Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

The Black Holes of Death!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Black Holes of Death!!!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
macgeek2004

2005-02-09, 00:10

If you have experienced the Black Holes of Death, on your PowerBook G4, tell me about it.

Can we please not have anybody who hasn't had the black holes of death posting in this thread.

Thanks
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-09, 00:13

Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-09, 00:13

Yea, I have some in the corner of mine. The only thing I'm worried about is them hurting the resale value.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 00:18

Good lord. This again?

Guess what? If you have only people reply here that have had this problem, you're going to get some incredibly skewed results. It's going to make it look like this is a much more widespread problem than it really is. Limiting your exposure solely to any minority of people that are experiencing a problem is never a good idea.

But, hey, if you want to just convince yourself that all PowerBooks are dooooomed to have black spots, be my guest!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RC23

2005-02-09, 00:18

pics????
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC23
pics????
Grip

2005-02-09, 00:51

Brad,
So funny on so many different levels.
RC23

2005-02-09, 00:54

i cant tell if that is photoshopped or a notebook piece of paper with the word black hole written on it...
ITS MIND BOGGALING

drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-09, 01:12

Brad you better be damned careful, I see the green-pronged cable of terror and the rectilinear white doodad of destruction stuck to the side of that Powerbook. If you're not careful the blue-ish, grey-ish cable of ubiquity will sneak in behin- OMG!!!!! It's there!!!!!!

Run!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

//yes, we're being perfect little smartasses
//apologies all around

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 01:26

Well, I suppose I've learned my lesson.

The rest of my beautiful PowerBook crossed the schwarzschild radius just moments ago and vanished into the ether! Now, all I have left to remember it by is this gravitational distortion that's scrawling across the wall.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-02-09, 02:48

Brad, I think this thread should become a complete interstellar adventure story for you PB... Hmmm I wonder where the black hole sent your PB?

Oh, and I don't even know what the black hole problem is!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
RC23

2005-02-09, 05:25

that black hole looks like a perfect tear drop... did u cut it that way or what?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-09, 05:28

I've got a tip for all you black hole people.

Wash your hands from time to time and wipe down your machine with a very small soft damp chamois from time to time.

My G4 17" is as old as they can possibly be and I use it every day, and I have not got one blemish on it.

I don't use any kind of cleaner for it.
I use a small damp chamois (yes - damp - water!) for both the case and the screen.
AND I WASH MY HANDS AT LEAST ONCE A DAY!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004
If you have experienced the Black Holes of Death, on your PowerBook G4, tell me about it.

Can we please not have anybody who hasn't had the black holes of death posting in this thread.

Thanks
You raised this question before. Didn't you settle on an iBook?
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 09:08

He he!!! Busted!
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-09, 09:14

81 posts and he's started 23 threads.
editerik

2005-02-09, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004

Thanks
Sorry to have to ask, but what are Black Holes of Death?

Erik
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by editerik
Sorry to have to ask, but what are Black Holes of Death?

Erik
Sweaty people with corrosive sweat (most is) who don't practice personal hygiene (like washing hands occasionally) and don't (occasionally) clean the places on their Aluminium PowerBooks where their skin makes contact get pitting in the anodized coating.

They eventually spread if the lasy slobs don't change their habits and / or learn to keep the machine clean.

Some peope say it is a thin coating.
I still believe it comes down to personal hygiene!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
pearle

2005-02-09, 10:51

Anyone tried this?

Aluma Guard

I just received my first Mac (17" PB) and stumbled upon this thread. Now I'm a bit paranoid
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-09, 10:56

Oh great, here I am being all smartass and it turns out that I'm one of the ones who is going to melt through his new powerbook. My body DEVOURS precious metals...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-09, 11:07

you ever look at bronze statues in museums?
noses boobs and penis's are very shiny because of the oils in human hands reacting to the bronze, and our inability to keep our hands off the naughty bits. perhaps apple should make a copper or bronze powerbook, then it would get real shiny, and you could flip it over and do your eggs.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
noses boobs and penis's are very shiny because of the oils in human hands reacting to the bronze, and our inability to keep our hands off the naughty bits. perhaps apple should make a copper or bronze powerbook, then it would get real shiny, and you could flip it over and do your eggs.
Ok who here is going to admit first that they ahve touched a penis on a statue!!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-09, 11:41

I find that I use my powerbook with my right hand pretty much fully anchored in one efficient position, unless I'm typing of course. But essentially, my thumb is on the click my palm is in the corner, the rest of my fingers pivot from the arrow keys+command to the trackpad. this way I can browse webpaces(up and down arrows+command-back and forward)

I dunno, it works well for me. My hygiene is decent, but my palm still spends an inordinate amount of time locked in position, sweat accumulates. Ah well. Not really anything I can do about it now, but prevent it from getting worse.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-02-09, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Ok who here is going to admit first that they ahve touched a penis on a statue!!
Me, I fondled a bronze lion.

I have a slight case of Powerbook leprosy, I wash my hands and clean my powerbook regularly. I think it all comes down to body chemistry. For instance, I'm also dissolving the metallic enamel on my glasses and I'm also capable of dissipating the tarnish on silver jewelry. Does this count as some sort of superpower?

The future is tomorrow!
ironlung

2005-02-09, 11:48

Quote:
very amusing..especially since i have a really bad cold and cant afford to laugh
editerik

2005-02-09, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Sweaty people with corrosive sweat (most is) who don't practice personal hygiene (like washing hands occasionally) and don't (occasionally) clean the places on their Aluminium PowerBooks where their skin makes contact get pitting in the anodized coating.

They eventually spread if the lasy slobs don't change their habits and / or learn to keep the machine clean.

Some peope say it is a thin coating.
I still believe it comes down to personal hygiene!!

Thanks. I have minor OCD so I will be washing my hands alot.

E
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC23
that black hole looks like a perfect tear drop... did u cut it that way or what?
That's not the black hole.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
Me, I fondled a bronze lion.

I have a slight case of Powerbook leprosy, I wash my hands and clean my powerbook regularly. I think it all comes down to body chemistry. For instance, I'm also dissolving the metallic enamel on my glasses and I'm also capable of dissipating the tarnish on silver jewelry. Does this count as some sort of superpower?
If you didn't fondle bronze lions I might have thought so... But I think that kind of pass-time tends to count you out from any kind of political office, or even the status of a deity. Boy band star p'raps!

Now, if you slept with lot's of young greek boys you might become a mighty ruler of Persia and Asia.. but your mum would have to have very very wierd collagen implants in her lips... Or an overdose of botox and have publicly announced that she drunk the blood of her ex-husband!

Can I get a prize for the most off topic post?!!?
I think Alexander and Ollie Stone have warped my fragile little mind!
:smokey:

Oops, another Bacardi and grass moment...
I am off to bed..

macgeek2004

2005-02-09, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
You raised this question before. Didn't you settle on an iBook?

Yes I did settle on an iBook, but I'm just curious about the black holes of death, regardless.

Jeeeees!!!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-09, 14:21

Quote:
I don't know whether to thank you for drawing my attention to some fundamental truth of Man's Condition or berate you for making me spend the rest of the evening with the picture of a shiny marble dick in my mind's eye. Probably the latter.

Anyway - Black Holes of Death (for those of you with sweaty palms) are less important than the Blue Screen of Life.