Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Next generation Mac's can be G6?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Next generation Mac's can be G6?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Studio Rambo

2005-06-11, 20:46

It seems some of the anxiety towards the Intel shift is generated by the perception that Macs will lose some of their their personality or points of differentiation, and become more like a clone PC with an intel inside sticker on the box. I can understand this. I would hate to see the generic bootup sequence from a brandless Frankenbox PC find its way onto a Mac, but I feel the chance of this happening is next to zero. I don't quite understand the difference between Apple's open firmware and the PC BIOS from a perspective of their functionality or limitations, but if Apple transitions to using a BIOS, they will almost certainly modify and customise it to preserve that Apple Mac feel we enjoy today. Hell even the much maligned Dell PC's have a neat bootup sequence minus any of the old memory test counter stuff etc. Additionally, I would not like to see a iBook or Powerbook Pentium M under the screen of my next notebook, so I see no reason why Apple cannot brand their computers with the next generation intel CPU's as G6's. "G" stands for generation right? If Apple get these little things right, they will go a long way towards ensuring the Macintel is a winner.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-11, 20:58

intel inside sticker on a mac? lol That is funny...and no, I don't see a G6 happenign till G5 Powerbooks happen..or at lease get a new Powerbook X name.

Don't need to confuse the people about G6 being more powerful then G5...
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-06-11, 21:11

In can allready envision the idea behind the ads:

Intel G6 ->Intelligent sex?
Studio Rambo

2005-06-11, 22:24

Well there can't be a G5 Powerbook, unless it's an IBM chip, which there won't. Having a G5 branded Powerbook with intel chip - that's confusing. I think all first generation intel powered Mac's should be called G6. I don't see a problem with a 'G6' Powerbook while the current G5 IBM Powermac is still for sale, as that is what happens during transition periods. There probably won't be a G5 Powerbook ever, I'm assuming that the first Intel mobile chip to reach Apple's notebook lines will be more powerful than the single core, single processor IBM PowerPC 970FX like exists in the iMac.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-12, 04:22

The "G" naming convention started with the G3, but the previous processors were referred to (by some; I don't know if they were internal code names or just nicknames) as the G1 and the G2. So far, the G series has only covered PPC processors made for Apple computers by the Apple-IBM-Motorola partnership (or AIM for short). The G1 is the PPC 601, the G2 is the PPC 603/604, the G3 is the PPC 750, the G4 is the PPC 7400/7450, and the G5 is the PPC 970. I have a feeling Apple may abandon the naming convention in the next couple years since it's too restrictive. Intel is discovering this as well... it's hard to name each new processor sequentially when the newest processors are not necessarily the fastest or newest. Intel's Pentium M is based on the Pentium III and doesn't have nearly the clock speed of the Pentium 4, but it's newer. They had to call it the Pentium M, because calling it a Pentium III would imply that it's a step back from Pentium 4 notebooks, while calling it the Pentium 5 would imply that it's "better" than the Pentium 4 (which it is, but it's intended for laptops, not desktops).

What about Apple? If the PowerBooks get a Pentium M, will they call that the G6, resulting in G6 PowerBooks being sold alongside G5 PowerMacs? That won't work. Apple may leave the naming to Intel and not try to assign names themselves. It seems to work okay for the other companies that use Intel CPUs. Maybe their general-issue marketing will simply say "X GHz Intel processor" and you'll have to look a little closer to see exactly which one it is.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-06-12, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
The "G" naming convention started with the G3, but the previous processors were referred to (by some; I don't know if they were internal code names or just nicknames) as the G1 and the G2.
Motorola uses the "G" nomenclature on their PowerPC roadmaps. They just don't use it in marketing. IBM, on the other hand, don't use it at all, and Apple *only* use it in marketing.

(edit) Here's a mirror of a 1999 Motorola roadmap showing G1 through G6: http://www.soisolutions.com/roadmap.pdf

Quote:
What about Apple? If the PowerBooks get a Pentium M, will they call that the G6, resulting in G6 PowerBooks being sold alongside G5 PowerMacs? That won't work. Apple may leave the naming to Intel and not try to assign names themselves. It seems to work okay for the other companies that use Intel CPUs. Maybe their general-issue marketing will simply say "X GHz Intel processor" and you'll have to look a little closer to see exactly which one it is.
They might go back to their previous system with four-digit numbers, although I'd rather they use less digits. AMD and (based on the idea) Intel now use three-digit numbers to specify processor model and speed, e.g. Opteron 246, where the "2" signifies 2 processors and the other two digits refer to speed and revision of the model (this works differently now that the Opteron is multi-core).

