User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 49 of 68 First Previous 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53  Next Last Thread Tools
addabox
Veteran Member

2019-08-25, 23:49

Yeah that bus needs to get made. I think at this point what they're showing is pretty close to what they'll ship, and given the big flat floor I expect it will pack some serious range. If they can use their economics of scale to get the prices within reason ($35,000 for the bus? I think I read that they said they could build the hatch for golf money?) then they may usher in a tipping point. Things are going to get very interesting over the next couple of years.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
¡Damned!

2019-08-26, 07:53

Really hoping for a pop-top option (though I don't think it will happen). I miss my old '78 Westfalia every single day. Camping was so effortless and cozy.

Speaking of, Rivian put out an interesting/weird thing recently with their pickup-truck: a camper version with slide-out kitchen. It's probably ludicrously expensive for an accessory, but I love the whole modular concept of being able to swap out doodads like that.

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-26, 09:47

Have you seen the TJ Cruiser concept? I love the combination of a smallish size with a boxy shape and a big flat load floor.
¡Damned!

2019-08-26, 10:44

No I hadn't – the front end reminds me of a VW Safari (Thing), which I love. I'm really drawn to the boxy, no-nonsense utilitarian look like that.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-10-12, 22:10

Time to say goodbye to my 2010 Honda Fit and hello to my 2021 Subaru Crosstrek.

Subaru finally replaced the Crosstrek's hamster wheel with a proper engine. 182hp isn't going to win any races but it's enough that I won't get passed by semitrucks climbing up 70 anymore.

I went for the nearly-fully-loaded top trim. Basically everything except the sunroof and nav. Black leather interior with orange accent stitching—I'm a sucker for orange.

I've got Monday off next week, gonna head into the mountains for a long weekend, maybe take it for a spin offroad.

My Fit still has tons of life left in it, I *just* hit 50k miles last week, but I wanted something with just a *little* more power, a nice interior and a little offroad capability. Not looking for any kind of rock crawler but I think I've pushed my luck as far as I can when it comes to taking my Fit down roads I shouldn't.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-12, 23:43

Had a cross trek a few years ago. Loved it. It’s gotten better since.

I wish Subaru had embraced EVs. They are going to suffer significantly in 5-7 years.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-13, 10:51

Subaru and Toyota share a lot of patents, engineering, and design tech, so they may not be as far behind as you might think. Then again, they may not care.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-13, 10:55

Is a plug-in hybrid a vehicle that has a gas motor to drive or generate electricity where the vehicle can run only on electricity if it gets plugged in and charged?

This seems like a great way to extend milage if you can run a generator on gas for times when electricity is hard. I've been watching Long Way Up and seeing those guys struggle to charge motorcycles is what really got me thinking about that. Sure an all electric car is great if you have a charger at home and don't go far from there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-10-13, 11:44

Subaru released a plug-in hybrid variant of the Crosstrek last year but oddly has not released a 2021 update. They also never sold it in Colorado for some reason.

Plus the place I rent doesn't have any way for me to plug it in anyways.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-13, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Is a plug-in hybrid a vehicle that has a gas motor to drive or generate electricity where the vehicle can run only on electricity if it gets plugged in and charged?

This seems like a great way to extend milage if you can run a generator on gas for times when electricity is hard. I've been watching Long Way Up and seeing those guys struggle to charge motorcycles is what really got me thinking about that. Sure an all electric car is great if you have a charger at home and don't go far from there.
We’re not talking about remote parts of central and South America. I’ve driven 33,000 miles in an electric vehicle so far and spend nearly every weekend driving through the mountains and camping, even towing a camp trailer.

Subaru had a hybrid of the cross trek a few years ago as well, it was neon green and it was a fake hybrid, basically improved MPG by 5-10%.

Toyota and Subaru have been riding their success of the 2000s for several years now and going for short term gains. Love Subaru, still own an outback, but they are seemingly way behind on the EV transition, even more so than every other manufacturer.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-10-13, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
We’re not talking about remote parts of central and South America. I’ve driven 33,000 miles in an electric vehicle so far and spend nearly every weekend driving through the mountains and camping, even towing a camp trailer.

Subaru had a hybrid of the cross trek a few years ago as well, it was neon green and it was a fake hybrid, basically improved MPG by 5-10%.

Toyota and Subaru have been riding their success of the 2000s for several years now and going for short term gains. Love Subaru, still own an outback, but they are seemingly way behind on the EV transition, even more so than every other manufacturer.

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/crosstrek/hybrid.html

It comes in blue and gets 90MPG.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-13, 13:08

You know, that isn't the kind of hybrid I would want. I want an electric car with a gasoline generator. It shouldn't power the wheels at all. I'm guessing that isn't an option though. Maybe the generator would have to be too large to actually power the drive train.

Ryan, I have to say that looks like a cool car for you though. Reading your other threads about getting out there in the real world, this is a great vehicle to do that and drive around town too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-10-15, 10:07

Quote:
Ryan, I have to say that looks like a cool car for you though. Reading your other threads about getting out there in the real world, this is a great vehicle to do that and drive around town too.
Thanks! I've got Monday off so I'm gonna take it up into the mountains for a long weekend and see how it does on some off-road trails.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-15, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

for "up to 17 miles"......

