User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 156 of 222 First Previous 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-25, 18:15

Welcome to my world. We have no idea when our town's shooter will go to trial.

Bunch of fuckers can burn in hell.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-25, 18:19

Yeah, I wonder what this one's deal was.

Glad he's caught. Will be interesting to hear the details.

It won't matter, or change anything, but I just always wonder about the "why".

Assuming there even is one.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-25, 18:24

We won't get to hear the "details". These prick's get lawyers, don't and won't talk, and we never get anything but a bunch of speculative social media BS and finger-pointing amongst political parties.

Seriously, the shooter should be on trial tomorrow morning, and should be swinging from the gallows by Wednesday at the latest. But, as Ryan said, "Trial, what trial?" Dudes are sitting in prison eating 3 squares per day, lifting weights, and enjoying their fame.

This prick—as with all of these pricks—is no longer fit to live and breath amongst civilized human beings. The death penalty is the only answer. But, we won't do that because we want to "understand" and "sympathize" and "debate" and such.

Just hang the prick!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-25, 18:58

This is an exceptionally bleak silver lining but the local media here has at least learned not to repeat the shooter's name on and on and on, as a way of denying them their notoriety.

Sadly Colorado's history of mass shootings required them to learn all that the hard way.

Last edited by Ryan : 2021-10-25 at 20:04.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-25, 19:15

Oh man, you're right...you guys have had some of the bigger, more awful ones, haven't you?

Columbine and that Batman movie idiot in Aurora(?).

I remember the day both of those happened.

I was actually traveling, on a road trip to Portland, Oregon, with the Batman movie thing happened in July 2012.

We sat in the hotel room that night and watched all the coverage. We were in Cheyenne, Wyoming at a Motel 6 off I-80 and we were just stunned beyond words.

Originally, when we reached Portland, we'd planned to go see The Dark Knight Rises. As it turns out, neither of us had any desire and I was on a flight back home the next day, having gotten my friend (and her two kitties) safely out to her new place. I finally got around to seeing it about three weeks later (after having seen both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight on their Thursday night advance screenings). I just no longer cared, and I didn't (couldn't?) fully enjoy the movie, sitting there in that theater just weeks later. I remember my eyes, the entire time, kept darting down to the EXIT doors on either side of the screen.

I don't even like to watch that one when it comes on TV because that's all I associate it with, that theater shooting.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-25, 20:09

Columbine, Aurora, Highlands Ranch school, Planned Parenthood, Boulder and those are just the "big" ones. So many other schools and churches and shops that have been forgotten.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-25, 20:41

No good deed goes unpunished.

Somehow makes it a little worse.

Okay, let’s shift gears a bit and just post funny, weird or freaky things here for 24-48 hours. No death, no violence.

Find the news story about the violin-playing cat, the fourth-grader who accidentally built a working lightsaber or the tollbooth operator who made a coat out of Cheez-its. Something shark- or space-related, etc. Leaks about an upcoming Austin Powers movie…
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-25, 21:26

Well, New Zealand fired their official wizard.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ard/ar-AAPAb54
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-25, 23:35

The Peacock app keeps showing me ads for what is quite truly the dumbest show I've heard of in a while.

"Unidentified with Demi Lovato" in which she investigates aliens and UFOs.

I just... can't believe that's a true sentence.

What sort of coke-fueled orgy does it take to green light something like this?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-26, 01:06

Well of course! I’d expect nothing less…

Maybe we should ask the group in question - and see how they feel about it - before we get all offended/handwringy, unsolicited, on their behalf?

“We’ve actually managed to run out of shit to be outraged/offended over on this planet, so let’s make sure the Venusians and Romulans aren’t having a tough go of it!”

This one has always struck me as someone with more baggage than the Samsonite outlet store. And about two sandwiches short of a picnic.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-26, 09:14

Some people are probably just better off lost.

Quote:
The rescue team kept trying, but repeated calls and texts to the hiker’s phone went unanswered. So, a team of at least eight launched a pair of hours-long searches only to be notified the hiker had safely returned to their lodging location the next day,

The hiker, who authorities have not identified, told rescuers they had no clue anyone had been searching for them. Their phone had been buzzing, the hiker said, but they repeatedly declined the calls since they were coming from an unknown number.
Dingbat.

Hey, I hate telemarketers as much as the next person, but…

Quote:
The incident led the Lake County Search and Rescue to share a lesson for hikers.

“If you’re overdue according to your itinerary, and you start getting repeated calls from an unknown number, please answer the phone; it may be a … team trying to confirm you’re safe!” the department said in a statement.
Ya think? I love that slight whiff of passive-aggressive snark in the comment.

“Hey, dipshit…here’s a handy tip!”

Is Colorado vying to be the new Florida?

