iOS and iPadOS 15

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS and iPadOS 15
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-20, 12:19

Both just became available for download to my devices. I'm looking forward to getting these features on my devices. I skipped beta but my kids put it on their iPads.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2021-09-20, 13:31

I won't use most of the new features except for the updated Maps. However, I'm excited to upgrade because I was getting hit with a weird Apple Card family sharing bug that's supposedly fixed in iOS 15, where any payment would cause my watch and phone battery to drain really fast for the rest of the day.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-20, 14:25

Checked for the update, connected via iTunes (the way I always do). Telling me that 14.8 is the current version. No biggie, I'll try tonight. I've read that everything supporting iOS 14 (including my prehistoric SE) will load iOS 15. May not be the best, but sometimes they actually improve things for older devices.

I'm mainly interested in the new weather app, and ditching, once and for, the near-useless Weather Channel app which, was one of the first third-party apps I ever installed, ages ago.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-20, 14:42

(Updates often take a few hours to roll out worldwide.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-20, 15:55

I know. But I checked again about 15-20 minutes later and it was available. Already installed. I like Weather. Bye-bye, Weather Channel.

Is the typeface different? Or the sizing/spacing? Something's different in the lettering/reading and overall "look".

It sure dig bug me a lot upon restart with notices, "here's what's new", questions, setups, etc. I guess when I launch an app for the first time in the coming 1-2 days I'll get that.

Haven't really used it enough in the past 30-40 minutes to have much more to say. But the messaging, email and phone part are all working as they should, so that's half the battle. Everything else - Maps, Weather, Safari, Notes, etc. - is gravy.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-21, 00:24

Updated my iPad (5th gen), thankfully no change in responsiveness. Might wait till the first point release for my phone, depending on how it goes on my iPad this week. Not a huge fan of the new Safari tabs, or how the bookmark side bar works now. Before you could leave it on a set folder and close it, now you have to go back to the main list of stuff to exit. Really Apple? Who thought this was a good idea?

Scates, the new weather app is from the Weather channel, jokes on you.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-21, 07:23

I thought the new app was from Dark Sky with the data from The Weather Channel/IBM?

So far I've installed this on all my devices and everything is working fine. It took a while as I'm sure those CDN lines were burning up with everyone grabbing at the same time, never mind that I'm on a 50Mb/s pipe at my house.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-21, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Scates, the new weather app is from the Weather channel, jokes on you.
They get their feed, yeah. Always been that way. But I kept the other around for maps, radar, etc. It was always a bit of a mess. Now I just have one weather app. I like the stuff they incorporated from that Dark Sky acquisition. It’s way more complete/useful to where I no longer need a second, more robust app.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-22, 22:24

Okay, here’s a question/issue…

Prior to iOS 15, even if Do Not Disturb was activated, if I was using my phone I could still receive notifications (I had the option of DND only doing its thing when the phone was asleep).

I’m lying here now on my phone, 20 minutes after DND auto kicked in (11pm - 8am) and I missed two texts from my friend. I was i Safari and never knew until I closed it and saw the little red badge with “2” on the Messages icon. Prior to iOS 15, I would seen/heard a notification if the phone was awake/in use even if DND was active.

Am I overlooking smething or did they remove that option in 15 and I need to manuall check to see if someone has messaged me? If I’m awake and using my phone during that 11-8 timeframe, as I sometimes am, I do not mind getting a text notification. Is that where I’d allow that app to break through? But I only want it when the phone isn’t asleep. I don’t want shit beeping all night, negating the reason I’ve got DND on to start with.

That whole Focus section in settings hurts my head. It’s confusing and convoluted as hell!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-22, 22:59

You aren't overlooking anything, that's a documented change to DND.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-22, 23:02

Unfortunate. They should put it back.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-22, 23:25

It is odd, it looks like there are options to allow calls and notifications from from people through, in the DND settings but, it doesn't say what kind of notifications and you have to add each person/app you want to allow. At least on iPadOS. It might have something to do with the Focus settings, Personal and Work and such.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-22, 23:46

This is currently impossible, yep. Annoyed me during the betas, although overall, I find Focus to be an interesting feature.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/09/21...ature-removed/

Last edited by chucker : 2021-09-23 at 08:27.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 08:00

You know,I'm glad this was brought up. In the iOS 14 method I had a group named DND in my contracts so those could breakthrough. I haven't looked a Focus yet because it is convoluted. If I take the time to look at it I'm sure I'll get the hang of it and even master it. However, at first glance during my workday I just don't have the time to "work through" the details of it.

