AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Digital Camera Chat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Digital Camera Chat
Page 112 of 114 First Previous 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114  Next Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-09-30, 10:51

One of the dual pixel APSC Canons might be just the ticket for cost and video performance.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-09-30, 10:56

Anyone doing serious video won't be using auto focus. To get the most out the dual pixel AF you need to have STM lenses anyway.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-09-30, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Semi-debatable. Unless you really need those extra 20MP, the 5D MKIV is a better camera in just about every way (dynamic range, noise, speed, auto focus).
The point is it still falls short of the D800/D810 and the A7-series cameras in dynamic range and noise. The dual-pixel autofocus is nice for live view and video, but alone it's not worth the price of admission alone...not when STM lenses get you most of the way there with other Canons. The Lytro-esque feature is a toy and everybody says you should never turn it on. The focus gains are barely perceptible and the feature doubles file sizes.

In most cases any noise in the 50mp image will be mitigated by downsizing the photo to 30mp.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-30, 20:38

Well, I'm not interested in any of the Nikons so that isn't a big deal in this search of mine. I could likely make it without WiFi, though I don't want to in this day and age. I'll look at the 7D and see if it will work for my needs/wants. Certainly I can make it work, but not sure it would be worth it to cut the corner. Then again, I don't even know the price difference between the two right this moment. Guess I'll head to B&H and find out.

I have less than zero desire to use this new camera for anything other than still images. No video at all is planned from this camera. Sure I might use it for that every now and then when I''ll have the ability to, but it is not a factor in the least for me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-09-30, 21:36

Yeah, we're just having a side discussion on where the 5D Mk IV belongs...and the answer is "collecting dust on store shelves until they knock down the price significantly."
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-30, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The point is it still falls short of the D800/D810 and the A7-series cameras in dynamic range and noise. The dual-pixel autofocus is nice for live view and video, but alone it's not worth the price of admission alone...not when STM lenses get you most of the way there with other Canons. The Lytro-esque feature is a toy and everybody says you should never turn it on. The focus gains are barely perceptible and the feature doubles file sizes.

In most cases any noise in the 50mp image will be mitigated by downsizing the photo to 30mp.
No argument there, I was simply speaking to the Canon line itself, since that is what turtle was asking about.

I always find it amusing that Canon hypes up better dynamic range etc, even though they are behind 4 1/2 year old cameras. Makes anyone who bought a D800 in 2012 feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Of course I still hear from Nikon shooters who lament not having the 50MP sensor of the 5Ds or 5Dsr or whatever they are called. Meh, my experience using the D800 was that the sensor was great, but the build quality and overall experience using the camera let it down. To be honest I feel that way about all the post 2012 Nikon bodies, ever since Nikon started looking for ways to cut production costs, and jacking up the prices. As for Sony, unless they can figure out how to make a usable UI and battery life that is actually usable for more than a hour I won't even look at them.

My eyes are watching Fuji long term (APS-C), I'm not at all hyped about medium format to be honest. The last thing I want is something bigger, heavier and more expensive than a mid-range full frame DSLR.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-09-30, 22:47

I like my D810 a lot. No issues with build quality. Sure it's slightly heavier than a D750 and doesn't have a flippy screen. It's also the first Nikon DSLR without white noise from its microphone jack and I get more usable low-light photos from it vs. my D610.

Working with 100s of 36mp raw images does slow things down a lot in Lightroom. Hard to imagine what 50mp would be like.

Last edited by Eugene : 2016-09-30 at 23:57.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-10-01, 00:01

Nikon has some great cameras, and Sony sensors, but I've been left rather turned off from buying any new products for various reasons. The $2300 D700 (my favourite camera ever, bar none), and $1800 D300 I owned were great cameras, never had any issues, and were much better made than the then $3200 D800 (the D810 is now $3999... seriously Nikon?). My D800 had AF issues, a mushy 10pin socket (I was afraid it would break every time I used it), rubber grips that were disintegrating after two years. Maybe my camera was a dud, but I was not happy, sensor aside. I know many other D800, and D810, owners who are very happy, but I was not for those reasons.