With apologies to Ryan…
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-26, 10:34

A lot of S&R missions get triggered by idiots. In my town we usually get a few dead tourists every year who think they can free climb the Flatirons, a set of sandstone fins jutting up out of the foothills. They're not terribly difficult climbs and experienced climbers can certainly climb them without any ropes—they're pretty slanted so it's not like you're going straight up a cliff.

Yet every year a few tourists hear that they can be free climbed and they decide that means they should be free climbed. Those are the ones who end up dead at the bottom, usually in flip flops or tennis shoes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-26, 12:40

Our long national nightmare (well, one of them) may be coming to an end.

This means I can kiss those additional therapy sessions goodbye!

Quote:
What’s in a Pop-Tart? Not enough strawberries, according to lawsuits filed against Kellogg Co. , which makes the pantry staple.

Over the past year, at least three lawsuits have been filed claiming the brand’s strawberry-flavored varieties don’t contain enough actual strawberries relative to other, lesser-known fruit ingredients.

The latest suit, filed in the Southern District of New York last week and focused on Pop-Tart’s “Whole Grain Frosted Strawberry” flavor, alleges that the products contain more pears and apples than strawberries. The case asks for $5 million in relief.
Sounds completely reasonable...

This actually gives me encouragement to pursue my case against Oscar Mayer. There are no beagles whatsoever in their hotdogs. So their little charade against the public is about to come crashing down, if I have anything to do with it!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-26, 17:17

An update on our local shooting:

The suspect was shot by police and was in critical care. He died today, thus saving our tax payers many millions of dollars.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-26, 18:14

Such. shame that so many tax dollars are saved now.

Here is a cool story at Paul's request. Dads on Duty helping to keep kids in line at a school that was out of control.

Just a group of Dads being there seems to be enough to help the kids get it under control.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-10-26 at 18:25.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-26, 18:16

That's awesome, Turtle. Dad's need to be involved. When they're not, well …
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 13:03

Well, at least the school is appropriately named.

Kentucky high school staff members got lap dances from students, photos appear to show...isn't that the opposite of how these things usually go? When did the students rise up and demand their equal time/opportunity to fly their skank flag?

Quote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The superintendent of an Eastern Kentucky school district said "appropriate disciplinary action has been taken" after photos surfaced showing students giving lap dances to staff as part of Hazard High School's homecoming week festivities.
Shit, we just had a pep rally and a dance.

Hard to believe the staff - all of them? - sat there and took it. Did they think a) it wouldn't get out, and b) that people would be okay with it? Do they not know how the world works in the era of smartphones, social media, texting, oversharing, etc.

Quote:
Photos that were subsequently taken down from the athletics department's Facebook page showed students in underclothing giving lap dances to faculty and staff, including Hazard High School Principal Donald "Happy" Mobelini, who is also mayor of the Perry County city.
Three months off and this?

I like how the principal doubled-down on his chances to wreck his life via scandal. "Hey, it's not enough being a high school principal...let me be mayor too! If the students don't get me, my harassed secretary will!"

Quote:
Other photos on the athletics page that were later taken down showed female students dressed up in "Hooters" outfits as well as students and staff appearing to paddle one another.
The further I read, the worse it gets. I think I saw this on Cinemax once.

Quote:
Sondra Combs, superintendents of Hazard Independent Schools, told The Courier Journal the district "has a tradition of excellence and academics and everything we do...
Sounds like it.

Quote:
...but the incident is being investigated and once the investigation is complete, appropriate action will be taken."
Starting with "hey, y'all STFU and learn to keep stuff to yourselves", followed by a joint field trip to the Pussy-on-the-Pole Club & VD Emporium

Quote:
Combs said a "student activity committee" would be formed "to review all student led activities" and that all staff would undergo further training "on policies and procedures.
Imagine those bullshit PowerPoint slides, and a room full of people all trying to act like they didn't know anything was wrong/weird. Take notes so it doesn't accidentally happen again.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-10-28, 13:10

Wow, that’s… bad… Also, I didn’t realize adults could be that dumb.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 13:18

Exactly.

Hard to believe, as soon as it started, at least 1-2 didn't put a stop to things.

"We're not endangering our careers/reputations just so you can indulge any 17-year-old skankdom fantasies...as with any other high school, that's what the football team is for!"

Or was it more of a "hahaha, how cute/funny...the parents/community will surely get a kick out of this!"

Then again, the parents did raise the aspiring dollar bill collectors...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 13:30

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking this probably fixes everything!

Facebook changes its name to Meta.

As in "I never Meta bigger bunch of loser dipshits"? That kind of Meta?

The overall company name is now Meta, but Facebook, the social media thing, stays as is.

Hey, dance with who brought you.

