User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook Pro / PowerBook internal speakers

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro / PowerBook internal speakers
gdraynal

2006-03-15, 14:06

The internal speakers on my MacBook pro already seem to be shot at certian frequencies, mudling the sound. I think this was caused by the alert sounding at full volume rather than specific use such as iTunes playback.

Can these speakers be replaced, and more specifically, upgraded with higher fidelity alternatives?

Of course I will look into this myself but any pertinent experience or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-03-15, 14:16

Why would you want to upgrade them to high fidelity speakers? The audio source will not be able to drive them properly, ie. to their full potential.

If you are looking for a high fidelity audio source I recommend getting yourself a pair of headphones, and an amp. Although the amp isn't really necessary.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
gdraynal

2006-03-15, 14:34

Thanks for the reply.

Following your suggestion, if the audio source can drive higher fidelity speakers (not necessarily hi-fi, and whatever that entails) in headphones without an amp, why not simply internal speakers?

Regardless of that, I'm not interested in headphones, or even necessarily high fidelity.

I'm interested in replacing the current speakers with an equivalent or better.

Feasible?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-03-15, 16:35

I suppose it is possible. Speakers are pretty easy to replace physically, but you have to research alternatives. There is no Speaker replacement kit. Match size, impedance, and watts (or a little more if you want) and make sure they are magnetically shielded.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-03-15, 17:05

The installed speakers might just be custom built for Apple, which would make it harder to find something that would physically fit.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-03-15, 17:08

I find my MBP speakers satisfying for listening. I'm gonna have to go with what everyone else says though- If you want good sound, just get something specifically built for sound, i.e., speakers.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-15, 19:46

If you're speakers are actually "shot", there's something else wrong with your computer. Contrary to popular belief, it is very difficult to damage speakers by applying too much power, and in the case of a closed system like the MBP, completely impossible.

Apple will repair or replace the notebook under warranty for free. I would strongly advise against trying to replace them yourself.
gdraynal

2006-03-15, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
I in the case of a closed system like the MBP, completely impossible.
I wish it were completely impossible, but it unfortunately has occurred. Speakers still work acceptably but there is definite mudling in certain sustained frequency ranges compared to playback through external speakers or headphones. You'll simply have to trust my ears.

Again, its my speculation that an alert at full volume has caused this, as it is more likely that speaker damage is caused by an isolated high volume signal than continuous playback at high volume.

As several have suggested, this would be a moot point if there were satisfactory wireless headphone and speaker solutions, but I'm not taken with any current options.

Airport express and the HK Soundstick IIs maybe?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-15, 23:59

What dorian is saying is that the power just isn't there to blow them out. They may, in fact, sound blown out, but it's likely a symptom of another problem - one that Apple should fix under warranty.
gdraynal

2006-03-16, 00:16

I understand that logic, and would be surprised if Apple would put in speakers that couldn't handle the maximum output.

But what other underlying problem(s) could cause what I'm hearing? The distortion is particularly prevalent with instrumental piano music and sustain.

Given MBP availability and my dependence on this computer, I'm not particularly eager to go the warranty route yet, but testing various songs is revealing how prevalent this problem is.

Thanks again for your help.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-16, 00:23

There's a possibility that a hardware problem caused the speakers to go out. In either case, it's something that Apple should fix for you.
peter_l

2006-03-16, 02:43

No offense, but why would you bother listening to any music through laptop speakers anyway (or any stock computer speakers for that matter)? Go get some good headphones...

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...nes_index&ck=0

Both of those are GREAT (although I'd go with the Etymotic pair myself...).
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-03-16, 05:43

if you have put DC Offset through the speakers it's entirely possible to burn out your speakers..... if anyone wants to try, i know i have a DC Offset wave file around here somewhere that i can send them

as far as headphones go, an amp may not be necessary, but it is a significant improvement, especially for most brands of headphones... sennheisers absolutely reuire them to sound good... grados are lower impedance so it isn't necessary, but it still helps with low bass response