I feel about the same with the D750, great camera in concept and overall, but plagued with issues and recalls. Build quality is fine, better than the D800 by far, even if it isn't a full magnesium alloy body. But there was the the flare issue, then failing shutters, and other issues. I've also had a lot of AF issues. Just too many problems with the newer Nikon cameras for me, and now that it is rather expensive to send the cameras to be fixed, I have to ship insured to the other side of the country for repairs (very expensive let me tell you), because they shut down the west coast repair centre to save money, so service is also a pain in the neck.

I like the Nikon platform, sensors, flashes, lenses, but the issues with cameras and service are really leaving me feeling ripped off over the past 4 years. I have over $10,000 of Nikon gear, and there are days I just want to get rid of it all and start again, but frankly that would just not be cost effective. Nor do I think Canon or the other brands are trouble free, I'm just frustrated.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-10-01, 13:02

It's hard to believe I got both a D810 and a D800 for just under 5K, and it would cost upwards of 4K to get just a D810 now - granted, one was a refurb unit - the D810 with exactly 4 shutter actuations. I wasn't planning on buying it, but it was too good a deal to pass up, even almost two years ago.
Robert_Bronx

2019-09-29, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Yeah, but those apsc 35s are just normal primes, not wide normals.

I'm sorta intrigued by this Nikon Mirrorless announcement. There are a lot of "ifs" which we'll see answered soon enough, but it would be sort of interesting to turn my 70-200 into a 200-520 zoom - if it mounts F lenses.

Sure, I could get the same thing out of a 1.7x TC+DX body, but overall quality might not be too different, might even favor the smaller cam under certain conditions...

If it comes at a digicam price (albeit a premium digicam) say, <399 with kit lens, and is no larger than P7000, G12 etc.

If it shoots video very well, no rolling shutter for starters. One rumor suggests that there will be phase detection AF built into the sensor, which would make it unique, but is not essential to fast AF performance...

I'd consider buying one over a P&S, if
I'm just having a random thought and wondered how hard it would be to change from Nikon to Canon? I don't have a lot invested in Nikon (I have just two lenses and an old camera body), so I think from that standpoint switching to Canon wouldn't be a big deal. Are there other factors I should consider apart from the gear I already have?

Also, what's brought this up is that I'm pretty impressed with the Canon 80D. I've read a number of reviews like photographytalk.com/canon-eos-80d-review and think it would be a great upgrade without having to spend a mountain of cash. From what I gather, it's right in the middle of entry level and pro cameras. Is that right? If any of you shoot with an 80D, I'd love to hear about your experiences with it. Thank you!

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-10-01 at 13:48.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-09-30, 04:30

a small bit of searching reveals canon released their 90D camera recently, so this post is suspect...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-01, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
a small bit of searching reveals canon released their 90D camera recently, so this post is suspect...
Yeah, I'm concerned about that too, so I removed the direct link. Gonna let it stand for now. We'll see if Robert_Bronx wants to play by the rules:

Quote:
AN Guideline #8: Spamming will not be tolerated. Spamming can be defined as posting excessively with no content, posting with commercial intent, or posting solely to redirect traffic to another site. This also includes pyramid schemes or other opt-in advertising services. Do not use the forums for personal gain or to boost your post count. Spamming will result in an immediate ban from AppleNova without warning.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-01, 14:20

I'd go so far as to say it is beyond suspect. The spammer quoted a post from 2011-08-17, 08:49.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-01, 14:32

Yep. I'm going with the benefit of the doubt for right now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-01, 14:36

Heh, I was bored at the moment so I searched his username. You'd be shocked to know he spammed at the other forum I found that username on.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2019-10-01, 16:02

I applaud K's restraint. This mod thing just might work.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-10-01, 16:48

he's a goddamn professional spammer.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-01, 18:58

I believe he is. However, I do not want to get into the habit of banning on the first post unless it is so blatant that I cannot let it stand. I am quite certain that there have been a few new users we have attacked right out of the gates who were truly here to become part of the community, and now they are no longer coming around because we were too quick to judge.

