Apple Media Event September 9

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Media Event September 9
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-08-27, 13:35

It's official.

And I'm first to post because no one cares!

"Hey, Siri, give us a hint."

I'll take that hint and call it a Siri-enabled Apple TV with App Store.

Otherwise, more iPhones, which I could give a rip!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-08-27, 14:50

Not sure why they have chosen to use a 7,000 seat venue.

Seems very odd to me. They have never used that venue before and they surely won't be inviting 7,000 members of the press. Will they invite the public somehow? Is there a need for such a large space beyond capacity of the audience?

They apparently have a permit to shut down a street... could just be for staging and entry/departure but maybe something else?

Last year Apple used the event to preview a "revolution" and a new product sector for them, the Watch. Could Apple be doing that again this year? A sneak peak at an Apple Car? Even if it is a year or two away.... it will inevitably have to go through government testing and trials and become very public at some point.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-08-27, 14:57

I'm still not convinced they're working on a car for retail purposes.

However, a game-changing Apple TV would merit such a venue.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-08-27, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'm still not convinced they're working on a car for retail purposes.

However, a game-changing Apple TV would merit such a venue.
Would it though? Still don't see the need for such a large capacity venue. There has to be a reason why they would go with more seating capacity than their past venues.

It's also a weird venue in that the floor of it is expo style in that it's pretty much just a large open space that they will set chairs up in. But the balcony is huge. The place really is a massive barn of a venue for this thing.... and it honestly lacks intimacy. I've seen concerts there.... it's not great.

But.... it's famous for the Dead. Maybe a tie-in with the Dead & Company..... new dead spinoff minus phil less but with john mayer... apple does love it's john mayer.

hmmm

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-08-27, 15:48

That's a really big floor space. I suppose if a car was in the works, that would be a great way to show it off.

Apple clearly is planning on having more people. Since they aren't going to tell us what it is, they're clearly either thinking that more are going to attend, or there are going to be a bunch of personal invitees.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2015-08-27, 17:49

With that invite I'd say Force Touch is all but confirmed for the new iPhones. Clever way of using Siri's iOS9 voice waves.

So it goes.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-08-27, 22:40

Well the primary difference besides capacity that the bill graham has compared to the typical venues of choice is that it IS possible to get a car on the stage or on the floor. At the other venues it is not. Just saying.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-08-28, 00:10

We won't see a car. It's way too soon.

It's the same place the Apple II was announced, apparently. Just as last year's event venue had Apple history too.

I think the new Apple TV is going to be presented as a major new initiative, on par with Apple Watch and Apple Music. Even without the TV service (which most agree is delayed until 2016), adding apps instantly turns Apple into a disruptive force in the game console market, even without a traditional game console.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-08-28, 01:35

I smell another concert.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-08-28, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
With that invite I'd say Force Touch is all but confirmed for the new iPhones. Clever way of using Siri's iOS9 voice waves.
You know, I didn't see that, but I certainly do, now. The little Apple leaf is pressing down into the apple. Go figure. Good eyes, Grey!

iPhone 6s w/Force Touch
iPhone 6s+ w/Force Touch
iPhone 6c
Apple TV w/App Store
iOS 9
U2 playing "Bono Is An Egomaniac"

Thanks for coming!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-08-28, 11:15

No surprises here, new iPhones maybe an Apple TV. I just wish my iPhone's lighting port hadn't just crapped out. Need to get it fixed or replaced ASAP.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-08-28, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
You know, I didn't see that, but I certainly do, now. The little Apple leaf is pressing down into the apple. Go figure. Good eyes, Grey!

iPhone 6s w/Force Touch
iPhone 6s+ w/Force Touch
iPhone 6c
Apple TV w/App Store
iOS 9
U2 playing "Bono Is An Egomaniac"

Thanks for coming!
I'm not convinced that there will be an App Store for the Apple TV. If there was going to be I really feel that Apple would have unveiled at WWDC and given developers a 3 month head start.

Instead I think that the primary feature is going to be Siri and search across curated channels.

I expect the musical guest to be John Mayer and Bob Weir.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-08-28, 12:52

With that said.... Content is key...

I wonder how long it will be until we have Apple Movies to compliment Apple Music.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-08-28, 13:12

I really am looking forward to this.

