User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Why does Google~News hate Apple ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why does Google~News hate Apple ?
Yoda

2005-10-12, 21:29

What is it with Google...? or is it just me ?

I visit google news every monring and tab in "Apple". Almost without fail, the page of "news sources" comes up as bagging Apple in one way or another. Today at least half of the threads concerned Apple's stocks being down. But it the titles that really get stuck in my throat.

Now as a little experiment, I tabbed in Microsoft and virtually every report was glowing; or if it concerned MS share prices, referred to it as 'slight adjustments' etc.

I know Google and Microsoft are kinda pals, but it really gets annoying to see the bagging Googles News compilers seem to dish out to Apple.

If it was only occasionally, I'd accept it, but after having looked at it for so long now, I am really beginning to suspect a conspiracy that circles around finding whatever angle/spin can be put on a story, so that the boot can be sunk into Apple.

It Seriously sucks...........big time..

Yoda

Trust your bottom...It's the place where all things rest ...or exit..
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-10-12, 21:30

Umm.. Google News only links to articles by online news sources. Maybe it's the online news sources that hate Apple and love Microsoft?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-12, 21:34

Bingo.

If the news sites are generally reporting the negative direction of Apple's stocks (and they have been), that's exactly what you should expect in Google.
Yoda

2005-10-12, 21:34

Yes, but they ( Google ) also prioritise headlines, as well, ( I suspect ) put in "headers"

Yoda
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-12, 21:36

Also, where on earth did you get the idea that Google and Microsoft are kinda pals? If anything, they are competitors.
rasmits
rams it

2005-10-12, 21:39

Are you serious? I type Apple into Google news about once a week or so, and every time I do it's practically filled with good reviews and press releases.
Yoda

2005-10-12, 21:41

Thats true..but today the bagging on shares came to the fore.

By comparison it seems when MS's shares aren't doing well ( in the past ) the press take something of a more 'softly softly' approach...

But that could be my myopia...

Yoda...

Trust your bottom...It's the place where all things rest ...or exit..
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-10-12, 22:14

Just to show how much the media absolutely loves Apple, here's the Mac Observer Apple Death Knell Counter.
Legodude522

Send a message via ICQ to Legodude522 Send a message via AIM to Legodude522 Send a message via MSN to Legodude522 Send a message via Yahoo to Legodude522 Send a message via Skype™ to Legodude522 
2005-10-12, 23:06

Isn't Google News created by bots?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-10-12, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legodude522
Isn't Google News created by bots?
Yes. Google News results, along with most of the rest of Google's services, are computer-generated. This means that, as I understand Google, the results in Google News will reflect the most popular opinions on the internet.

Now, if you want to delve into conspiracy theory territory, fine, but Google News is dynamically generated by a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google News
Google News is a highly unusual news service in that our results are compiled solely by computer algorithms, without human intervention. As a result, news sources are selected without regard to political viewpoint or ideology, enabling you to see how different news organizations are reporting the same story. This variety of perspectives and approaches is unique among online news sites, and we consider it essential in helping you stay informed about the issues that matter most to you.
http://news.google.com/intl/en_us/ab...ogle_news.html
Yoda

2005-10-13, 03:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Just to show how much the media absolutely loves Apple, here's the Mac Observer Apple Death Knell Counter.
Thankyou for that link Mr BlueRabbit...
autodata
hustlin

2005-10-13, 10:34

I guess the past week of front page fawing over the possibility of a video ipod in every major news source was just my imagination. Where can I learn the victim act so I can join in with you guys?
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
I know Google and Microsoft are kinda pals,
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-10-14, 09:17

Well, this guy seems to see way too much fawning over all things iPod in the press actually: Slate article: The Apple Polishers

It amounts to something of an iPod-bashing article, at least the video one, which is fine if the author didn't have these old hang-ups circa 1998 that just run all over the place. Very unfocused article actually, which is unfortunate because there are some legit points buried in between potshots about the G4 Cube, the old evangelist program and how Apple didn't design the iPod from scratch all by themselves. The author, however ends the article by turning around and saying that Apple will likely work out the problems with the video iPod and get the details right in a future revision.