AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Former Pantera guitarist, Dimebag Darrell, killed on stage

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Former Pantera guitarist, Dimebag Darrell, killed on stage
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-09, 10:11

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nig...ing/index.html

I'm not a fan, but was totally aware of this guy, his former band, etc. Always saw him in various music and guitar magazines.

How terrible. This kind of crap isn't supposed to happen, guys.

Apparently the shooter got on stage, said something about Pantera's breakup and shot Darrell four times, and began shooting others. Damn, pal...think you might've overreacted just a bit?

Jeez...

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-09, 10:17

Oh man - that is so wrong.

It's sort of like Lennon again ... except this gunman killed three others as well before being killed himself.

What makes people think they have the right to just get up and shoot others? :wtf?:

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-12-09 at 10:54. Reason: typo
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-09, 10:37

They're not wired right, I guess. I've liked plenty of bands in my time, but it's never occurred to me to shoot any of them if they do something that pisses me off, like putting out a bad album, breaking up, getting a new singer, etc.

I just shrug my shoulders and say "oh well...".

The shooter obviously had some problems.

I'm happy that policeman showed up. No telling how many more people might've gotten shot had the shooter been allowed to continue, uninterrupted. It's fashionable among some to ding the police 24/7, but when you really need one...

Metal acts in nightclubs are having a bad run, aren't they? Remember the Great White nightclub fire?

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-09, 10:48

Yeah I do remember that fire (geez - I just googled it to find out the death rate - 100 died ) ... but at least that was not pre-meditated "let's take some people out" shite. That was poor OHS organisation I guess - but, still, a devastating result no less.

twitter
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-12-09, 17:00

Quote:
Witnesses described the gunman as a heavyset man, wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey.
I wonder if this guy heard someone say "Abbott, man!" and point to the stage... but the slow drawl of the stoner mixed in with the loud music made it sound more like "ahh, Bettman" as he pointed.

Dude lost it.

Fucking strike.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-09, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Oh man - that is so wrong.

It's sort of like Lennon again ... except this gunman killed three others as well before being killed himself.

What makes people think they have the right to just get up and shoot others? :wtf?:
this is pretty different than John Lennon being shot.
autodata
hustlin

2004-12-09, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
It's sort of like Lennon again
Like Lennon?
applenut
BANNED

2004-12-09, 17:25

I mean, the lost of a human life. Sure, is horrible and on the same level for the both of them. But, as far as impact on society and people and culture.....to even compare this to Lennon's death is innappropriate
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-12-09, 17:28

It's like Lennon being shot about the same as it's like Kennedy being shot.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-12-09, 17:51

i just read about this on fark. pretty twisted. kind of surprised former pantera members couldn't rustle up some better security, beforehand. c'est la vie, it seems.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-12-09, 17:52

I think Mac+ meant the mentality behind the shooting, not it's impact on society.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-09, 17:56

What SKMDC said. No one is goofy enough to equate Dimebag Darrell to Lennon (at least I don't think so). Just similar in the sense of a nutball fan with a gun and some sort of ax to grind, that's all. In that aspect, they are the same. And totally uncalled for.

I've often thought about Lennon...if he were around these past 24 years, I wonder what all he would've done or been into? And this sounds silly, but I wonder if his being around would've kept McCartney a better, more substantive player/writer/performer?

I get the feeling Paulie probably doesn't feel the need to measure up to anyone...except maybe his old mate.

Had Lennon been around, would there have ever been a "Say Say Say", for instance?

Gotta wonder...some of that crap McCartney churned out in the 80's (and 90's) winds up making much of the crap he put out in the 70's seem like masterpieces by comparison.

applenut
BANNED

2004-12-09, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
What SKMDC said. No one is goofy enough to equate Dimebag Darrell to Lennon (at least I don't think so). Just similar in the sense of a nutball fan with a gun and some sort of ax to grind, that's all. In that aspect, they are the same. And totally uncalled for.
well the dude at AI who posted this news story did just that.

But, Paul...yes, he is in love with himself.

I have often wondered what John would have done in the time he has not been with us as well. Its a shame so many die too young.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-09, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenut
well the dude at AI who posted this news story did just that.

I just read it.

And, I have to admit, Scott's comment made me laugh (torifile isn't gonna like that, but he'll get over it )

Hadn't been to AI in so long...I don't recognize half the names there.