I'm hoping for a big AppleTV update. I can do without the channels and content for now, just give me a new device with an updated UI and some 3rd part support and I'll be golden.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-08-28, 17:41

New iPads? I thought that new iPads were also coming.
Wrao
Yarp

2015-08-28, 21:47

It'd be pretty cool if they had a tech demo of the car ready to unveil and used the large venue to showcase it(e.g. have the car actually drive itself out onto the floor type of thing, let people see it up close). I still believe Apple is doing the car, I think it is inevitable. But for there to be a meaningful tech demo already would be surprising, seems too soon and perhaps more importantly, there are too many variables outside of Apple's direct control that could delay or change the finished product in such ways that a public tech demo at this stage could backfire a bit.

I guess we'll know immediately though by how the floor is set up.

Otherwise, I don't think it's too weird for Apple to want to expand their venue. They're huge and iPhones are a really big deal, that's reason enough, really.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-08-28, 22:09

So, packaging has leaked. SPOILERS!

The names are iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. Expected, but Apple throws curveballs sometimes. I thought they might go to 7 because "iPhone 6s Plus" is a mouthful. (Also, I thought they might like to stay one ahead of Samsung.) But nope. Dual suffixes it is. And yes, they're still doing the lowercase "s" thing, even though " iPHONE 6S" will probably be everywhere in uppercase San Francisco (or as font nerds call it, Frisco).

Also, the base model is still 16GB, which is just catastrophically disappointing.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-08-29, 08:38

Why is a 16GB base model disappointing? Do you think there should be an 8GB available as well?

Also, any speculation on the specs of the new iPhones? What is Apple going to do to keep them ahead of the curve? I mean, beyond Force Touch? I must say that my experience with Force Touch while (extensively) trying out the new MacBook in stores has been ho-hum. I can't see it as a big attraction myself. But maybe it is one of those things you have to work with for a while to really appreciate it.

Checking out the wider rumours, there is some speculation of new iPads as well, but nothing all that firm. I expect that this will not be at this event.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-08-29, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Why is a 16GB base model disappointing? Do you think there should be an 8GB available as well?
16GB isn't enough. The iPhone 6s should have 32GB standard.

The real reason the average selling price of the iPhones went up about $100 over the previous year isn't just because of the Plus, it's because everybody is buying the 64s now. Especially after the whole iOS 8 update thing. Apple is cheaping out on the storage to try to upsell people, and it's working, but what they're doing is making it way too easy for an uninformed user to have a bad experience with an Apple product. They're prioritizing short-term profit over the long-term strength of their brand.

$649 is entry level for the iPhone 6s, but that's not a cheap phone. It shouldn't be a penalty box. There's going to be people who are still getting these phones next August, and they're going to be paying for them on their cell phone bills until August 2018.

There shouldn't be a bad iPhone you have to tell your friends and family to avoid, and I think the 16 kind of is that, now.

Also, the cheaper Galaxy S6 comes with 32GB standard.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-08-29, 12:17

Robo is right on the money, considering how NAND memory prices have been falling it is outlandish for a phone the price of the entry level iPhone 6 (let alone the new one) to have 16GB storage. 32GB should be standard for all but the iPhone 6c or whatever they call the budget model.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2015-08-29, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
The focus on the leaf is a hint that Apple will launch their car, a direct competitor to the Nissan LEAF.

The colors include RGB because a new TV will come.

Also, Siri is mentioned because it'll be replaced by Cortana.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-09-01, 10:40

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/01/...n-rogers-lvmh/

Ian Rogers joins fashion conglomerate. Unrelated but interesting to speculate about what information he has absorbed over the past year, particularly about the Apple Watch that would prove very valuable to a conglomerate with fine watch brands under its ownership.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-09-01, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Also, Siri is mentioned because it'll be replaced by Cortana.

Favorite reply so far

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-05, 19:55

I've already decided that if the news about the 16GB still being the entry-level model, I'm just going to go with it. There's no way in hell I'm going to spend $299 on a 64GB model. That'll just be a waste for me.

While I'd love the 32GB model to (finally) be placed at that $199 mark (and save the 16GB for the $99 and below models), the fact is I've had a 32GB iPhone 5 for nearly three years (since October 2012) and I always have between 17-20GB free (out of a reported 27GB "available". Once again, I over-bought and didn't really need to. I dropped $299 in 2012, thinking "well, I'll have a ton of space...". I sure did, and didn't really use any of it, as it turns out.

So a 32GB iPhone would be nice, just for the headroom and complete lack of worry. And if those rumors are bogus and I can get a 32GB 6s for $199, I'll be happy to do so, of course (foolish me, I've assumed all along that was just a given, heading into 2016...a 32/64/128 lineup). But I'm not paying $100 extra to get the 64GB, knowing 50-55GB of it will sit empty and unused for two years.

