User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

disc burner "buzzing"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
disc burner "buzzing"
almost2mac

2006-07-26, 15:53

Just bought a 17" core duo imac with the superdrive. The first time I burned a CD during the bootcamp process the disk made a surprisingly loud noise that isn't present when just reading from a disk.

I've read that some people have laptops that "moo". Is that what this is, or should I have it checked out? Other than the sound, the disc when burned worked just fine.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-26, 16:43

If it works, it is probably normal operating noises.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-26, 17:04

Yeah, some drives are just noisy when they spin at full-speed.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-07-27, 02:53

fwiw, my iMac G5's SuperDrive sometimes makes a loud buzzing noise (vibration of some sort I presume) but is usually "whisper" quiet. I have tried to discern if it is a specific task or type of disc that causes the buzzing, but it seems pretty arbitrary.

It works fine even when buzzing, so I let it be.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-27, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost2mac
Just bought a 17" core duo imac with the superdrive. The first time I burned a CD during the bootcamp process the disk made a surprisingly loud noise that isn't present when just reading from a disk.

I've read that some people have laptops that "moo". Is that what this is, or should I have it checked out? Other than the sound, the disc when burned worked just fine.
Disk burning makes a different noise than when reading, at least on my iBooks superdrive it does.
CrackerJack

Send a message via MSN to CrackerJack Send a message via Yahoo to CrackerJack  
2006-07-27, 08:13

The MBP demo unit at the local Apple dealer is usually quiet when spinning discs (burning/reading). But when I inserted a questionable quality disc into it, that odd noise is there. It's definitely louder when I tried to burn AAC's from the demo unit.

I did that because I want to prove to my pals that the noise is not due to a defective drive. Anyway, I haven't been able to replicate that noise with quality blank discs.

I didn't do this test on my own Mac cause I don't want anything happening to it.