Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The instrument of my death
Page 5 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]  Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-06-18, 14:24

Things are seldom kosher for the two wheeled community:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/Quebec.asp

Popular scapegoat, the motorcyclist. If we apply age, sex, and driving record as insurance criteria, then type of vehicle, I think we'd be fine. This is just an attention grabbing statement and effort to differ blame to some group which must be bad, because their activity is less popular. I know plenty of people on two wheels (and some very powerful two wheelers at that) who are a lot safer than some of the teenage twits driving around in "riced" civics...

In Ontario, the government has actually been quite effective in lowering insurance rates, or at the least steadying them, without causing any major upheavals in the system, or bringing in a state (province) run plan. The regulator has been very active. Concessions as to compensation were made, overall liabilities for insurers reduced... education of consumers, and some competition in the market seem to have gone a long way. I didn't beleive it at first, but my car insurance actually fell in each of the last two years.

Bike insurance is a different story here too, but maybe with new licence categories and some similar work, those will become more sane and sensical as well. Certainly with the reality of escalating gas prices, and urban planners in cities, and regions and provinces, starting to get serious about the development of transit communities, two wheeled conveyances should only become more popular, and the respective voices of those users more respected as far as insurance goes.

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but in the GTA at least, a bike is a legit 8 month a year travel option. Weather tends to stay good enough through the end of October, and usually the roads are clear by mid March ...

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-18, 15:13

That's what I figured.

But I was given to understand that earplugs are good for white noises reduction; you could still hear normal conversation with them on and that it doesn't filter high frequencies, e.g. horns.

At least, that's what I observed when I worked with blue collar workers.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-18, 17:13

Depends on the plugs. Some do what you describe, others do a more thorough blocking. The foam inserts are great on long flights - the jet noises are diminished, but voices aren't. (You can suddenly hear conversations one or two rows away, when people think they have complete privacy. ) Silicone ones tend to block out much more of the noise in general though - they're great for sleeping in a noisy environment, where people may be having conversations around you.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-19, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
...they're great for sleeping in a noisy environment, where people may be having conversations around you.
Um... like in meetings at work?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-19, 15:57

Exactly!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-06-19, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
…7500RPM limit for the first 800 km… …using half of the RPM range…
I've never ridden a really high-performance motorbike: are you suggesting the engine in your new toy can spin to 15000 RPM?! If so, is it so peaky as to be almost uncontrollable?
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-19, 17:05

Yes, redline is 15,000, but it'll actually rev up to 15,500 before hitting the limiter (so I have read).

I've only had it up to just over 12,000, don't want to redline it until after 1600 km.

It's just as smooth at 12,000 as it is at 7000-8000, it just tries harder to pull your arms out. For non-track riding I think the most likely thing to make it "uncontrollable" is the speed.

Hell, you're at 130 km/hr (80 mph) at redline in first gear, so I'm not sure what speed you'd be at redlining it in second or third gear. Definitely licence-revoking speeds, anyway.

EDIT: hey, I just noticed I have a picture of the damn thing. What the hell, I'll post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redline.jpg (62.8 KB, 6 views)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-19, 17:31

I'm looking into getting my car to redline at 15k.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-19, 18:31

Meh. RPM is only half of the equation. After all, formula one can go 100K RPM.

However, a 18 wheeler truck engine breezes along under 10,000 RPM (6,000 RPM being the usual, IIRC). As a result, the diesel engine lasts much much longer while formula one engine has to be rebuilt for every race.

I'd rather be driving a cab and scoring some roadkills.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-19, 18:32

Namely Murbot on his cycle...
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-06-19, 18:35

This got me interested enough to check the specs for the engine to discover how Suzuki got that sort of speed out of the engine. Turns out the specs are the most outrageous I've ever seen (I'm not really into bikes, much less replicas), starting with a ridiculously over-square cylinder with 70.0 mm bore x 48.7 mm stroke, which gives the room needed for four huge titanium valves driven by hollow double overhead camshafts. I couldn't find the valve-timing info (I presume it has variable valve timing?), but it must be extremely aggressive to work at 15000 RPM. The forged alloy pistons have very short skirts, there are large vents in the crankcase to lower the pressure, the double-barrelled throttle bodies are 50 mm in diameter, there is a dedicated balancer shaft to reduce vibration from the crankshaft across the wide RPM range, and the compression ratio is also pretty high at 12.5. The exhaust system is also tuned to improve the torque range. Looks like Suzuki have thrown just about every technology available at the engine. They even designed a ram-air intake system to increase power at speed and positioned the engine in the chassis in such a way as to reduce intake port length.

The grand result is something close to 200 hp/litre. Which is frankly insane. As I said, I'm no expert on motorbikes, but surely this amazing piece of engineering won't last more than a couple of summers before the engine blows?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-06-19, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana

However, a 18 wheeler truck engine breezes along under 10,000 RPM (6,000 RPM being the usual, IIRC). As a result, the diesel engine lasts much much longer while formula one engine has to be rebuilt for every race.

You may want to check those numbers again. My Porsche redlines at 6500 and that is with a hacked limiter chip.