I'm trying to find out if Dimebag's brother - the drummer - was also killed. I'm thinking he might've been, just from a few things I've read, but there's no confirmation yet. Anyone know? They said there's one death that hasn't been identified (not sure why).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-12-09 at 19:27.
SKMDC

2004-12-09, 19:28

scott's comment was racist.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-09, 20:36

Thanks SKMDC and pscates - I went to bed after that post so couldn't reply promptly, but I was *not* equating Dimebag Darrell to Lennon in terms of musical genius or impact upon society and culture or people's lives in general ... I was referring to the fact that some nutter just lost it and decided to take out a musician for no apparent reason.

Boggles the mind.

twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-09, 20:43

I did finally learn that the brother wasn't killed.

And they said the shooter would hang around bars and tattoo parlors, staring at people, and trying to start conversations about music and bands, and generally make himself a pain-in-the-butt to other patrons.

Probably just a sad, lonely guy with a tweaked sense of things and no social skills or outlet. What's scary is that I've encountered folks like that, with just this look in their eye, and you say "hi" to them at a bar, and suddenly they won't leave you alone, and after about 45 minutes you just wish you'd stayed home. But there's part of you that's genuinely uneasy about telling them you want to be left alone or whatever.

"What if I hurt his/her feelings and they follow me to my car, and...".

Maybe this guy was that way? Sad, really.

I read a report, linked from a google new site, that he shot Darrell in the head "up to five times".

Holy cow...the poor guy (Dimebag Darrell) never had a chance. Usually one does the trick.

Fangorn

2004-12-09, 20:50

Back in the day , I knew people who were "close" to Pantera (or thought they were). Back when it was "Diamond" Darrell. Pantera never did make it big, which I know disappointed lots of people (not me). They used to play in the clubs where I grew up, even before I was old enough to legitamately get in, and they were real rock and roll. I saw them in several small clubs back in the late 80s. Then I saw them some time in the early to mid-90s and they different--different singer, all crude and foul. I never looked back.

But I guess Darrell finally got his national recognition. Too bad he had to die for it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-09, 20:56

Yeah, there's irony for you. The guy probably got more coverage, attention and press today - for being killed - than he did during his entire guitar-playing life.

Weird, huh? Life is funny that way.
SKMDC

2004-12-09, 21:20

America has got to get a grip on it's mental health problem.
Cam'Ron

Send a message via MSN to Cam'Ron  
2004-12-09, 21:53

how was pantera never big? i consider a number one album pretty big, especially more a hardcore metal band! far beyond driven was an awesome album and dimebag (diamond) d was an awesome guitarist. its messed up to think how easily you can end up dead for something as trivial as leaving a band, bloody bizarre. btw, the lead singer has been the same since their first album, so im not sure if u (fanghorn) are confused.
SKMDC

2004-12-09, 22:01

Pantera WAS huge, I know plenty of people who are certainly bummin' over the news. Dimebag however didn't cross cultural lines, so a Lennon comparison would be inappropriate, but to people that were into Pantera and the metal scene, the loss will be incalculable. I mean, look at Randy Rhodes.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Fangorn

2004-12-10, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'Ron
how was pantera never big? i consider a number one album pretty big, especially more a hardcore metal band! far beyond driven was an awesome album and dimebag (diamond) d was an awesome guitarist. its messed up to think how easily you can end up dead for something as trivial as leaving a band, bloody bizarre. btw, the lead singer has been the same since their first album, so im not sure if u (fanghorn) are confused.
That depends on what you mean by their first album. "Far Beyond Driven" was in 1994. I saw them for the first in the 1980s--probably 85 or 86--almost ten years before then. I saw them before they had an album on anything resembling a major label. If memory serves, and it has been a while, when I saw them the had an "album" but it was self-produced. And I can't remember if I had it or not, but I'm certain a couple of my friends did.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-12-10, 15:57

Cowboys from Hell came out in 1990 with Phil Anselmo as the singer. From memory there was a singer prior to Phil and they were considered to be more of a "glam" rock band, hence the original name "Diamond" Darrell.

I have been to a few of their concert but recently they they pissed me off. Anselmo would be high on something and all he could talk about is how they were the biggest band in the genre. You just wanted to yell, "Shut the fuck up and play!"

As for Darrell, he was considered to a be a good guitarist who will be missed by friends and many fans.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Fangorn

2004-12-10, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
Cowboys from Hell came out in 1990 with Phil Anselmo as the singer. From memory there was a singer prior to Phil and they were considered to be more of a "glam" rock band, hence the original name "Diamond" Darrell.

I have been to a few of their concert but recently they they pissed me off. Anselmo would be high on something and all he could talk about is how they were the biggest band in the genre. You just wanted to yell, "Shut the fuck up and play!"

As for Darrell, he was considered to a be a good guitarist who will be missed by friends and many fans.

Yeah, like I said before, I don't remember names. The first singer I remember was tall, skinny and had Bon Jovi hair.