AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Tall Town

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Tall Town
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-12, 00:36

Attention builders:

Tall Town awaits you. We are looking for the few, the proud, the brave! Come one, come all and reach for the sky!

Two finished (but unclaimed) 42x42 lots await your development skills—and many future lots are planned. The rules are simple:

1) All structures must be at least 100 blocks tall (that's 164 from bedrock)
2) All structures must be designed to mimic either real or imagined office-type skyscrapers. It's not tall for the sake of tall, but for beauty in architectural design
3) All structures must be sound from an engineering standpoint—there must be a physical reality to the tower, i.e. no unsuspended or unsupported blocks or unrealistic structure
4) No torches are permitted. Glowstone, Prismarine Lanterns, End Rods (1.9) or other mechanical light sources are the only lighting sources permitted
5) Please limit exterior lighting to decorative, not structural or primary
6) Light the interior so the windows glow at night
7) Ground level should be half-slabs to reduce mob spawns without the need for lights
8) Interiors do NOT have to be "finished" and can be completely hollow. Tall Town is an exterior design intended to give the scale of height
9) All structures need to be capable of containing a 15x15x15 internal structure at +10 and +100 above ground level (for a future project Tall Town is intended for)
10) Pick any lot you wish. If one does not exist, teraform one. Please remember the street and existing lot dimensions, landscaping and street lighting
11) The only street-level lighting permitted are street lights. I want this thing to be dark during the night, where the light sources come from street lamps and the building interiors
12) Be creative. Think like an architect/engineer. If it looks implausible in real life, it is implausible!

I think that's all the rules. I'm looking for realism in this build. I was going to do it alone, but several players have voiced interest, so I am making it a public build. Make as many as you want. I only want it to have the feel of walking around in a high-rise, inner-city area (think New York, Chicago, Dubai, Hong Kong, Taipai (*winks at Brad*), etc. Think outside the box, but inside the realism of physics and engineering possibilities.

I hope to ignite some serious construction in that corner of the map.

Also, a note to Grey: If you want to plot out a portal (overworld and Nether) please do so. You are the master of such things!

Oh, yeah. The lots to the East somehow wound up being 42x45. No idea what happened. They will get fixed.

Oh, and name your tower. I haven't put up signs for my designs, yet, but I know what they are: Monument Tower, Four Water Place, an unnamed project, and Diamond Plaza (thanks to Grey's "Creative" spirit, this one is possible )

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-12, 00:50

Drop some coords on us? Because I don't know where it is!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-12, 12:55

From spawn portal in the Nether, take the south passage, take the first left, go to the 'T' intersection and turn right. Take the first portal on the right (Castle Whammerstein). Find the stairs up and go out into the village. Turn right and go to the horse corral. Follow the edge of the lake due South. You can't miss it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-12, 16:23

::thumbs up icon::

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-12, 16:24

Tall Town might deserve a portal of its own...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-12, 18:37

It'll get one.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-12, 19:19

I think I'll join in the fun this time, Thinking about what options I'll entertain for my tower. I'll pick a lot and mark it though.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-13, 00:38

I just ran out there to take a look. Very cool! I don't have time right now to contribute, but I'm enjoying what you've done so far!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2015-12-13, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Grey: If you want to plot out a portal (overworld and Nether) please do so.
Will do. There's really only 2 logical spots, but one depends on how expansive you think TT will get.

I'll put my claim next to the one you're currently working on, and build something phallic, which is tradition.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-13, 17:35

Mot sure how big it will get, but I have laid the road to the West quite a ways. My guess is there will be something like 18 buildings when it's done sometime in 2075.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-13, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I just ran out there to take a look. Very cool! I don't have time right now to contribute, but I'm enjoying what you've done so far!

FWIW, I'd offer to fill chests if anyone wants to build but doesn't have the hundreds upon hundreds of required blocks for their idea. If anyone wants to stake a claim and describe their requirements, I'd be happy to assist!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-14, 01:27

Grey and I have been discussing the leveling of 9 more lots. Considering the incredible amount of teraforming required for this, we're gonna ask for your help with the Super Powers™ in this endeavor.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-14, 01:43

Nine lots! Have you decided where they'll be?

Since there are still two untouched lots, one barely started building, and one obvious spot for a ninth lot, I think we should hold off on the terraforming until it actually becomes necessary.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-14, 11:09

Okeedokee, artichokee!

I'm gonna finish Diamond Plaza, then skooch over to random, unnamed, unfinished thing and finish it. Grey is building next to me, which leaves quantity one (1) lot remaining.

Is there a brave sole who wishes to play the high-wire act and claim that lot?

Any takers?

Jess will be on break beginning this Saturday, and she's been whining to play (too busy with that whole college thing), so she might be in for one. If so, we will be out of lots by the weekend.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-14, 15:04

I may go in on Phase II.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-14, 22:17

I'll take a lot. My kid wants me to build the main tower that is near my house. It's not "great" but still has some character.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-15, 11:11

I'm going to polish off that SE corner. There's some digging involved, but it will add a ninth lot to the existing development.

Of course, If Turtle wants that corner, he can just use his mad skills and do it himself.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-15, 12:33

I can do that one if you want. I don't mind at all. Feel free to put a sign on it for me if you want so I don't grab the wrong one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-21, 00:34

I've completed my tower as of now. Feel free to check it out...just watch out for the moat.