and use the proper forum image tag... That's what I do

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-21, 09:56

Ah, ok. I had them in just the photos folder. Lemme change that real quick.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-21, 09:58

Here's mines. I keep everything on 2 screens... thanks to EnhancedFolders. MP isn't my carrier but the wifi i'm connected to.

And if you're wondering what folders in folders look like. Note also that there's pages in folder :

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-21, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Ah, ok. I had them in just the photos folder. Lemme change that real quick.
And use the "Copy public link" options. You can't use dl-web.dropbox.com/get/public/file.extension. It should be more like dl.dropbox.com/u/74725/file.extension.

Note that the 74725 part is unique to your account and won't change. If you can remember it, you can easily link things without the need to use the "Copy public link" option.

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-21, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Push both buttons simultaneously, then quickly let go (if you hold them, the device will eventually restart). You should see the screen flash white if it works.
Thanks, SpecMode, for providing extra detail on Brad's hint! It works as it's supposed to. Now I just have to find a new host, since I've already migrated from MobileMe to iCloud. (Actually, I think MobileMe should still work. So never mind.)

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-21, 21:41

Good thread. I had to do some reworking with iOS 5 because I've got a think about keeping my homegrown, mandatory Apple stuff on the home page, clustered logically. I had things a certain way for well over two years, but I think I hit upon a good layout with the added iOS 5 stuff, so I'm happy again.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-10-21 at 21:52.
GOLDFRAPP

2011-10-21, 21:56

Home Screen organization is my biggest iPhone headache as I have a severe form of OCD. Every icon position has to make sense, have a logical explanation and try to be in as "alphabetical" an order as possible. I know I'm a nutter

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-21, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFRAPP View Post
Home Screen organization is my biggest iPhone headache as I have a severe form of OCD. Every icon position has to make sense, have a logical explanation and try to be in as "alphabetical" an order as possible. I know I'm a nutter
No, no...that's exactly how I am. I agonized over mine for a full day or so. I wasn't happy with my first 2-3 layouts. As much as I hated to, I know I had to introduce a folder on the home screen.

No, I get crazy about that very thing too. I need it just so. I want some nice, logical grouping and then, if/when possible (or makes sense), some alphabetical placement.

I've always had my camera and photos in upper left, Settings in lower right and main communication/reach out to the world apps in the lower dock, available from every screen. Now I've got the Compass and Google Maps paired, the leisure time Game Center and Newstand, my Stock and Weather widgets, all my music/video/media apps on a row, my PDA/personal organizer type stuff in a folder, etc. I left the new Reminders out on its own because a) it's new and b) I figured I would use it more (and I have) if it's out there, easy to see.

I like to have all my Apple mandatory (can't be deleted) apps on the homepage, together. My second iPhone screen is mostly folders:

I recently went through and did some major house-cleaning. I had a ton of apps in Food & Drink, Photography, Music, etc. that I never used, so I whittled things down to a tight set of stuff I will/do use on a somewhat regular basis.

And I still do my little lockscreen info thingie:

I'm convinced this gives me a halfway fighting chance to recover my phone if I lose it and it's found by an honest, helpful person. And the passcode keeps any snooping eyes out. I've made one of these for others with iPhones...my sister, stepmom, friends, etc. with their alternate phone, email and emergency contact. Every few months I'll change up the background for something seasonal or just a change of pace (keep a layered Photoshop file with the text on the top and a boatload of nice backgrounds below to choose from/save out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-10-21 at 22:48.
GOLDFRAPP

2011-10-21, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
No, no...that's exactly how I am. I agonized over mine for a full day or so. I wasn't happy with my first 2-3 layouts. As much as I hated to, I know I had to introduce a folder on the home screen.

No, I get crazy about that very thing too. I need it just so. I want some nice, logical grouping and then, if/when possible (or makes sense), some alphabetical placement.
But listen, mine gets even crazier and more obsessive:
- guess why Byline (news reader) is all the way down there next to Settings. Settings, really? Because it's got a grey icon and goes well with Settings.
- guess why I ditched a more reliable Beejive (instant messenger) and replaced it with Verbs. Because Verbs' icon is very similar to the native Messages app. Plus, if I had gone with Beejive instead, it would've had to be placed in front of the Messages app because, well, 'M' follows 'B', which would violate my "app order" rule, which states third-party apps always have to follow the native ones.

I usually go through 5-7 different layouts before I settle down with one that lasts for several weeks. Then I find some awesome app that needs downloading. Since my OCD doesn't allow me to have more than 2 pages (Home + 1 extra) thus making the space kinda tight, I end up deleting the least used app and replacing it with the new one. This usually breaks one of my app order rules, and I have to go through the whole Home Screen organization hassle all over again.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-22, 08:03

You guys are crazy

I do place them in certain order. I let the Apple apps on the first page. I place alternative next to them so Cydia is right next to the App store, instagram close to the camera, vimeo close to youtube...

On my second page things get group by categories. The first apps are about communication, then videos, news, sports. In folders it gets more random, grouped in subfolder if possible to make a little bit of sense.
Bonn89

2011-10-22, 10:44

Paul, would you mind sharing that orange wallpaper? It's beautiful, so vivid (and seasonal!).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-22, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Paul, would you mind sharing that orange wallpaper? It's beautiful, so vivid (and seasonal!).
Check your PMs. I can't take credit for the creation. I found it online as a regular desktop/wallpaper (which I also use on my iMac from time to time), and I rotated it and sized it down to iPhone 4/4s-friendly resolution.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-22, 20:30

Can I jump on the orange wallpaper bandwagon too?

It would go great with the orange bumper.