Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The instrument of my death
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Thank you for taking that pic, murbeau. I honestly do appreciate it a lot!
He just wants reciprocation.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-14, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
He just wants reciprocation.

Naaaw... No way!

He's being a sweetie because he's so joyful about his gorgeous new bike.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-14, 12:50

Murbot, remember that when you have your wife on the back, a quick squeeze on the brakes gives you a little boob-squishing action.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 13:12

Just be careful what she's hanging onto. A badly timed clenching of the hands, and you're in pain.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-06-14, 14:47

my plate...describes my motor type and also is mildly suggestive...win win

nice bike bot, drive safe

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-14, 15:32

A great looking machine. Makes me dream of my motorbike days. sooooo long ago, they were great times. Enjoy Murbot. But be careful.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-14, 16:05

Hey, thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with the colour scheme and look of the bike too. I'm sure I'm the only guy in town with one, so that's kind of cool too.

BTW, my introduction back to riding is pretty crazy. On my way home for lunch I had just merged onto the highway with a super busy pack of vehicles at 80km/hr, and a really big pot of some kind (couldn't tell if it was some weird pottery or a breakable thick plastic) fell out of the back of a truck. It was 3 vehicles ahead and one lane to the left of me. People swerving out of the way, etc, and I had to swerve to the far right of my lane to avoid the flying mess.

I swear the bike gods are either after me, or just doing this to me to scare me into really taking it easy for now.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-14, 18:37

"So have you ridden it off any sweet jumps?"
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-15, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
"So have you ridden it off any sweet jumps?"
*Stops stopwatch*
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-15, 12:18

Hey guys, thought I'd give you the heads up on some really sweet riding gear on eBay.

Authentic Ben Roethlisberger Riding Gear Replica

EDIT: D'oh!! The damn thing is over. Oh well, still worth checking out.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-15, 12:52

Video of a murbot style beer run on the new bike.
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2006-06-15, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Or a round-trip... (the guy is seriously demented, how he's still alive baffles me)

even so he's still a skilled driver
¡Damned!

2006-06-15, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
300 km/h?!? Jeeezus. I got a little over 200 once and it scared the living shit out of me.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-15, 15:09

Jesus H. That's friggin' fast.

I had my Katana 750 up to 245 on the speedo when I had it, but of course I know that's a pretty false reading... was probably more like 225.

Apparently my GSX-R will hit 276 km/hr. Can't wait until the break-in is done. heh heh
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-15, 15:44

Highly Disappointed in you murbot. There is dirt on the back tire.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-15, 15:48

Shit, you should see it right now. It hasn't stopped raining since I got it.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-15, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
Or a round-trip... (the guy is seriously demented, how he's still alive baffles me)

even so he's still a skilled driver
Jeez... talk about batshit crazy...
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 20:10

How did Ben Roethlisberger even own a motorcycle? I'm surprised that his NFL contrat didn't forbid it. I've read, and seen Michael Jordan comment on a couple of occasions that one of the reasons that he's so big into bikes now is that he wasn't allowed, by the terms of his NBA contracts, to ride while he was playing.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-16, 10:32

I'm totally building one of these.

I just won't go twice as fast.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-16, 10:38

he missed the foam pit
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-16, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
duuuuuude, we want videos of you riding that thing!!!!!
My first ever ride!!!
¡Damned!

2006-06-16, 14:15

That's classic. I'll bet it was the camera guy's bike too.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-06-18, 06:20

PS Murbot, I hope you've found a nice quiet helmet for those triple digit runs. Do you wear ear plugs? How do you keep the wind noise from driving you nuts?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-06-18, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot

Wow, don't worry you'll be able to take the training wheels off soon.

BTW, Congrats on the bike, it looks awesome.

Last edited by turtle : 2006-06-18 at 09:07.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-18, 09:08

When I'm going a short distance I don't bother with hearing protection, but for a ride longer than my short commute to work, I definitely have ear plugs in. I don't want my hearing getting shot worse than it already is.

My new helmet does do a better job of cancelling out some wind noise, though. Funny how spending $600 on a helmet does that kind of thing.

My "training wheels" are the self-imposed 7500RPM limit for the first 800 km, as recommended by Suzuki. They also recommend not going full throttle for this period. I think it might just be to break the engine in properly AND to get you use to the damn thing so you don't kill yourself. At half throttle and only using half of the RPM range it's still faster than my Katana 750 was.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-18, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
When I'm going a short distance I don't bother with hearing protection, but for a ride longer than my short commute to work, I definitely have ear plugs in.
I think that's illegal here in the US. You might want to check Canadian law about that. If they're that loud though, maybe it's worth an extra ticket whenever you get caught speeding
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-06-18, 13:35

At what speed would you say the wind noise gets bad without plugs? I find I have two problems, which by extension are problems with all moto gear, I imagine. I hate being hot -- which we can only evade by going faster, or wearing less protection. T-shirt and an open face helmet seem OK for the times I will go out. But I don't even touch busy roads, let alone HWYs. Which is problem number two -- you always worry about that 'what if?' or more appropriately, 'Oh shit!' scenario, where you're not wearing a full face helmet, jacket, gloves, etc etc... I find up to about 60km/h OK with an open face and no plugs, but I seem to be a little sensitive to white noise types of sounds -- seems to provoke a little ringing in the ears -- open car windows and buffetting, harsh shitty stereos, tinny sounds. It's almost as if I hear them too well...

I only putter about on a P200E occasionally, no commuting, learner's permit still, for what seems like forever, never find the discipline to actually follow through, should have long ago, though, since now I'm under the graduated system... And recently we've added motorcycle designations by capacity. It's still crude. So far there are only two reduced speed designations: LSM (limited speed motorcycle) which is 50cc and under, and moped (or motor assisted bicycle, 50cc mac, 55kg max weight, 50kph top speed). It's the same qualifying test no matter what, but you only get licensed based on the bike you use for the test. Using the P200, I would still be qualified for any manner of donor-cycle from 50 to 1400cc and beyond, but I've heard rumour that we may be changing this and also adding another category or two -- under 250cc, or "automatics", have been bandied about... It'll be interesting to see what we come up with. In principle I tend to agree with this approach, so let's see.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-18, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I think that's illegal here in the US. You might want to check Canadian law about that. If they're that loud though, maybe it's worth an extra ticket whenever you get caught speeding
Yup, it is indeed illegal in most places in the US (as in: I don't know of anywhere that it's not, but there might be somewhere.)

I've seen inserts for helmets that add extra cushioning to the sides, in a donut around the ear, to cut down on noise. Maybe that would be a good idea instead?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-18, 14:03

Hmm...

They require you to wear helmets to protect your grey matter, but make it illegal to protect your eardrums...

Something's not kosher here....

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-18, 14:13

Well it's that whole not being able to hear horns, screeches, and "LOOK OUT YOU DAFT BUGGER!" thing.