User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPod - White screen of death?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod - White screen of death?
kungfuelmosan

2006-07-16, 04:11

I put some songs and pod casts on my iPod the other day and then put it back in a padded pocket of my bag and went to my next class, when i got it out of my bag during that class and hit play to turn it on the screen wasn’t showing any signs of life although I could hear the hard drive spinning and the default clicking was on when i scrolled the clickwheel which led me to believe the screen had died - I then Menu+Middle restarted it and again the screen did nothing. I thought maybe it was a power issue so i plugged it into the back of one of the school PC's (plugging it into a Mac usually works) and the screen flashed on with the do not disconnect sign etc and immediately went blank again. The found new hardware signs come up on the PC as well. Then when nothing else happened I figured I’d just take it back to the shop and get a new one if I couldn’t get it to work on my Mac - when I took it out later and plugged it into one of the Macs at school there was no response - no hard drive spinning or clicking or anything. After leaving it in for a while and browsing through the iPod updater and DiskUtility for signs of connectivity the screen turned white but there was still no hard drive spinning that i could hear and no application was picking it up.

When I got home I plugged it into my PowerMac (the white screen was still on and couldn’t be turned off) and opened up iPod updater it picked up there was an iPod attached but it just read waiting for iPod to become ready for a few hours. It is till doing this?

Please save me the agonizing many month waiting period of sending it off to be fixed - that and I really need the files on there for a job I am doing or a client!

dad if it werent for you id have come from a test tube and be living with two women!!!