In this case, the first warning has been cast.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-10-23 at 15:42.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-11, 20:47

I am wondering what the most economical miniature camera systems are now... are micro four thirds cameras still a thing?

How did they pan out?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-02-11, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I am wondering what the most economical miniature camera systems are now... are micro four thirds cameras still a thing?

How did they pan out?

Micro four thirds is still around, and still Panasonic and OM Systems (formally known Olympus, which was bought out). M4/3s is kind of meh I suppose, limited by the smaller sensor size, but will still out perform any smartphone in good hands. Panasonic focuses more on video stuff, and OM is kind of dated now in terms of just about everything. Most of the new mirrorless camera systems are rather compact, as long as you stay away from the high end stuff and DSLRs. The one thing to watch out for is that all the new systems have new lens mounts, other than micro 4/3s, which has been using the same mount for many years now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-11, 23:10

I was hoping to find something that was incredibly small and compact, with swappable batteries, and an interchangeable lens system.

I can't find this block-like Sony model anywhere, but it kind of excites me.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Yes, that's a fake I created.

I suppose the REALITY is going to be in a more conventional SLR form factor.

At a gathering last weekend I moved around taking candid shots and it felt SO good.

All I want is a platform to fiddle around in, and if the costs are lower then maybe it would be an affordable buy-in.

I still wish there was a thing like the Sony gizmo above

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2023-02-11 at 23:22.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-02-12, 09:32

Compact pocket cameras died when smartphones took over. Any still being sold now are 5-6 years old, and not worth buying for the asking price. Never seen that Sony thing before, let alone heard of it. Looks more like a video camera concept, and I suspect it’s render made by someone and not something real (correct me if I’m wrong). As for affordable, depends on what you mean by that, the average interchangeable lens camera priced has soared in recent years, like everything else. Modern entry level stuff has gone from $499 to $899 for example. SLR camera are dead, nothing new in the last 4-5 years (other than Pentax, which in itself is basically dead). Everything is mirrorless now.

All interchangeable lens systems have swappable batteries, so that’s won’t be hard to find. Depending on how you want the camera to work, the more automatic pick it up and shoot without thinking, features you want the cheaper it is oddly enough. Cameras seem to be the odd ball in that regard, with better manual controls reserved for higher end models.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-12, 17:22

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I haven't looked at consumer cameras in a while. You probably missed the spoiler tag on my last post; I created both of those examples in Midjourney.

Since that last post I have done some looking and kind of think I might like to get another Fujifilm camera, and the past model X-T4 in silver (with a silver 35mm lens) is really calling my name.

My wallet is, however, reminding me to go easy.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-02-12, 21:59

If there are any camera shops in your area that take trade-ins you might find some lightly used stuff for good prices. There are a lot of people in the camera community that buy every new model that comes out and trade them in for the latest and greatest, even if they only took 1000 shots with the last one.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-13, 09:59

Man I haven't seen a real camera shop in so long. The closest we had in Tidewater was a Ritz and it closed YEARS ago. There used to be a mom and pop shop but it disappeared before Ritz did.

I wonder if there is anything like that where I live now. I might have to look...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-02-13, 15:50

They survive in Vancouver area because of the film industry I suspect.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-13, 18:41

Great idea! KEH was an Atlanta outlet. I could check with them.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-20, 23:01

Well, I did a thing and I'm really excited about it all.

So much to learn, so many questions.

Had a problem with the dual battery charger - the batts were just not charging correctly and I was afraid they were somehow damaged.

However I tried plugging the charger's USB cable into my laptop and the batteries are charging correctly now - they're really advancing up toward 100%.

Either the charger brick that came with the camera is weird, or that power outlet is wonky or something.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-02-21, 00:43

What did you get, the Fuji?

Usually those dual chargers are third party, don't know any of the non-super high end camera bodies that come with that from the factory. Cannot say I've ever been terribly impressed with third party batteries or chargers and usually stopped using them in favor of OEM stuff.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-21, 12:47

Yes! Fuji X-T4.
I think I'm going to love it.