AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

A Modest Minecraft Proposal: Adventure/Challenge Maps

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A Modest Minecraft Proposal: Adventure/Challenge Maps
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-12-29, 16:48

Hey guys,

While there's a bit of a revival going on in MC right now in the new non-magic village, Technopolis, I wanted to pitch something to you for the "next" new thing.

My friend Wes Wilson is one of the hosts of a popular Minecraft show called "The Shaft".

In addition to their regular online podcast/videocast they produce "adventure films" on YouTube.

These "adventures" are worlds made by people, designed to be explored by the guys from The Shaft.

I've watched several of their adventures and been entertained thoroughly by their banter and by the interesting worlds people have built for them to explore.

I was wondering if we could assemble the amazing talent of our MC players and build an adventure for them to explore.

Having watched many of these things I surmise that we have an ENORMOUS advantage over some of the other builders and could produce an incredible adventure.

Wes has already said that they're up to doing it if we want to build this... and by "we" I mostly mean "you".

Take a look at this adventure, and search for their others too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_em...7PMqvA&index=9

I just think that it would be something you could really pull off in style.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-12-29, 16:55

Note: traditionally there's no crafting allowed, they can only follow your instructions that lead them through the game.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-12-29, 17:04

The first episode on that one is a bit slow, here's a different adventure....

Shipwrecked!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-07, 10:44

COMMUNITY PROJECTS
I'll mention it here again, and halfway expect it to be ignored by all my MC pals, but a friend of mine has a VERY POPULAR Minecraft Podcast/Videocast called "The Shaft" and they occasionally do VERY cool video productions of solving adventures that people have built in Minecraft.

They produce them VERY well and it's a lot of fun to watch due to their banter.

Wes says that the funniest one is called "Mayan Madness".

Here's a link to Episode One of Mayan Madness.

Episode 6 is funnier, when one of the guys dies they do a retrospective of him mid-game, then he's back.

Couldn't you guys make something AMAZING in addition to building your next house and your next tree farm and your next "whatever"?

It would be like we were producing a "movie" of sorts!

Anyway, so I've pitched the idea....

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-02-07, 12:52

My guess is that whoever built the map did so in creative mode (maybe... can you add baddies in creative mode?) with unlimited blocks. I can't imaging they mined all that was needed to build that map in survival mode.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-02-07, 13:15

Look at it this way: instead of merely exhorting us to design and build some adventure map, get the ball rolling... you're creative... design us up some crazy pirate themed idea...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-07, 21:50

IF we DID build an adventure could we set aside some portion of the world for building the adventure? Somewhere well away from spawn?

Creative Mode - yes, it's obvious that you need to build in that mode. I wouldn't see that as a problem because the folks who care could still have low-tech/no-tech rules for regular stuff. The adventure area could be a side project.

Build Quality
I'm impressed with some of the traps in that Mayan adventure video that I linked to (dispensers shooting arrows is very Indiana Jones-ish), but in some of the adventures that OTHER people have made the engineering was shabby, or the set-up for the puzzle was badly described - felt as if impatient teens had designed/built them.

Theme of Adventure
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that they may have actually HAD a pirate theme or sub-plot, or at least a pirate ship, or part of some sort of ship, or SOMETHING vaguely piratey in a previous adventure, so I wouldn't want to do a full pirate thing.

Still, it would be fun to do something that has some real cultural connections... like the Star Wars adventures, or a very effed up version of the Magic Kingdom, or a Harry Potter adventure, or an adventure at Comic Con or Dragon*Con, or a Star Trek adventure, or Tron 3, or a trip through a real-life demented arcade, or a mashup of pop-culture stuff... I don't know.

Expertise
I'm not good at much of anything, not like you guys.

A lot of you are great engineers - some are actually EEs (like Dellphi) and others know all the arcane shit that you can do in Minecraft. Some are great at massive projects (Grey and Bruce). Some are good at details (like the T family). Some are great at building 3D models of real-world stuff (looks at Brad).

Brad and Robo are the first 2 people I think of when it comes to video games. Jack is a walking encyclopedia of video games, and Brad was building a Mario style island back a few worlds back... that's what made me think of this in the first place.

Anyway, that's what I've got.
I'm a big picture kind of guy

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-02-07, 21:59

If you use FCPX instead of Vegas Pro I may be in. Who uses VP anymore? Fuck.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-07, 22:45

No worries about the editing, they do that themselves.

We build it, invite them to play, and they do all the shooting, editing, foley, etc.

Oh... you mean there's something in their video that says Vegas??

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-02-07, 23:14

I was joking, but yeah. They mentioned VP in comments of the first video.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-02-07, 23:45

Would it not make more sense to do such a project in MCEdit, sharing our respective progress? Is this supposed to be something like what Vechs does with his Super Hostile series?

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-08, 00:39

Maybe? What's MCEdit and how do you join up all the bits and pieces later, and then how do you invite the 3 show hosts onto the server to go adventuring?

/not_very_good_at_minecraft_actually

Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-08, 01:19

Okay, I'm watching this now:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...w-open-source/

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-08, 01:54

Let's just say the people that make giant challenge maps and whatnot use MCEdit.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-08, 19:55

RowdyScot is right. Many of those adventure maps aren't actually made in-game but instead using external 3D map editors like MCEdit. Think of these tools like Photoshop for MC chunks.

Besides the creative tools, any adventure map immediately faces the problem of needing a script, a cohesive thematic design, creative crafting talent, a good base map that matches the theme and story design (or a custom terrain map designed with external tools), and lots and lots and lots of time. If multiple people are working on it, they would have to follow a predefined plan, which means front-loading a lot of design work before getting started, or they'd have to communicate constantly.

I don't dislike the idea of building a adventure map; I just think we don't have the resources to do it. "Kids" can do this because they have gobs of time to burn. Most of us, on the other hand, have jobs and/or families limiting us to just a few hours gaming a week. I know that I have largely been absent lately because work has been worse, though that does come and go.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-08, 21:52

I guess I thought a lot of the stuff I saw in the videos looked handmade. Mostly buildings and adapted existing terrain, but I can see that I may have just been ignorant about things. It just seems that we DO have the talent and more than a few folks with the ability and tendency to plow a lot of time (and talent) into building elaborately massive structures and systems... looks at Grey and Dellphi and Bruce.

I might be more involved if there was more of a mission, and less of "playing house".

And I've sent a few private projects your way this last month, so I'm contributing indirectly to your workload

Yes, I said "playing house".

Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-09, 01:19

I'll post a link to the most prolific mapmaker on YT. He does developer commentary on his maps every once in awhile, and even shows how he makes what he does. His developer commentary on a map prior to this one actually has him going into MCEdit to show how he does things at times, but in this one, he shows sections of his new map currently in beta testing during its construction.

We easily have the talent amongst us to do these types of things. We do not have the time to do this type of project, however. At least on this sort of scale.

This man wants to make more ways to die in Minecraft.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-09, 02:06

I watched 8 minutes of mostly talking... is that the video you meant to post? I wasn't impressed with him wandering around in a big pit, but it's late and I'm trying to watch 30 Rock, so I may have missed some impressive tactical planning.

Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-09, 11:03

Keep watching the series. Vechs rambles a lot, but the things he designed in that world are downright impressive, especially areas like the Helix Caverns and The Nest.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-09, 19:43

Copy that. I will totally watch it soon. There's SO MUCH online about this stuff it blows my mind.... my ADD mind

Thanks Rowdy

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-02-09, 22:48

Don't be afraid to skip around in his videos a bit. He takes a bit to get going in that series due to awful luck off the bat.