My dad built a car and tuned a Buick engine to 7500RPM along with some other sweet enhancements. It gets about 350 HP but is not street legal because technically it has to be turbocharged to pass smog. Go figure, but who needs 500+ HP in a tiny Celica. You can already break the tires loose in fifth gear at 65 just by stepping on the gas.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2006-06-19 at 18:47.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-06-19, 18:53

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A racing car engine's limits are much higher, as high as 20,000 rpm in Formula One.
Well, you were off by <1 order of magnitude...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-19, 18:57

A figment of my imagination, apparently.

Correct numbers:

Formula one: 15K RPM
Big diesel engine: 2K RPM (barely, actually)

*Goes running off to read Wikipedia some more before spouting crap again*
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-19, 19:07

It's okay fruit. Sometimes being sterile has that effect on zygotes.

(Sterile Banana)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-19, 19:10

WTF?!?

Hang on, everyone. I've got a rampage to attend now...

They must pay for holocaust! They *will*!

*shrieking lunatic*
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-06-19, 19:41

Actually, the RPM limit on the rotary engines is artificial and apparently for the driveshaft and associated parts. The engine itself will do it just fine.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-06-19, 20:53

Ooookkk. I don't know where rotary engines come into play. Even radial engines (which I plan to incorporate into a Tim-Taylor-would-be-proud blender some day) would be new in this thread.

If you are talking about normal everyday car and motorcycle engines, that you have to worry about preiginition, valve springs, airflow, and all sorts of other things that limit RPM. The drive-shaft has nothing to do with RPM limits since it is located after the gears in the transmission.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-06-26, 00:07

How mubot meets women
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-06-26, 02:56

OMG, I don't think I'd be able to leave the house again after something like that.

The guy is obviously not a footballer/soccer player, otherwise he would have stayed down.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-06-26, 05:33

Quote:

Wow! That's a lot of RPM.

My parents VW station car usually trots a long at a leisurely 2-3000 RPM. And the Mercedes GD scout cars we used in the army could run as low as 1000 RPM, very good for sneaking around.

100K RPM?! No wonder their engines doesn't live longer than they do.
beardedmacuser

2006-06-26, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
100K RPM?! No wonder their engines doesn't live longer than they do.
As usual, Wikipedia can set things straight... "Formula One car engines."

Currently 20,000 rpm is about as high as an F1 engine will go.
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2006-06-26, 06:49

Don't drink and bike.

I've had a bad experience with that, and my bike didn't even have an engine. =D

Last edited by Zodiac : 2006-06-26 at 06:56.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-06-26, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmacuser
As usual, Wikipedia can set things straight... "Formula One car engines."

Currently 20,000 rpm is about as high as an F1 engine will go.
And I didn't read the thread properly.
murbot
Hoonigan

2021-09-28, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionja View Post
On another note, I've never seen that Ducati gt1000 before. It is hot. I want that bike. Haha, but I'm still mastering the little rebel.

OK wow, I was just trying to look up an old thread about my bike, just had a convo about it with my daughter, couldn't remember exactly when I had posted this..... Can't believe it's been 15+ years!! LOL

My daughter (Apple Insiah DOT TOM girl) is 20 now and just randomly decided she was going to get a bike this year. So she enrolls in an introductory course at the college, buys some boots and a jacket, starts looking at bikes.... so we buy her a new helmet too... end up finding a fantastic deal on a 2019 Rebel 300! She had been putting money away so we just rolled in there with some cash and the rest is history.

I haven't had the Gixxer for years now... but now I've got the bug again. I'm thinking something slower, cheaper to insure, less likely to die on... but still fun as hell and something the neighbors can still get mad at me for riding down the street. LOL Sweet deal on a DRZ-400SM that I might go have a peek at next week....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (151.4 KB, 16 views)
murbot
Hoonigan

2021-09-28, 20:33

BTW, man I hate looking at super old threads like this and not seeing any of the pics posted. So sad.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-29, 03:57

Dammit Murray, you've created a new generation of mayhem.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-09-29, 06:58

Epic bump!

Love that your daughter is an integral part of history for this message board. 20 years old… * blink *

Safe riding.
murbot
Hoonigan

2021-10-07, 18:18

I know man, it's crazy! The years go by so goddamned fast.

Here's the new machine: 2019 Suzuki DRZ-400SM.

Got a hell of a deal too, they're a tick over 9 grand out-the-door from the dealership, and I paid $5300. It was $5500 but I got a couple hundred off for some scraping on the side plastics from his cargo bags that were on there, might use that for new ones or some graphics. Looks ok from a bit of a distance, but they're pretty dulled out and scraped up close. Anyway, there are definitely benefits to buying a motorcycle when there's only 3 weeks left to ride. It's only 2 years old and was just rolling over 1000km, so not even broken in yet. I did the first oil change myself yesterday and still about 600 km before it's officially broken in according to the manual.

This thing is so fun to ride, I literally can't ride it without smiling. Super light and flickable, lots of low end torque, front end comes up nicely on command. Plus a way lower chance of killing myself on this thing than a sport bike!!