MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 6 of 21 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-25, 16:29

Server is back from a short outage due to power failure in the neighborhood a short bit ago.

Sadly I have not been able to get Beast back up yet and he's the one that does the maps.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-25, 23:09

Sorry that this is short notice to you guys but I'm going to take the server offline for a few hours midday tomorrow. I've got to do maintenance in the house and restarting Junior is part of it. I'm also moving the web server in my home so maps might be down for a little bit too. I'll try to have everything backup by the time people head home from work, but not sure of exactly when it will be.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-26, 21:20

The game server is back up, sorry it took way longer than I expected it to.

I haven't completed the web server swap yet so maps may go down at any time in the next week. I had way more to move than I thought.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-02, 17:10

I'm going to have to do some updates on the Windows side of Junior. This is likely going to force a reboot of the VM for MC too. You should be able to get back in fairly quickly though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-26, 21:01

I need to update and reboot my router. No one is in the game right now so this shouldn't effect anyone.
¡Damned!

2015-08-26, 15:40

Question: What version of the MC server software are we running? I'm trying to put a Beacon in the Nether but having trouble getting it going.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-27, 21:14

We are currently running 1.8.1 right now. I never did get around to upgrading it to 1.8.8 or whatever is the newest right now.
¡Damned!

2015-08-28, 09:58

Aha! That's it then. Bedrock-blocking got fixed in a later version.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-29, 14:30

Hmm.... I'll see if maybe I can get us at least to the current version of MC for the server then. As of right now, my testing was fine for that upgrade. They have fixed most of the issues that hindered us upgrading to 1.9 from what I can tell.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-30, 13:09

So I'm going to make a run to upgrade to 1.8.8 tonight hopefully. I've run it on my MBP and it worked really well. So I should be able to make it just happen and well all be just fine. I'll let you know when/if it happens.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-30, 16:01

Since no one is on the server right now I'm going to start the process. Game server is going down for a little bit while I to host updates and then verify the update to 1.8.8. I'll post here once it's live with 1.8.8.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-30, 16:16

Testing was again good for going to 1.8.8 so I'm going to make the upgrade for sure. Currently hot updates are running so it is still going to be a little bit before the server is back live again.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-30, 16:44

Ok, game server is officially 1.8.8 now. I'm going to play with setting up an MC server of our world running 1.9 prerelease to play with that now. For the mean time, enjoy the update to 1.8.8 now 709.

¡Damned!

2015-08-31, 09:42

Beaconator working! Thanks T!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-23, 21:13

I mentioned last night in-game that we're long overdue for updating Java on the server. We've been running the game server under Java 6 which has been officially unsupported by Oracle since 2013! Java 8 is the current "latest and greatest" and, although it has nothing ground-breaking for us, should bring some modest performance tweaks.

I'm about to stop the game and restart it using Java 8. I'll post again once the dust settles and I've given it a try!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-23, 21:30

Well, that was easy!

Command reference for T...

Code:
# this installs the jre sudo yum -y install java-1.8.0-openjdk # check the default version java -version # lets you change the default version sudo alternatives --config java
I also modified the init script to point to the location of the new jre.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-24, 01:15

Sweet! Thanks Brad.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-23, 23:38

Brad having to upgrade the AN server made me think about the VM and the Win 7 machine running it....my last updates on that machine was August 30th. Not even sure about where the updates on the MC VM are right now either...guess I should look at that too.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-24, 02:28

Good idea! I just checked, and the game server just had a bunch of package updates to take it from CentOS 6.6 to CentOS 6.7. Easy. Done!

Just look in /var/log/yum.log if you want to see what was changed. It looks like the last major set of updates was at the end of January!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-24, 12:03

Good thing that machine is only running one major program an it's limited by firewall access.
¡Damned!

2016-01-27, 20:45

Hey T – is the machine you have MC hosted on going through a check right now? I'm getting some game-stopping stuttering, and it feels like a host thing. If not I have some problems to fix.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-27, 20:59

I'll look right now. I'm not doing anything specifically with it though...

I'll edit this post after I hop on it.

So far nothing is looking out of sorts right now at all. The load on the host machine is normal and nothing going on with it. Same for the VM. That is for the past hour too since it's been a little bit since you posted this. I checked my network and it's all looking normal.

It is possible there was a large bit of activity thanks to Dropbox, but I've limited the selective sync on the host machine even more to help minimize that. Let me know if you're still having an issue later.

Last edited by turtle : 2016-01-27 at 21:12.
¡Damned!

2016-01-27, 21:18

Huh. Thanks for checking. I appreciate it.

I'll check Little Snitch for weirdness on my end. It really did feel like a server thing, like from the old days, but maybe I just need a restart and some flushing of files.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-02-22, 17:49

So it looks like the power supply in the Junior failed. I can't get it to power up right now so I'm going to have to pull it and bench it. I don't know that I have a new power supply handy either... I'll try to get it back up ASAP though.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-02-22, 17:52

Oh, that's just great!

Fantastic!

Right in the middle of digging and stuff!

Brilliant!

What, you think we don't have better things to do?

Terrible!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-02-22, 19:00

Yeah, it's worse that I don't have a power supply handy. I have one that has the capacity, but not the right output for my CPU. This means I'm going to have to order one. I don't even have a local shop I'm will to pay the charge for. So I might see about running the VM on a different host machine and seeing how that goes. If that happens I'll let you know.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-02-22, 19:10

If you wind up needing $$ help, let us know!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-02-22, 20:05

This one connector is making this such a pain to find the right PSU. I don't need much power. A 350W PSU is more than enough for this system but I can't find anything that will work for it because my CPU wants two +12V feeds.

I'm trying to be cheap because Junior is really only a host for the MC server. I don't do a thing with it even though it's connected to the TV for Media Center functions.

*sigh*

For those curious, Junior is an i7 860 on an Intel motherboard with 12GB DDR3 RAM, ATI 5450, one SSD and one 7200RPM 3.5" HDD. There are also two optical drives, one BR and one DVD. All I need is one 24 (20+4 is fine) MB connector, two 4pin +12V for my CPU and 4 SATA power connectors.

As for if I need money, I have to say that I'm on a very tight budget at the moment and wouldn't mind the help if it's being offered to bring Junior back to life.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-02-22, 20:46

So far this Antec VP-450 (450W) PSU seems to be the best deal with the EPS 4+4 +12V connectors. It's bigger than the EA-430D that was in there but not by far.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-02-23, 00:20

So I looked at running the VM on other machines (Beast really) but that's not going to happen. My versions of VMware are to old to run on the modern OS on it. So we are going to have to wait until I can get a new PSU for Junior. Sorry guys.