User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Is there a way to accept invalid certs with Safari?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is there a way to accept invalid certs with Safari?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-15, 09:49

I'm running 10.15.x and really hate having to open Firefox just to manually accept a bad cert. I deal with things that are self-signed and such all the time and would really rather allow Safari to ignore or just want me if the cert is bad rather than just stopping me in my tracks. Is there a way to tell Safari to let me be the judge of bad certs? I get they code it for the masses and their protection, but I'm not the masses.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-16, 06:45

I could’ve sworn there was a way to do that with your admin password?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-17, 11:49

So I just ran into this.

If you have a "This Connection Is Not Private" banner from Safari, you can click "Show Details". From there, you can click "visit this website". That'll require you to type in your admin password in order to change "certificate trust settings". And then you're good to go.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-18, 08:10

I don't recall seeing that "This Connection Is Not Private". Normally it ends up just being words in the middle of the screen that say a secure connection couldn't be established. I fixed the servers that my certs hadn't update on so now I need to find something else with a bad cert and I'll test it out again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-18, 19:03

I tested it out an I have no options to click to accept the cert. This is in macOS 10.15.x with up-to-date Safari. From this article it looks like Safari just gives a middle finger and tell you to have the admin fix the server.

That isn't a fix for developers. How about a means to disable the cert check with "developer mode".