User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Boot Camp Help Resource and Video Games Compatibility List

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Boot Camp Help Resource and Video Games Compatibility List
dualbootguru

2006-07-10, 16:50

Hey everyone. I compiled a bunch of information on Apple Boot Camp since Apple isn't officially supporting it just yet.

LINK: http://www.dualbootguru.com

The site is designed to answer the most commonly asked questions about Boot Camp such as:

NTFS vs. FAT32
Video Games Compatibility List
Which games run at 1440x900/1680x1050
Booting from an external HDD
Ctrl+click = right click
etc.

I would REALLY appreciate it if you visited my site. It is really designed as a help page and I would appreciate feedback on it. I know, for example, that the games compatibility list is not yet complete.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please continue to update me with any games that have been confirmed to work (and if they support 1440x900 or 1680x1050). This list ought to be helpful to many Mac/Boot Camp gamers out there.

Lastly, I do not want to sound trashy, but if you do not mind, maybe you could click on one ad from the site. I need money to pay for its upkeep and it is really not designed for my own profit in the first place. It is designed for everyone who uses Boot Camp.

If this site gets many visits, I will make sure to keep it up-to-date with all information that I can squeeze into it.

It has been a ton of work making this site, so just one visit/ad click would make a big difference to me.

Thanks, and have fun using Boot Camp!!

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-10, 17:06

Normally when someone just registers to pimp their site, I'd delete the post and ban the account.

However, in this case this site actually has some worthwhile content, so I think I'll let this one slide.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
dualbootguru

2006-07-10, 23:41

Thanks. I really put a lot of work into the site for the community. I'm not trying to advertise the site in a bad way. I want people to be able to use it and provide input here.
rminkler

2006-07-10, 23:46

I applaud your enthusiasm, but isn't it a little silly that you are putting together a boot camp windows games compatability list, given that boot camp just boots a normal windows version that has standard access to the video hardware (when you boot windows on an intel mac via bootcamp your mac becomes a PC).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-10, 23:55

rminkler, remember that this is Windows, and Windows can get picky about drivers and stuff. Apple's drivers won't always be of equal quality to the ones that other PCs use (both pre-built and homebrew). Sometimes they might be better, other times they might be more outdated. So a compatibility list would be a nice thing to have.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-10, 23:59

Luca, Apple's graphics drivers are ATi's, and Apple's sound drivers are Sigmatel's. There are probably some minor customizations, but I've never heard of any specific issues.
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-11, 00:07

does anyone know what must "start-up" with bootcamp-ified windows? on my custom box, I only start jusched. Everything else is disabled along with a bunch of unnecessary services. Are there any potentially system hardware damaging ramficiations by disabling any of this stuff on my MacBook?
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-07-11, 00:45

There shouldn't be. The only potential ramification that I can think of would be that you may lose some useful system functionality, such as the use of the Eject key for example (enabled via an Apple-supplied executable). I've done this in Windows for years, for both troubleshooting and general resource optimization, without any considerable issues.
dualbootguru

2006-07-11, 01:22

The compatibility list is to assure users that their games will work. Sometimes this is silly, but a few games actually haven't worked like Unreal Tournament '99.

Also, the compatibility list tells if you can run it at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 which is very relevant for Mac gamers.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-11, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualbootguru
Also, the compatibility list tells if you can run it at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 which is very relevant for Mac gamers.
That's a good point. Many games aren't that good at supporting widescreen resolutions.
dualbootguru

2006-07-11, 20:20

True. 16:10 is hard to come by for whatever reason, but its support is slowly growing as more and more 16:10 monitors come out.
seek3r

2006-07-11, 22:10

hmmm...
In terms of fat32 versus NTFS, you got something wrong. The 32GB ceiling is one imposed by windows, not by the filesystem. I have a 160GB external disk sitting on my desk right now formatted with fat32. fat32 scales up to 2TB I believe... (In other words, the windows format utility wont do anything bigger than 32gb, but nothing's stopping you from formatting it and *then* installing windows, assuming bootcamp doesnt have a problem with that)

Also, as for security, that's relative as reading the drive in OSX (and/or linux) will not check permissions. Also, you left out that ntfs is read-only in OSX while fat32 is read/write
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-12, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
That's a good point. Many games aren't that good at supporting widescreen resolutions.
You can trick just about any 3D game into running at custom resolutions. I do it all the time on my 30" beast, as 2560 x 1600 is almost never a supported resolution. It normally involves a registry (ick) edit, in the case of WC3, or an .ini edit, in the case of C&C Generals, and sometimes its as simple as changing a shortcuts target string, like in Sim City 4.

There are other things to consider too, such as how the point of view will change if you blow the resolution up too much. WC3 is no fun at 2560 x 1600 because the camera seems too close, everything is too big. I run it at 1920 x 1200 with a black frame. Or, sometimes elements of the games UI don't work when you're at a nonstandard res. If you go higher than 1600 x 1200 in Freelancer, you lose the HUD. Again, I run it with a black frame. Finally, some games just won't render that big. SC4 wont go higher than 1920 x 1200 for reasons I am completley mystified by. I can make it ANYTHING below that, but not above.

Not that I figure these things out myself, of course : The Widescreen Gaming Forum Wiki. They just switched from forum to wiki format, so their wiki is woefully empty, but that shouldn't last long and the forum is still perfectly accessible.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2006-07-12 at 01:20.
BlueApple

2006-07-12, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualbootguru
Video Games Compatibility List
Which games run at 1440x900/1680x1050
You forgot to mention Quake 4 on your site.
neiltc13

2006-07-12, 14:58

It's disappointing that the website is covered in ads.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-12, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
It's disappointing that the website is covered in ads.
I'm always surprised to learn when websites that look perfectly clean to me are covered in ads to someone else. Thank you, hosts file! They're not making any money off of me.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
dualbootguru

2006-07-13, 12:00

Seek3r, I added those changes.
dualbootguru

2006-07-13, 12:03

BlueApple, I added Quake 4.

And to neil13tc, where are you bothered by the ads? There are only a few on the index. I am genuinely interested to hear your opinion.
dualbootguru

2006-07-19, 18:52

Update: We have added a forum to our site in which you can write your own article and we will review and possibly publish it.
dualbootguru

2006-07-21, 18:03

Our discussion forums have been thoroughly updated.