Why does the press hate Apple so?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why does the press hate Apple so?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-05-24, 09:43

From http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...coshole_1.html

Quote:
Yet another "highly critical" hole has been found in Apple Computer Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system, which will allow remote system access by getting someone to visit a malicious Web site.
Yet another? Yet another? It makes it sound like Mac OS X is some kind of sinking ship with all these holes.

It goes on to complain about Apple not "keeping users informed" about things like the 44K AppleScript floating around proporting to be Office 2004. Guess what asshats, that case is BLATENT STUPIDITY on the part of the user that OS makers like Apple can do NOTHING about.

Well, I'm at a loss. Why on earth do the press in general have it in for Apple like they do?

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-05-24, 11:01

it's always more fun to see the mighty fall.

it's not news when MS has a security hole, it is when Apple does.

any time someone sinks down to a lower level they were above before, there's some sick satisfaction for those who've been looking up at them the entire time.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-05-24, 11:45

Well, this happens to any company (or individual) that gets a great deal of media attention.

It's the standard press cycle: build them up, take them down. Rinse and repeat.

Apple is getting the heat now because it's new for them. And -- let's face it -- the current URI bug with Help Viewer (now fixed), and Terminal (not yet fixed) is also spectacularly bad. But yeah, the whole "yet another" angle is pretty silly. As far as I'm concerned, there's exactly one major, half-resolved security hole affecting OS X right now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-24, 12:51

Just funny. How many "holes" has Windows had in the past year or so? Virus and worm problems?

Yeah, exactly.

Hell, at least Apple seems to be somewhat on top of things quickly issuing updates and stuff. Oh, and not shipping an OS with all the doors and windows left unlocked and wide open, practically begging for this kind of nonsense.

In any case, I'll let you all know when that first virus/worm totally brings me to a crashing halt, or causes me three lost days of work.

Fun to pick on the king of the hill, I suppose. Some people just have their butt in a wad that Apple isn't the bloated, suffering company it was prior to Jobs' return.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-24, 13:47

Quick about patching? Apple definitely doesn't have the security problem (read: total disregard for any security whatsoever) that MS has, but why have vulnerabilities like this been around for weeks or months without getting patched, and why was only part of the hole patched? I know it's not particularly dangerous unless you do something stupid, but still... it doesn't make any sense to only patch part of the problem. I hope Apple's history of not having security problems hasn't made them complacent.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 19:46

Yeah, Apple needs to get the patches out when a hole is found. Sure they'll recieve some bad press, but it won't be as bad as if they wait for weeks(Microsoft, I'm looking in your direction).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-24, 19:57

On second thought, anyone downloading a 44k file, expecting it to be Office 2004, almost deserves to have their machine monkeyed up.

They a) shouldn't be doing it in the first place ("warez", or whatever the hipster spelling is this month) and b) anyone that generally clueless to think 44k is going to magically decompress into 650MB of pure Office 2004 goodness is, well...a couple sandwiches short of a picnic and is probably better served by an Etch-A-Sketch or LiteBrite.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 21:38

Why does the press hate Apple?

1) Because Apple is still around - and that is inconvenient. The press likes simple stories - and Apple complicates things. These days, the press would like to portray a battle between the staid, dominant, but worthy giant Microsoft, and the plucky, neat, upstart Linux. For the most part, Apple does not fit into their storyline, and they would prefer not to have to pay attention to it at all.

2) Because MS has its fingers everywhere, including in the IT press - and it desperately needs some stories out there that imply "see - they are just as bad as we are".
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-25, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
On second thought, anyone downloading a 44k file, expecting it to be Office 2004, almost deserves to have their machine monkeyed up.

They a) shouldn't be doing it in the first place ("warez", or whatever the hipster spelling is this month) and b) anyone that generally clueless to think 44k is going to magically decompress into 650MB of pure Office 2004 goodness is, well...a couple sandwiches short of a picnic and is probably better served by an Etch-A-Sketch or LiteBrite.

You sir, took the words right out of my mouth (fingers). Haha.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-25, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

yeah - I'm with you on that too 'scates... I can't abide pirated software or theft in general.

Figurativley speaking: "Folks, if you're going to do the crime, be sure you can do the time!" (ie: suffer the consequences of illegally installed s/ware)

All I want is a simple life
twitter