I actually like the concepts though. The ability to create a "me time" Focus, tweak my workout time communications, etc sound amazing in theory.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-23, 08:13

I hate when they fix things that aren’t broken.

Speaking of which, I notice auto-correct is still worse than it used to be. The stuff it substitutes blows my mind. I’ll type a common, sensible word and it gets replaced with complete lunacy/nonsense. Not sure how this is “intelligent” or progress,
chucker

2021-09-23, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You know,I'm glad this was brought up. In the iOS 14 method I had a group named DND in my contracts so those could breakthrough. I haven't looked a Focus yet because it is convoluted. If I take the time to look at it I'm sure I'll get the hang of it and even master it. However, at first glance during my workday I just don't have the time to "work through" the details of it.
I can't say because I never used the break-through thing myself, but Focus does have stuff like "allowed contacts", so I suspect those would be imported into the new system.

Quote:
I actually like the concepts though. The ability to create a "me time" Focus, tweak my workout time communications, etc sound amazing in theory.
Yep.

Plus, apps that support it (like iMessage) will (opt-in) show your current focus so people can see why you're not responding.

I think it's a clever expansion overall — they took something quite specialized and made it more broadly appealing.

I do hope the iOS 14 "weak DnD" behavior makes a come-back, though. When I'm at the doctor's office, I want what is now the only behavior: turn off notifications even while I'm using the device. But when I'm merely napping on and off, I do want notifications while I'm using it. My hope is they'll let me create two different DnD focuses, for both of those scenarios.

I've also created a "Fitness" Focus. In iOS 14, I had already curated a health/fitness-specific screen anyway: big widgets for Activity and Pedometer++, then a number of apps including stuff like AutoSleep. Swipe to that page, and I have a grand overview. In iOS 15, I could reuse that work to make a Focus that will only show this single screen. It's not a huge thing, but it kind of makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I hate when they fix things that aren’t broken.
I get that, but such is the nature of progress. For this particular thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a return in 15.2 or something.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I notice auto-correct is still worse than it used to be. The stuff it substitutes blows my mind. I’ll type a common, sensible word and it gets replaced with complete lunacy/nonsense. Not sure how this is “intelligent” or progress,
It's been very hit-and-miss for me since roughly iOS 10. Sometimes, it really garbles my sentence. Sometimes, it replaces multiple words at a time and I'm positively surprised that it got those right.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-23, 08:44

It seems like auto correct has gotten a lot worse since iOS14 came out. Possibly because it’s using the neural engine to guess what you want, rather than just providing the word with the closest spelling like it used to? That’s just how it seems anyway.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-23, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It's been very hit-and-miss for me since roughly iOS 10. Sometimes, it really garbles my sentence. Sometimes, it replaces multiple words at a time and I'm positively surprised that it got those right.
Yep, that’s about the time it seemed to go a little sideways. I think you once explained it to me that they changed some under-the-hood/behind-the-scenes stuff that altered how it all worked, but that accuracy suffered. And I remember responding with something like “then why bother? The whole point of something like auto-correct is accuracy…above speed and all else.”

Auto-correct has no value if all it’s doing is making me sound like a drunken, sub-literate lunatic. I can do all that on my own, without any help”, thankyouverymuch.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 08:48

Mrs T and I have a game about using Siri to dictate messages for ourselves WITHOUT proofing what she sends. It is quite comical most of the time. Right up there with the autocorrect.

So I took a few minutes to look over DND and it didn't bring over my settings. I had to add the group to each various Focus setting. It defaults to "Favorites" but I don't even want them to wake me up. There are plenty of people who are a favorite that 2AM is just too late to hear from them. So I created a separate group named "DND" and allow that group. Works great.

Anyway, still going to take a little bit of time to work through this and get it where I want it but it does seem less daunting than it did over the last few days. Maybe my Americano is kicking in now.

chucker

2021-09-23, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It seems like auto correct has gotten a lot worse since iOS14 came out. Possibly because it’s using the neural engine to guess what you want, rather than just providing the word with the closest spelling like it used to? That’s just how it seems anyway.
Yeah, I think it's been using machine learning for a while. More like since about iOS 10, though.

I find that it helps if you just keep typing a few more words; then it tries to fix those. (Which, of course, can also go quite wrong, and then it's extra-confusing. I wish it highlighted that in yellow or something? "Hey, I just changed these. Does that look right?")