With Apple, I could see a similar system -- the first digit signifies screen size (12, 15, 17 inches), and the second and third refer to the revision and specs, e.g. the "501" ( ) would be the first 15-inch Intel-based PowerBook, and the 511 would be a slightly enhanced version.

Last edited by chucker : 2005-06-12 at 07:58.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-12, 12:41

No, I'm only referring to the name of their processors. Apple has been leaving the processor names out of their model names for a long time now. Well, kind of. They still include the processor name for Macs that have undergone a change in CPU (PowerMac, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, but not the mini and eMac). But they may as well be leaving them out. I mean, half the time you're talking about a PowerBook G4, you're simply saying "PowerBook," perhaps adding the CPU speed or revision number as an indicator of which model you have.

Apple's not going to return to putting numbers on their computers. That went away pretty quickly once Steve Jobs came back to Apple... starting with the PowerMac G3, no PowerMac has carried its model number in its name. Same goes for the PowerBook G3.

I'm guessing Apple will just refer to the processors they use in the Intel Macs as whatever Intel calls them. The developer machines use a Pentium 4 660 (3.6 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, Prescott core). I bet Apple will just use those.
Dave Hagan

2005-06-12, 12:49

I bet it will go like this:

Power Mac Pentium D

PowerBook Pentium M

Xserve Xeon

etc.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-12, 14:35

Who says that just because it's a pentium processor, it has to be called "pentium"? Apple has renamed stuff used in wintel boxes in the past, just to "think different", so to speak.

802.11b -> Airport

IEEE 1394 -> FireWire (yes, Apple did coin the term)

DVD burner -> SuperDrive

motherboard -> logic board

mp3 player -> iPod (even though there's no comparison...)

pentium -> G6? PentiPC?

You ask me for a hamburger.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-12, 14:36

Another cool thing...

try writing "G6 by hand". You can use the same loopy-curvy line to mean "G" or "6".
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-12, 16:07

No, I think they'll just sell them as "PowerMacs" and "PowerBooks" and so on.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-06-12, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan

Power Mac Pentium D

PowerBook Pentium M

Xserve Xeon

etc.
I bet it won't :P
ASZ993

2005-06-12, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan

Power Mac Pentium D

PowerBook Pentium M

Xserve Xeon

etc.
More like this:

PowerMac D

PowerBook M

Xserve X
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-06-12, 18:21

Maybe they could (forcefuly) let the hardware bumps coincide with the software updates

PowerMac X.5.0 , and after about 8 months: PowerMac X.5.4
etc...

edit..
They would of course have to make it look a little better, e.g.:

PowerMac X.5 -4
nassau

2005-06-12, 18:51

maybe apple will release all the following at the same time:

Mac OS X1
Powerbook X1

where OS X1 is "eleven", the intel version, and Powerbook X1 is the new "G5". the next generation could be X2 etc....

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-12, 22:23

Apple's computer line, circa 2007:

Desktops: Mac mini - Mac Cube/Power Mac Cube* - Power Mac
Notebooks: (iBook mini?**) - iBook - Powerbook M - Powerbook
All-In-Ones: eMac - iMac

*I think it's such a given, I'm not even putting paranthenses around it. I don't know what Apple will name it - if they want to position it as a more powerful consumer-oriented desktop, they'll name it the Mac Cube to capture the success of the Mac mini. If they want to capture the professional image of the Power Mac, they'll name it the Power Mac Cube (similair to how I'm predicting they'll name the prosumer notebook the "Powerbook M" - "M" and "Cube" serve as the prosumer equivalent of "mini.").

**I'm not as sure on this one. An iBook mini seems to be the next logical step for the "mini" line, and there is room for a 10" Apple "sub-notebook," but such a device would be primarily aimed at high schoolers and college students, who may want a bigger screen (although, who knows - small is in with the latest electonics, and the young adult market ate up the iPod mini, despite it not being as "practical" as the big iPod). I'm calling it the "iBook mini," because "Book mini" doesn't sound good.

