Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
BlackBerry Enterprise Server
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-26, 21:13

Have any of you guys heard about this software? or can any of you tell me what it does? My friend stumbled upon a copy from his uncle, and I guess he's not allowed to sell it without the companies permission, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-11-28, 18:35

Instead of Blackberry email going through Blackberry/RIM, the email goes through MS Exchange or Lotus Notes.
What the hell does that all mean?

So, Joe Smith has an "internet" Blackberry and works at ACME. His email is jsmith@acme.com. His Blackberry email is mbb1234@rim.net (or something, no he can't change that; it's assigned, via Cingular using a Blackberry phone it would be his phone number @mobile.mycingular.com, can't change that either).

He wants his email centralized.

There are Exchange versions of the Blackberry. The desktop software points to his mailbox. Without BES, the desktop software does the forwarding, but his PC would need to stay on running the software. No software running, no worky.
So his sysadmin installs BES and points it to his Exchange (or Lotus) mailbox. Now, when the Blackberry is out of its cradle all email to jsmith@acme.com is forwarded to his device without his PC having to be on. This is a copy; when he gets back to his PC, all his mail is there in Outlook (important since he may get an attachment).

Can you tell I've been through this whole... evolution?

Screed
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-28, 22:06

Hehe, yeah you must have had to live through all this. Thanks for your answer tho, it was helpful.