Quote:
Yep, that’s about the time it seemed to go a little sideways. I think you once explained it to me that they changed some under-the-hood/behind-the-scenes stuff that altered how it all worked, but that accuracy suffered.
It's more of a speculation, I think. I'm not sure Apple ever confirmed it (maybe they did announce it at some point? I don't think so), but it does seem like they made a significant change years ago where it uses machine learning to do a lot more contextual guesswork.

People seem to have… mixed experienced with it. I know someone who just shut it off altogether, and I can't blame her. Personally(!), it seems to work right… maybe 70% of the time? Often enough that I wouldn't want to turn it off. I don't mean to brush off others' far worse experiences with it, though.

Quote:
Auto-correct has no value if all it’s doing is making me sound like a drunken, sub-literate lunatic. I can manage that all on my own, thank you.

Quote:
So I took a few minutes to look over DND and it didn't bring over my settings.
Ugh.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 08:58

I will say one MASSIVE improvement from my perspective is the synced focus state across devices. I use a Mac (many actually ), an iPad, iPhone (2 of them) and Watch. My phone and Watch would be in workout mode... but my iPad is blowing up with notifications. Now this isn't a problem. Normally it wouldn't be a problem when I'm running because I'm using it on the treadmill.

But if I was using Fitness+ and doing a workout I would get my workout paused because I got a call on Teams or something. Do you think I want a call from work while I'm working out? NEVER. So then I had to remember to change my iPad to DND before starting the workout.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-23, 09:13

While my automatic DND kicks in at 11pm every night, I’m not always asleep or in bed by then. If the phone is sitting beside me, unused, then I expect it to stay quiet and not notify/disturb me with stuff. That’s the whole point.

But I’ll often lie in bed after 11pm and surf, prowl around Apple Music or Podcasts, play a couple of Scrabble matches, etc.

At those moments, I’m obviously awake and using my phone. So any incoming text or email doesn’t bother me then. I’m cool with getting them if I'm actually up and using the phone...notify away! Prior to Monday it did just that, and it was that best-of-both-worlds set-up.

All the new iOS 15 Focus thing did last night was cause me to miss two texts from a total vixen/cutie-pie as I was putzing around in Safari for 15-20 minutes around 11:30. It wasn’t until I quit out of Safari that I saw her two messages, with the second one saying “well, it looks like you’re asleep. Talk to you tomorrow!”

Thanks for nothing, Timmy. I didn’t realize digital cock-blocking was one of iOS 15’s marquee features. I didn't hear that talked about during any keynotes/presentations.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-23 at 09:24.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 09:18

Yeah, I rarely used that feature or didn't realize it. I know I had it enabled before and would like it as an option.

I think this is a case where there was a complete rewrite of the "DND" concept and that one bit failed to make the transition to the new code. I'm with chucker, I see it coming back later in updates.

chucker

2021-09-23, 09:22

Quote:
While my automatic DND kicks in at 11pm every night, I’m not always asleep or in bed by them. If the phone is sitting beside me, unused, then I expect it to stay quiet and not notify/disturb me with stuff. That’s the whole point.

But I’ll often lie in bed after 11pm and surf, prowl around Apple Music or Podcasts, play a couple of Scrabble matches, etc.

At those moments, I’m obviously awake and using my phone. So am incoming text or email doesn’t bother me then. I’m cool with getting them. Prior to Monday, I had that best-of-both-worlds thing.
Yep. I dislike this about iOS 15.

Quote:
All the new iOS 15 Focus thing did last night was cause me to miss two texts from a total vixen/cutie-pie as I was putting around in Safari. It wasn’t until I quit out of Safari that I saw her two messages, with the second one saying “well, it looks like you’re asleep. Talk to you tomorrow!”

Thanks for nothing, Timmy. I didn’t realize digital cock-blocking was one of iOS 15’s marquee features.
[ Tim Cook intensifies ]
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-23, 09:27

Quote:
I think this is a case where there was a complete rewrite of the "DND" concept and that one bit failed to make the transition to the new code. I'm with chucker, I see it coming back later in updates.
I think they'll have to, because these exceptions you can set (by person, app, etc.) don't do the trick. I still don't want friends, even cute ones, busting through at 3am. Once I put the phone down and I'm ready for sleep, then I want it to be quiet. In iOS 14 (and before), it was an option for DND to only do its thing if the phone is asleep (forgot the exact phrasing used in the setting). That one little nice "DND override if phone is in use" is missing, and that seems simple enough for them to bring back in a future point update. I trust they will.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-23, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
[ Tim Cook intensifies ]
I was kinda chuckling about it because, naturally, I texted her back as soon as I saw her messages, and realized that she had gone to sleep (because it had been a good 20 minutes and she'd given up). So the whole thing was like "grrrrr...! Really?"

