User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Advanced Copy Paste

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advanced Copy Paste
EmC

2020-09-04, 15:07

Thank you in advance for any advice or help. I am a teacher. I am teaching virtually this semester. All of the assignments and grading are done in one platform and the grades for each assignment have to be entered into another platform. I can export the grades for each assignment into excel, but need help automating the pasting. I am looking for a little script or utility or something that will let me copy the grades from a spreadsheet, put my cursor in the first box of my grade book and press go and have it put in the first grade from the list "press enter" then put the next grade in and so on until the end of the list.

I have no idea where to start. HELP!

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-09-06, 17:46

Is your grade book a dedicated app (desktop? mobile?) or just some kind of online app in a web browser? I presume there's no import feature anywhere, is there? If you could find any way to import grades, it might be better to find a way to transform the shape of the other exported spreadsheet into some other format the grade book will import.

Unfortunately, all of my other ideas would require a fair bit of technical programming skill, and they would both assume your grade book tool is in a web app.

For automating web stuff, Selenium WebDriver is a popular tool for programmers and SDET/QA engineers. You write code that teaches it what to look for in a web page and how to interact with it (click, type, etc). At the lower level, most languages like Python have libraries for communicating directly over HTTP, parsing web pages, and posting form contents; requests and Beautiful Soup come to mind. If you're not already a web developer, though, both of these answers are probably way out of scope for you.

Outside of web apps, the tooling for automating clicks and types gets real shaky. With macOS, technically it's possible to use AppleScript to automate UI interactions, but it's a real nightmare finding the appropriate objects and the APIs are super obtuse and nigh-impossible to find good documentation. I know this because I have written two AppleScripts that change a bunch of system settings at night and in the morning, and it was agonizing getting them to work as I wanted.

I've also seen/touched a program that did UI automation for Windows apps many years ago, so I know that's possible too, but I can't remember the name and wouldn't be able to give any good recommendations.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-09-07, 02:37

It sounds like it would be easier to write the developer of the grade submission application to incorporate an excel import function. It's a handful of lines of code on their side...
EmC

2020-09-10, 21:02

My grade book is web based and the grades would be coming from a column in excel that is the exact number of rows as my grade book. I am just looking to do a row at a time, not a full grade book import.

I took some c+ courses 20 years ago in undergrad, but have not used it since. I did find what I was looking for that runs on Windows. I suppose I will just do my grade importing at my windows computer at work.
Grade Paster for Windows

I have feature requested this with the company many times. It makes no sense not to enable pasting.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