Quote:
"From now on, we're going to be metaverse first, not Facebook first," said Zuckerberg. "I hope that people come to know the Meta brand and the future that we stand for."
I think most folks know exactly what future you stand for, puddinghead. That's the problem.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-28, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
followed by a joint field trip to the Pussy-on-the-Pole Club & VD Emporium
Everything you typed got lost and forgotten as soon as I read this bit.

¡Damned!

2021-10-28, 15:12

Quote:
That is a terrible, terrible name.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-28, 15:29

You didn't listen to Paul. This fixes everything!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
That is a terrible, terrible name.
Well, it's a terrible, terrible company, so what can anyone expect? Like a glove!

Focus-grouped and tested to death, I'm sure. AND viewed/tested from every possible angle to make sure there's nothing that could remotely be seen as any sort of affront, offense, -ism, -phobia, etc. to ANYONE, ANYWHERE.

There are probably only about 120-135 words left that meet those requirements at this point , so I'm sure it took some time. They seem to think "Meta" is one of them. But Twitter will let us all know by sunset if not, I'm sure.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-10-28, 16:41

Points for sentiment/position!

Double points for “like a glove!”
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 16:58

Is this kinda what Google did a while back with Alphabet? Where that's kinda the big overall name of the company? Facebook is under the Meta umbrella, the way, say, Android, is part of Alphabet?

Am I anywhere close?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-28, 17:08

Quote:
Is this kinda what Google did a while back with Alphabet? Where that's kinda the big overall name of the company? Facebook is under the Meta umbrella, the way, say, Android, is part of Alphabet?

Am I anywhere close?
That might be where they're going with this, but not yet. Alphabet is a holding company; subsidiaries such as Google and Fitbit are legally separate companies (although currently, Pinchai is the CEO of both Google and Alphabet, but before that, for many years, there were different CEOs).

There aren't really a lot of well-known brands other than Google under the Alphabet umbrella, but you may have heard of Waymo, their self-driving car stuff. That used to be part of Google, and no longer is.

It might be that Facebook is aiming for a similar setup, where they can separate some of their riskier stuff. For example, perhaps they feel Oculus (the VR headset company) is a better fit not being a Facebook brand but rather a subsidiary of Meta, for reasons including:
  • it's a bad look
  • it's a bad culture fit
  • the financial incentives of Facebook (ads, etc.) could be quite different than those of Oculus (hardware sales)

Wikipedia (currently) claims Meta is already a "conglomerate holding company", but I'm guessing that isn't true. I don't believe a separate Facebook, LLC or whatever has formed yet. Nor do WhatsApp, Instagram or Giphy appear to be separate legal entities. So, I think whoever wrote that doesn't know what they're talking about. But I haven't watched the announcement video because ew, so maybe I missed an announcement there.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-31, 20:26

Equality! Everybody happy now?

I'll say only two things:

1) It's highly unlikely she was forced at gunpoint to participate. Forget "highly unlikely"...she damn well wasn't and everyone knows this. She knew what she was getting into, who her opponent would be and she obviously agreed to it all.

So that leads to...

2) Was she then expecting/hoping he'd take it easy on her, due to the presence of a vagina? Because, if so, then what's the point? To prove that she can take an ass-beating as well as any male fighter taking part in a questionably-matched bout?

Because that seems to be about all that came from this.

Progress.

Weird story...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-01, 12:53

3 seconds in and it's clear that both of these folks are amateur clowns with little "actual" experience. In other words, the "ass kicking" she got came at the hands of a male fighter who isn't all that (and not in very good shape). Plus, the ref saved the woman from the ass-beating she was demanding. Dude got in about five mediocre socks to her elbow before the ref saved her pretty, little face from getting smashed. Wasn't even worth my time — or anyone else's for that matter.

Personally, I want the world champion female fighter in the ring with the men's 200th-ranked fighter. That's what I want to see.

And I hope she has a good plastic surgeon.

More and more of these clown shows are cropping up in an attempt to find the next Billy Jean King Dukes It Out With An Old Man setup. The first time a woman slugs a guy and knocks him down, Women Are Just As Strong As Men will be chanted in the streets for years to come. Won't matter that she was in her prime and he was 30 years into retirement.

In the words of Jordan Peterson: The strongest women and stronger than most men, but the strongest men are stronger than all women.

This is a hopeless and futile endeavor, and one that can only be solved by granting women their wish: Women should be forced to compete directly against men in all athletics. Eliminate all gender-based athletic programs and shove them all into one group. The best players make the team, and the money goes to the best. The argument will not be finished until that comes to pass.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-11-01 at 13:09.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-01, 15:40

Somebody wanted it, somebody made it happen. Their rankings or ability don't matter because it wasn't about that.

And the male fighter should never agreed to it because he should be smart enough to know he's screwed, PR and reputation-wise, no matter what happened. Idiot.

"You beat up a woman? How dare you!"

Or, had it gone the other way...

"You got beaten up by a woman? WTF?!"