So they're only getting $199 from me this time around, no matter what. I'll make it work. I'm not the app and photo hound I've been in the past, and I'm currently using less than 3.5GB of space(!) on my 32GB iPhone. So I think I can make that work just fine on a 16GB if I have to. I'd rather save the money at this point than have 64GB that'll never get used.

If Apple lames out and keeps the 16/64/128 thing again, then surely, come 2017 on my 7s purchase (assuming I still even give a shit about any of this stuff...and there's no guarantee, either way, this point), they'll finally get around to having a 32/64/128 lineup? Would be nice. While I don't like going "backwards", I'm more okay with that than paying extra for something I'll never need/use.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
But, big picture, I did what I set out to do and finally got myself to the second-year "s" cycle. To be perfectly honest, my desire for/faith in a Rev. A/first-generation of any Apple product is pretty much non-existent, unfortunately...going forward, I'm only interested in the "s" variant iPhone. I'll let others be the guinea pigs for the 6, the 7 next fall, etc. Their QC seems to have slipped and suffered a bit over the years. But me keeping my original 2007 iPhone for a full three years really screwed me up, upgrade-wise, over the years. In eight years, I've had only three iPhones, with two of them kept for three years. If I'd been smart (and upgraded after my first two-year contract expired in 2009), I would've upgraded after those first two years to the 3Gs, then I could've gotten the 4s, 5s and now the 6s...a spiffy, proven/improved-up "s" model every two years. Going forward, that's what I'll now be able to do. Just took an extra full year of the iPhone 5 to counter that 2007-2010 thing. Took me long enough...
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-09-05, 22:04

There is a little bit of debate as to what prices Apple will actually show given that 2 year contracts with hidden subsidies are no longer offered by any major U.S. carrier. Now you see more of the total cost of ownership. It does seem that if you are currently on one they will allow you to continue on it so maybe they'll keep the fake prices one more time. I'm sure the last thing they want to do is have those bloated full retail prices up on a giant display.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-06, 14:43

Since we're on the subject (kinda), can anyone here give me a sensible, reasonable price that I should be asking for my phone when I go to sell it next week (or, realistically, once Chattanooga gets reliable stock of the 6s, which should be early October if the past few years are anything to go by)?

- iPhone 5
- AT&T
- silver/white faceplate
- 32GB
- Excellent condition (minor scuffs/chinking on the rear-only chamfer). No scratches or gouges, not chipped finish, etc.
- The screen is PERFECT: no scratches, never been broken/replaced, no gouges, no dead pixels or lines, etc.
- All original packaging, paperwork, Apple stickers, charger, Lightning cable, earbuds and the iPhone itself

but, best of all:
- It went in last month for the iPhone 5 sleep/wake button repair program, where, in addition to the sleep/wake button being replaced, according to the paperwork, the battery (076-00006) and camera (076-00007) were replaced. That's a $79 thing (the battery). And it came at a great time because in its 33rd or so month, I was noticing that expected drain and inability to stay charged like before. But since I got it back (July 24) it's like a new iPhone in terms of battery performance.

What would you ask for it, if the above was yours?

A quick glance at my local Craigslist (and surrounding areas), I see quite a few 32GB iPhone 5 models going for $300. I guess it's a matter of finding that right person who prefers to buy off-contract, etc. That's who I sold my iPhone 4 to in October 2012 (for $200, two years after I paid $199 for it in fall of 2010).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2015-09-06, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's who I sold my iPhone 4 to in October 2012 (for $200, two years after I paid $199 for it in fall of 2010).
Call that guy back? He might be in the market again.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-06, 20:09

I never kept up. I asked him to email or text me back within a week to let me know everything was cool (he did, and it was), and I wound up tossing his contact info after about a month. I don't even remember his name. A young guy, living about 30 miles south of Chattanooga down in Georgia.

I'll be putting it on Craigslist soon, but I have to time it well because it kinda hinges on when I can my hands on one and I'm ready to give this one up. It may very well be a month from now, just because that's about how long it takes for our big flagship AT&T store to get reliable, walk-in-and-buy-whatever-color/capacity-you-want stock (at least these past 3-4 years).

I'm not doing the line-waiting thing and all that craziness. It isn't that important to me. Let others be a 2-3 week guinea pig in case there's some horrific first-batch issue ("they explode in your ear!!").
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-09-08, 13:54

Uncle Kick's Krazy Idea #487:

So the venue for tomorrow's event is huge. It also has a large flat concrete floor, from pics I've seen.

Spectators in the stands, empty floor to bring out an Apple Car?

Naw.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-09-08, 14:48

Uncle Kick is a bit late to said speculation.

But, that's what happens when you get old.