I was referring to the 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid anyway.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-10-17, 17:02

I have Monday off so I'm up in Breckenridge for a long weekend of photography and taking this new car up some mountain roads. Took it up Boreas Pass over the continental divide this morning then out to McCullough Gulch south of Breck—the first was an easy road, the second required 4wd/clearance. Very excited about the possibilities this car opens up for me.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-18, 23:59

Quote:
I have Monday off so I'm up in Breckenridge for a long weekend of photography and taking this new car up some mountain roads. Took it up Boreas Pass over the continental divide this morning then out to McCullough Gulch south of Breck—the first was an easy road, the second required 4wd/clearance. Very excited about the possibilities this car opens up for me.

Nice shot. I keep meaning to drive Boreas Pass... just drove past the turn off on 285 again for it yesterday when I did a day trip to Crested Butte for a day from Denver.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-10-19, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Nice shot. I keep meaning to drive Boreas Pass... just drove past the turn off on 285 again for it yesterday when I did a day trip to Crested Butte for a day from Denver.
It would've been better two weeks ago during the fall colors.

I wish autumn in Colorado lasted longer than 72 hours.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-19, 01:32

Quote:
It would've been better two weeks ago during the fall colors.

I wish autumn in Colorado lasted longer than 72 hours.
ha, it can definitely be impacted by the freak wind and snow storms that are common but I feel like this fall was about as long as ever.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-10-19, 18:38

Quote:
You know, that isn't the kind of hybrid I would want. I want an electric car with a gasoline generator. It shouldn't power the wheels at all. I'm guessing that isn't an option though. Maybe the generator would have to be too large to actually power the drive train.
Turt, you're looking for a serial hybrid. A parallel hybrid has the gasoline engine and the electric motor both drive the wheels, and IMO they're a horribly over-engineered solution looking for a problem. Problem being "how do we keep our ICE engineers employed?".

A flat out electric vehicle with a cogenerator is a serial hybrid. Generator charges battery, battery drives car. Simpler. Also, because you can have the ICE run at a fixed RPM optimized for its efficiency and longevity, it ends up being vastly simplified, and more robust. The ICE never drives the car, so it doesn't have to have a lot of oomph, it just has to create juice, constantly, regardless of what the EV is doing, until the battery is full. If you're draining the battery faster than it can charge *who cares*? It's extending your range as you go. If it's charging faster than you're using, yay, you're getting towards 100%. There's no downside.

Dream setup:

An EV with a drop-in/removable cogenerator package. Small motor, fuel tank, in one more or less sealed unit that can dropped into place (electrical connections, cooling, and air/exhaust vents mate up on insertion), or removed to save weight and gain cargo space. Make it under 200#, packaged with proper handles, and it's liftable by two adults. Open the frunk, slide it in, and voila. Range extension for long trips. Running around town and need more groceries space, or just want your car to use less juice? Open frunk, pull it out. A rotary engine is actually well suited for this application - fixed RPM, simple design.

Sell the base car for less, cogenerator as an add-on for folks who want it.
Quagmire
meh

2020-10-19, 19:00

Quote:
The Chevy Volt was the vehicle for you before GM killed it last year......

It would have a 50 mile electric only range and then once that was used up, a gas generator would turn on to operate in the serial hybrid config kick described above for another 300 miles or so with its 9 gallons gas tank. So if you never drove more than 50 miles a day, you could never need the gas generator as you would be plugging back in every day. But have it in case you want to do a road trip.

I am always surprised GM never made a crossover with the Volt's technology, but guess they decided to go straight to the Bolt and chose against serial hybrids.

giggity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-20, 10:07

Thanks for the explanation on this. I don't get why it isn't a more prevalent option. It just makes more sense if you want gas as a backup for a plugin electric car.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-20, 12:40

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation on this. I don't get why it isn't a more prevalent option. It just makes more sense if you want gas as a backup for a plugin electric car.
Because the use cases for that are diminishing rapidly. With ranges over 300 miles, and high speed charging network rapidly expanding, it's not worth it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-20, 12:53

You know, I used to think like that when I lived in Virginia Beach. Now that I'm in the sticks I have to disagree with you. Sure we aren't going to be mass market just based on population density, but I can assure you there is a need for this kind of option. I'm guessing the bean counters will never let it happen though.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-20, 14:01

Quote:
You know, I used to think like that when I lived in Virginia Beach. Now that I'm in the sticks I have to disagree with you. Sure we aren't going to be mass market just based on population density, but I can assure you there is a need for this kind of option. I'm guessing the bean counters will never let it happen though.
I think you would be surprised. While I dont live in the sticks, I live in the mountain west with vast distances between cities and many significantly rural areas. It's really not an issue. And even more so, you dont really pump gas at the garage of your rural home, but you can easily charge, and wake up every morning with a "full tank".
tomoe
Veteran Member

2020-10-21, 00:44

Quote:

Nice! My wife and I recently also joined the car club--first car I've had since August 2000! We considered getting a Subaru too, but ended up getting a RAV4, which coincidentally has a blue color similar to yours. We've been scheming on a month-ish long road trip because we're both doing remote work, but haven't finalized where. Was thinking _maybe_ somewhere near Zion National Park.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-21, 11:52

GMC Hummer EV.

Now that's an off-road truck! None of that stupid Tesla wedge nonsense!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-10-21, 14:43

You’d run out of batteries before you made it off road.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-21, 14:44

350+ mile range. 200Kw batter. Which is a whole pile of holy cow!

Still not sold on these things for any kind of off-road/trailer-pulling use, but it at least looks like a truck!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-10-21, 14:48

As long as it’s not driven by the dumb guys that hang metal genitals off the tow hitch (like the gas version), I guess it’s okay.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-21, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
GMC Hummer EV.

Now that's an off-road truck! None of that stupid Tesla wedge nonsense!
to each their own. That looks hideous.