Now I know, after 11pm if I'm messing about in Safari, Scrabble, etc. I might want to quit out every five or so minutes and check to see if I have any little red circle badging on my Messages app.

Damn pandemic.

I blame everything else on it, so why not.

I do have to say, there seems to be quite a few changes on this go-around. I've spent more time in my iPhone's settings the past three days or so than I probably have in two years combined. I'm just kinda going through every little section and seeing what's what.

I even put the Safari search/URL bar back at the bottom, the new default location, to see if maybe there's a benefit or practical reason to have it there (once I re-train myself to stop going to the top after 15 years). I'll give anything an honest chance if I think it makes sense or there might be a reason for it that hasn't dawned on me yet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-24, 09:12

I hate to wienee out but this URL/search bar at the bottom in the new Safari isn’t solving/improving anything. After 4-5 days I’m about to throw in that towel and go back to what makes sense for me.

I know I’ve got 14 years(!) of habit/muscle memory to overcome…but why? For what benefit/improvement? I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this. And, honestly, I really don’t think I want to.

Does Monterey move it to the bottom of Safari as well? Because if not, I don’t see why I should have things in two different locations based on whether I’m using my Mac or phone. That’ll be an ongoing “oh, that’s right…on my phone, it’s down here” scenario.

I should put my limited brainpower/memory to better use than unlearning 14 years’ worth of stuff.

You all remember Danny Glover’s signature line from Lethal Weapon.
chucker

2021-09-24, 09:31

Quote:
I even put the Safari search/URL bar back at the bottom, the new default location, to see if maybe there's a benefit or practical reason to have it there (once I re-train myself to stop going to the top after 15 years). I'll give anything an honest chance if I think it makes sense or there might be a reason for it that hasn't dawned on me yet.
Quote:
I hate to wienee out but this URL/search bar at the bottom in the new Safari isn’t solving/improving anything. After 4-5 days I’m about to throw in that towel and go back to what makes sense for me.

I know I’ve got 14 years(!) of habit/muscle memory to overcome…but why? For what benefit/improvement? I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this. And, honestly, I really don’t think I want to.

Does Monterey move it to the bottom of Safari as well? Because if not, I don’t see why I should have things in two different locations based on whether I’m using my Mac or phone. That’ll be an ongoing “oh, that’s right…on my phone, it’s down here” scenario.
No, it's not on the bottom on an iPad or Mac.

The iPhone is different because the idea is that you'll at least partially use it one-handed, so anything near the thumb is easier to reach. This was less of an issue when phones were a lot smaller, but, alas.

It's also just nice being able to swipe between tabs, the way you can between apps. It makes more sense if you have a Face ID phone (I'm not sure how Safari behaves if you doesn't; maybe that part is a bit confusing?).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-24, 10:08

I've got the oldest, smallest iPhone available, so it's really of no help to me. But I was thinking about that last night...if I had a larger, modern iPhone (11-13, especially one of the "Max" versions), that URL/search bar at the bottom might indeed be nice to avoid that long stretch. That's when I realized "so this isn't really doing anything for me, big picture, is it? It's just making me suck at Safari, and waste time...".

I'm probably just not the target audience for such a thing, as I can easily reach everywhere on the 4" SE screen with ease and there's just no benefit to me...just confusion (and my thumb going to the wrong place about 700 times a day).

I'm happy they gave people the choice, because everyone's habits, phones, hand sizes, etc. are different. If/when I own a larger iPhone someday, I may revisit it and adapt to it (out of genuine need/desire).

Just seems I've been chasing my tail all week for no reason that I can see/appreciate. I went back an hour ago and I'm already better for it.
chucker

2021-09-24, 10:14

Quote:
I've got the oldest, smallest iPhone available, so it's really of no help to me. But I was thinking about that last night...if I had a larger, modern iPhone (11-13, especially one of the "Max" versions), that URL/search bar at the bottom might indeed be nice to avoid that long stretch. That's when I realized "so this isn't really doing anything for me, big picture, is it?"
Well, I wouldn't say nothing. You do gain the ability to easily swipe between tabs (and create new ones by swiping from the right).

It's definitely a big change that'll require some new muscle memory, and uncharacteristically for Apple, they're making it an option. For now. I wouldn't be shocked if that's gone by iOS 20.