Last edited by Robo : 2005-06-12 at 22:28.
asian_boy5

Send a message via MSN to asian_boy5  
2005-06-13, 01:10

or maybe they will use fancy code names for each of there models, catch phrases are way easier to remember and to market, then some numbers, maybe something along the lines of using say the zodiac signs as a naming scheme, it could go like so

PowerBook Aries
PowerMac Virgo

they were big on codenames back then were they not, i.e imac special edition, firewire, powerbook pismo, wallstreet, PowerMac sawtooth, maybe they would just use the development name in the full name,

just a thought, Apple is pretty good at marketing, its all about image
powerequivalent

2005-06-13, 05:45

hm, would it be a G6 aka PPC98X?? And then what would the X86 be called, I call it G5 +. Maybe that would not be so bad. Then there are a chans of a G5 a G5+ and a G6
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2005-06-13, 07:29

I'm voting they will just call it a Pentium..
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-13, 08:13

Wow, I love all the intelligent speculation by the noobs! Way to go guys!

:smokey::smokey:
NeilyB 2.0

2005-06-13, 08:52

i think the name Pentium is too associated with Windows in the marketplace. Apple wiil either rename the chip or just exclude the chip's name from its marketing, thus maximizing differentiation of Macs from PCs in the minds of consumers.

neilyb
nassau

2005-06-13, 11:04

maybe they'll just call it G5... so that could mean there might still be a chance of a G5 powerbook!!!!! OMG!!!!! when is it coming out!??!?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Wow, I love all the intelligent speculation by the noobs! Way to go guys!

:smokey::smokey:
stfu noob!!!!! :smokey:
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2005-06-13, 14:00

I think too much assumption is being placed on Apple even retaining the names PowerMac and PowerBook. Perhaps, although unlikely, Apple will rename both systems altogether.

How about "PowerNote" or "SubNote G6" or something.

And why not call the PowerMac something like the "Apple Neptune" or the "Macintosh PowerCat"

Remember, this is Apple and Steve has suddenly felt the need to "Think Different"

I will now accept your murderous responses!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-13, 14:06

Aw, to heck with it.

Roll out Macintosh.

Roll in Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Fuji, and Jonagold.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2005-06-13, 14:53

How about PentiMax . . . with wings! :smokey:
pv2b

2005-06-16, 15:49

I'm thinking P + digit or letter. So... PowerMac P4 for a Pentium 4, Powerbook PM with a Pentium M in it, etc etc.

It's short, sweet, and simple, and as such, marketable. And it's not that big of a change from the current nomenclature.

Though, a problem would be how they'd convince everybody that a P4 is better than a G5, etc.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
How about PentiMax . . . with wings! :smokey:
That's so wrong it's not even funny.

You know someone would sue because they bought it thinking it was a feminine hygiene product and they got a computer

I'm gonna go with PowerBook, PowerMac, eMac (if it survives the switch), MacMini, iBook, iMac, and product(s) to be named later.

Yes, those are the same names used now, yes, I do think they will just stay the same. Brand recognition is a powerful thing. You don't see car companies changing the names of their "all new" cars or trucks. A Honda Accord is one of the most recognized cars on the road, in the decades since it has been out in the USA it has undergone many a revision.

Honda doesn't change the Accord name because people know it, they recognize it, they respect it. Although none of the parts from the original Accord are in the 2005 Accord, it's still called a Honda Accord.

You don't rename your dog every time you get him groomed.

You don't give your house a new address every time it's repainted.

You get the idea...

The chip inside the PowerBook might be changing, but it's still a PowerBook. The brand name is powerful, and I think Apple would be stupid to not stick with it.

Come waste your time with me
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv2b
I'm thinking P + digit or letter. So... PowerMac P4 for a Pentium 4, Powerbook PM with a Pentium M in it, etc etc.

It's short, sweet, and simple, and as such, marketable. And it's not that big of a change from the current nomenclature.

Though, a problem would be how they'd convince everybody that a P4 is better than a G5, etc.
There is no amount of convincing that can be done, because it's simply not true. Yes, the prototype Mactels have P4s in them but I'd be shocked and appalled if any of the production Mactels use a P4. There's no reason for that, Apple is looking to take a step foreword in terms of performance, not a ginormous running leap backward.

G4 to Pentium M = step foreword

G5 to Pentium 4 = huge ginormous running leap backward.

Come waste your time with me
spyderjump

2005-06-16, 16:20

We are talking about branding here...

And in this case while it may be simple to keep the G nomenclature... what is needed is differentiation (which is what branding is all about). So it will most definitely not be part of the G series and most likely will not have pentium in the name. What it will be only Apple marketing knows... but some of the guesses here are fun... my take would be something similar to the feline names for OS X versions. They may use some other animal/species. Perhaps birds for the laptops and bears for the desktops. Ok maybe not those, but something else from the animal kingdom.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 16:26

Brand recognition people...brand recognition!