Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhone 11 not Qi charging.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 11 not Qi charging.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-14, 09:31

My iPhone 11 has stopped gaining charge when it’s on a Qi charger. It says it’s charging, but doesn’t actually gain any charge. This happens on multiple Qi chargers, in my car, on my desk, on my bedside table.

It charges normally when plugged in.

Any ideas what might cause this?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-06-14, 09:48

Have you updated iOS recently?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-14, 10:20

I think I’m up to date.... iOS 13.5.1
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-14, 13:00

Tried a different phone on the chargers?

Got a new case?

Got one of those magnet-y things on the back of the phone?

Credit cards back there?

Tried it without whatever case you are using?

iPhones 11 would still be under warranty, so try all those above things and, if all fails, get it in while you can. Make sure you take in all the pieces so you can demonstrate the issue.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-14, 20:57

I woke up this morning and my phone was dead. I assumed that I didn't put it on the charger right or bumped it in the night. I'm going to have to pay better attention to it tonight/in the morning. I just updated my phone a few days ago.

My phone used to charge and be full by morning after an overnight on the Qi pad. So case isn't a problem and nothing else has changed.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-14, 21:59

Same here. I think this may be a 13.5.1 thing? Same case as always. Wife and daughters phone charge fine on the same pads.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-15, 08:07

Something's not right here.

(This was with the case removed too, just in case.)

Last edited by Bryson : 2020-06-15 at 09:16.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-15, 11:56

And the phone is charging fine when plugged in?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-15, 12:30

Yep. (If you look at the graph, see the three smaller charging areas earlier in the day - that was plugged in.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-15, 12:44

Could definitely be a software issue, although you could check that against the wife and daughter's phones. If the software is the same, then you are barked. If not, then you could upgrade one of their's as a test.

Starting to sound like your wireless charging coil/electronics is failing, though.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-17, 13:37

Weirder and weirder. It does charge on my desk Qi charger, it turns out. But not the one on my couch, bedside table or in my car. My wife and daughter's phones charge on any of them.

The only difference I can see is that my desk charger is powered by one of the big 10-port Anker chargers, so maybe is higher wattage than the usual cube iPhone charger?

I guess I'll try swapping the pads between the PSUs and see what the results are. Annoying as the pad by my bedside is pretty new.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-19, 09:53

If it is the little chargers that we were getting with iPhones for years then it is likely not capable of providing the power needed for the charging pad to work right.

Mine charged normally since I last posted. So either I didn't put it on the pad right or maybe something else. Either way, mine has changed normally since. My charging pad is a Monoprice special 7.5W. Works well overnight so I'm pleased with it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.