User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Are there any key commands for the dock?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Are there any key commands for the dock?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-10, 01:47

Like, can I hit CMD+modifier to "click" on an item in the dock?

if this isn't built in, are there any haxies or work arounds that enable you to do this.

sort of like how in safari you can hit CMD+1-9 to get to your bookmark bar items.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-10, 02:01

well theirs cmd tab but i dont think that really countd because it isn part of the dock
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-10, 02:03

This should do pretty close to what you want:

System Preferences: Keyboard & Mouse: Keyboard Shortcuts
Refer to the shortcut for "Keyboard Navigation: Focus on Dock"

By default, the shortcut is control-F3. Pressing that selects the last selected icon in the dock. Use the right and left arrows to select the different icons. Press enter to activate the selection, up or down to go through the item's menu, or esc (or cmd-.) to cancel.

Pretty nifty, huh?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-10, 02:05

Oh, and this belongs in the Apple Products forum. Moving now!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-10, 03:18

Thanks brad!

that's mostly what I'm looking for, it'll make do, now, while I was poking around in the keyboard access preferences, I found the Add command for applications.

what exactly does this do? I applied "adium"(yes, you've gotten me to start the switching process again) to opt.+1 but when I hit opt.+1 nothing seems to happen?

If I could make it so opt.+1 (or whatever) would bring adium to the front, that'd be PERFECT.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-10, 03:33

I think you misunderstand how that panel works.

Everything in that list under Application Keyboard Shortcuts refers to, well, keyboard shortcuts for menu items in specific applications. When you add something to the list, you are modifying the menu shortcut for a specific application. For example, if I decide I want Reload Page in Safari to be control-shift-1 instead of apple-r, I could add such an entry to the list.

The list is not for activating other applications as you are trying to do. Sorry...

What *can* be done, though, as I mentioned above is that you can activate the Dock (control-F3) and then navigate your apps from there. It's not as quick as a single keystroke, but it is a keyboard-only solution for when you don't want to touch the mouse.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-10, 03:40

ah, oh well, the other method works pretty good since it goes to the last used dock icon, since I only intend to use this for adium, it's pretty good.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-08-10, 10:21

Key-mouse commands include cmd-click to show the app in the Finder, ctrl-click for a Dock menu, and option-click to hide other applications (but if you do that repeatedly, it's kinda funky; I haven't figured out the pattern). Also, ctrl-click to bring up a Dock menu for an app, then press Option and watch the menu items change.

Anyway... back to keyboard commands...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-10, 10:25

I know the most important one doesn't exist. Command-Q.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-08-10, 12:05

Well, Command-Q does exist, both in the switcher in 10.3 and back in the Dock in 10.2 (I never owned anything earlier). I found that if I cmd-tab'ed through applications in 10.2, held down the command key, and pressed cmd-Q, it would quit an app even if it was in the background.
stoo

2004-08-10, 12:08

Moogs: not quite as good as a proper quit, cmd+option+d hides it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-10, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Well, Command-Q does exist, both in the switcher in 10.3 and back in the Dock in 10.2 (I never owned anything earlier). I found that if I cmd-tab'ed through applications in 10.2, held down the command key, and pressed cmd-Q, it would quit an app even if it was in the background.
I think he means quitting the dock itself. Some people don't like it.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-10, 15:06

So now I'm trying out proteus, and it has, built-in, exactly what I'm talking about. Customizable hot key to "bring proteus to the front" and it's smart, so it only brings the last chat window(which is all I want it for)

Proteus also looks a lot more like iChat, it has available messages, icons and tabbed chatting.

I like it more than adium so far, but, seeing those screens from the next adium, I think it's going to be the best yet.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-10, 15:30

But you have to pay for Proteus . I dunno, maybe it's enough of an improvement over Adium to be worth paying for. But personally I think Adium works out fine.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-10, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
But you have to pay for Proteus . I dunno, maybe it's enough of an improvement over Adium to be worth paying for. But personally I think Adium works out fine.
exactly! that's a stinger! I really hope the next adium incorporates a lot of these nifty proteus features(I already saw some screens brad posted, that pointed to that being the case)
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-08-10, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I think he means quitting the dock itself. Some people don't like it.
Ohhh, ok, gotcha. Guess I like the Dock enough that I don't think of quitting it.