AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 7 of 49 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-23, 13:14

I am thinking about making an automated subway system... i will need to make a little scratch pad at a test site, but I have figured that i will need tons of red stone/iron ore.... Let the games begin.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-23, 13:15

I have a terrible feeling that I mined some stuff from Kraetos's mine yesterday - I think I broke through into it from my mine and thought I had just come round in a circle...

Mind you, that'll teach him for building a tower taller than CB.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-23, 13:16

You guys are awesome. I *hope* my son goes down for a nap soon so I can play... Fingers crossed!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-23, 13:28

I won't be on until later tonight to hand out the bribe offer, but I will be on later tonight.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-23, 14:30

Here's a problem I discovered with building a treehouse... Mobs spawn in trees. And because you have to wait for the trees to grow, then you can't seed the treetops with torches in advance!

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-23, 16:19

Uh, oh.... I think my controlled burn may have borked my ability to load the game...

not so much...

I am increasingly seeing two chunks missing, though as opposed to just one... is this a server load issue?

Last edited by billybobsky : 2010-12-23 at 16:39.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-23, 16:47

My son loves watching me play the game. Better than having him watch TV.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-23, 16:50

Is there a more efficient way to mine? My pickaxe is kinda slow.

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-23, 17:12

pickaxes (shaped like a t, which are different than axes) are faster in increasing order: wood, stone, iron, diamond. they are also more durable in this order.

When mining, I have found that filling your inventory with the tools you need (leaving a few spaces for minerals (3, say) you are likely to collect is the most efficient. Possibly more efficient is traveling with stack of 64 logs and a work bench. and building tools on the fly as needed. I have done the later until I run out of wood without stopping in to recharge in my main base. In the end you end up tossing tons of dirt and cobblestone.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-23, 17:52

Apologies for those of you with tender ears.

FUCK!!!!!

I made a nice deep mine, found a load of coal and I couldn't get out the way I came. I decided to dig up and hit a cavern loaded with creepers and skeletons. Of course, I lost my coal. And iron. And ladders and wood. And torches. Nearly everything.

Fuck. And I was playing with my son and nephews (one of whom can read) in the room so I couldnt properly express my frustration.

Fuck fuck fuck.

I feel better now.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-23, 17:59

They need a way to play on the iPhone. I am in withdrawal here at my sister in law's house for dinner.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-23, 19:16

Christmas tree capes FTW.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-23, 19:17

You forgot to mention the best part!

Screenshot taken from inside the newly opened Bridgeport Apple Store

iPads on the left, iPhones on the right, and those are MacBooks on the other side.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Bonn89

2010-12-23, 19:20

Just to note, those capes only showed up on Brad's screen (although I could see one on blichte1).

And yes, after a TON of hard work and digging, my Bridgeport Apple Store is finally open. All dug out by hand.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-12-23, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My son loves watching me play the game. Better than having him watch TV.
Are you sure? Sounds like there's less profanity on TV...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-23, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Are you sure? Sounds like there's less profanity on TV...
I was totally biting my tongue during that episode. I was nearly about to explode. I'm still itching to get back on there.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-23, 21:44

I set up a Redstone Circuit gallery in the courtyard behind the pub. There's an AND gate, a NOT gate, and an OR gate.

Just make sure the door is shut when you're done, lest the creepers get in!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-24, 03:51

I had an unfortunate fall down my mining shaft. Lost coal, but not much else. I need to get back. Oh dear...

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-24, 05:22

Haha, I can't wait to go back. I hope no one is pissed off about the random hill I started digging in. If anything I think it's closest to rowdy's projected area of dominance...

User formally known as Sh0eWax

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-24, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Haha, I can't wait to go back. I hope no one is pissed off about the random hill I started digging in. If anything I think it's closest to rowdy's projected area of dominance...
As long as you aren't in the desert, I'm perfectly happy to have another neighbor! I'm currently working on the stairway up to the skyway to connect back to the rest of civilization, then will be starting the massive desert project. I need craptons of coal for torches, though. Or Lightstone.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-24, 16:17

Well, before signing off for the Christmas period, I managed to cut a decent room into the second level of my treehouse, and made the route there a bit easier.

I finally went over to the environmental disaster Mushroom Mountain area. I love the water tower. I put in a little diving board from the Skyway so you can ride the water down.

Brad, can we see an updated map?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-24, 16:49

I found some diamonds and gold! On my way out of my mine, I ran into a creeper, though.

BUT this time, I got smart and had built a chest in a safe place where most of my loot was and I thought quickly enough to wall him in down there. Luckily I didn't blurt out what I thought when I saw the creeper because my son was standing right there.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-24, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Brad, can we see an updated map?
Yep! I've been sitting and waiting for the replanted forest to take root. Once the next wave of trees crops up, I'll share a new map. The progress on 709's flaming mountain, for one, really looks amazing from the birds-eye-view perspective of the map viewer.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-24, 21:05

I think when I get home in a few days, I'll get around to building the ramp down from the Skyway turning point between Mob Hill and Flaming Mountain. It just looks a bit odd there hanging over nothing. (I mean, technically the whole thing kinda defies conventional physics, but at least most of the main junction points have some kind of support from the ground.)

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-24, 21:19

So yes, indeed, Mushroom Mountain mine is developing nicely, and by that i mean nearly half of the mountain is gone and since I am getting near ground level i am walling off to set a barrier to the mobs and define the borders of the mining area. I have stopped collecting cobblestone from the mine since i already have three chests filled with it -- I may or may not make more chests but right now, for time efficiency it is faster for me not to bother. Eventually the area will be an open pit mine with a monster trap surrounding it to protect the miners (me). I like Jak's trap, so I may make a version of that. And at some point, I am going to have to make a shelter instead of using the Mushroom mountain hub as my de facto house...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-24, 21:55

I don't think you can see my house on that map. Hmm. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it. It's mostly underground, but I've got a 3x12 glass roof with torches out front so it should be noticeable.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-24, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I think when I get home in a few days, I'll get around to building the ramp down from the Skyway turning point between Mob Hill and Flaming Mountain. It just looks a bit odd there hanging over nothing. (I mean, technically the whole thing kinda defies conventional physics, but at least most of the main junction points have some kind of support from the ground.)
Yes please! I'm that little lit up blip right by that corner, I've been thinking about how to get to the skywalk but I don't know how to build it...

User formally known as Sh0eWax

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-12-24, 21:59

Someone should make an "AppleNova" sign in the style of the "Hollywood" sign up on a hill somewhere....

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-24, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Yes please! I'm that little lit up blip right by that corner, I've been thinking about how to get to the skywalk but I don't know how to build it...
I think, given the difference in height between that spot and Bridgeport, I'll probably do a more 'spiral'-style staircase there (as opposed to the straight-line stairway I built, then rebuilt, at Bridgeport). Maybe an enclosed tower, like the one at the spawning area?

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-24, 23:58

The watchtower looks sexy. I like all the trees growing at the bottom. I can also see my mob trap from that angle, but barely.

Speaking of the mob trap, I still can't get it right. The trapping is easy, it's the killing part I can't get the trap to do on it's own.

Who's stuff is that all the way at the bottom of this map? Is that Mushroom Mountain? Sadly I've never gone north of mob hill.

Tori, isn't your house relatively near the Apple Store? (For those of you looking for the Apple Store on the map, it's the foggy looking cube thing under the bridge on the left riverbank, near the top of the map.)