User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2020
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-04-24, 10:17

I think it's time to start this discussion.

My prediction:

The big news will be Mac OS Ax. If ARM Macs are coming anywhere between now and the first half of 2021, then Mac OS has to support ARM beginning in June so developers can be ready.

iOS 14 will show off features that will tie it in very tightly with Mac OS Ax.

New 14" MacBook Pro's will be announced (either at WWDC or immediately before).

Apple will talk extensively about its roadmap for Mac Ax.

Ken will salivate!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Stand for something, or fall for anything!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-04-24, 13:42

...further to this. If they do announce Arm MacOS, there will be a concerted effort by the nerds of the world to install and run it on an iPad.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-04-24, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
...further to this. If they do announce Arm MacOS, there will be a concerted effort by the nerds of the world to install and run it on an iPad.
I'm guessing it will run on iPad Pro right out of the gates. That's your early-release development machine right there!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-24, 17:57

Unless of course there are hardware requirements for the Mac version, like the number of CPU/GPU cores, T2 chip, RAM etc, that the iPad Pro doesn't have.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-04-24, 18:13

Yeah, that might be the case, but I suspect that Apple will free those restrictions in the early releases. I hope, anyway.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-24, 18:50

I don't see any reason why they would, the Mac version has no need to run on an iPad or the other way around for that matter. I think Apple would be better off doing a major revision and calling something else, like Apple OS, for making the OS and Apple work seamlessly across the Mac/Pad/Phone. I could actually see them doing it, one more step to kill of the "i" nonsense, and it's about time to move on from "OSX" anyway, even if it is only in a name, but it would be better if it was something bigger than that.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-04-24, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
and it's about time to move on from "OSX" anyway, even if it is only in a name, but it would be better if it was something bigger than that.
Well, it is called macOS, now. Apple's references to OS X are pretty much gone. Also, my reference to Mac Ax running on iPad is just for early developer previews, not permanent development.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-05-14, 18:12

Honestly, I don't have a clue what's coming. However, a tiny little shipping birdie* chirped on my shoulder today and said that a certain shipping company had been told to hold up the movement of certain Mac Mini-sized boxes.

What does it mean?

Nothing!

Or perhaps there are new Mac Minis set to be announced next week? And they were on their way to the local Best Buy/Apple Store/… but are being held until an announcement???

I don't know. It's likely something else, since we are never on the "news" end of this sort of thing. Just thought it was interesting.

* The birdie is familiar with the size of these boxes and what they normally contain.

¡Damned!

2020-05-14, 18:42

That would be very strange since they were just updated. Mac Mini Pro?

Maybe a new, bigger Apple TV w/ redesigned remote? I honestly can't imagine what it would be...

So it goes.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-05-14, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Maybe a new, bigger Apple TV w/ redesigned remote? I honestly can't imagine what it would be...
Perhaps, but those boxes are a lot smaller.

Like I said, I don't think it's anything other than a temporary holdup of an otherwise normal shipment. But! It could be that Apple has decided to shove the 10th-gen Intel stuf in there and nothing else.

Or it's nothing.

I'm banking on nothing.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-05-14, 20:23

All Mac Mini's shipping with AMD Ryzen 4000 series mobile chips, which would pound dirt on Intel 10th Gen stuff. Would be a dream come true, but I know it won't happen.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-15, 10:03

Given I'm starting to plan for a new Mac mini purchase soon I'm looking forward to seeing a real upgrade to it. Better graphics would be awesome. I just need to move away from Hackintosh for stability sake.

Using my MBP full time with the dock is awesome, accept when it isn't. I regularly consume more than 16GB of RAM and push the CPU so the fans are racing constantly.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-05-15, 14:48

Mac Mini can noise is in the same class as the notebooks, since they used the same fans, so don’t expect much better.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-15, 15:07

I think the noise will be less of an issue because I'm going to screw it to the bottom of the desk. I'm going to add rubber between it and the desk to isolate it a little more too. I'm just hoping for better performance than the MBP and I'll be maxing the RAM in the Mini once I buy it. My Windows VM eats half this MBP from the start.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-05-15, 23:17

It's just the fan design, unless you put it in a sound blimp, under load it sounds just like the notebooks. I should know, I have two Mac Mini (2012&2018).