Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Switching Web Hosts...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Switching Web Hosts...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-01-22, 16:42

I've talked with @JustinCox a little bit on Twitter, but I just want to get all the details hammered out before I dive into it.

Right now I'm on GoDaddy for my domain name, website hosting, and email. I want to switch everything to a new company, and I think I've decided on DreamHost. DreamHost actually tweeted me a link about transferring hosts. Transferring the domain name seems easy enough. Do I have to do anything special for email or will all my emails transfer over or be the same and I just have to change settings in Mail? For the website, do I just go into CyberDuck and copy all the files via FTP and then reupload them to DreamHost?

I want to make this as stressless as possible.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2016-01-22 at 16:53.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-01-22, 17:16

Transferring the domain name seems easy and straight forward, from what I'm reading.

For email, it seems like I should switch my email setup on Mail to POP and it will download all the emails to my MBP. Then when I have everything switched over and set up, I will set Mail back up for IMAP with DreamHost and drag the folder with the saved backup emails into it and it will transfer them all over. Does that sound correct?

As far as the website, I'm not 100% sure on this. I just went on CyberDuck and downloaded all the files to a folder on my desktop. I think I would just upload it to DreamHost then?

@yontsey
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-01-22, 18:00

Yes. If you hit any snags you can drop me a line and I can try to give you a hand. I don't know that I'd want to try messing with POP/IMAP settings vs. just doing an export of your emails. (or make a backup of your ~/Library/Mail folders) Don't forget the attachments folder to go with it.

I've done the export/import process a number of times without a hitch on massive accounts.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-01-22, 18:10

Sounds like you've already made your decision, but I've been using MacHighway for a million years and highly recommend them, especially if you're a Mac user. I have hosted the same domain/email with them for almost 15 years and love them. Back when they were Itsamac, I used their services for my little web design company and hosted about ten client sites there over the early years (18 years ago).

They're out of Denver; friendly, reliable, awesome. All that stuff.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-23, 13:40

I used to be a systems admin for a hosting company so I'd be happy to give you tips and assistance with the process.

I can't say much about Dreamhost other than I seem to recall AN used to be there. Other than that a bunch of my customers were Dreamhost customers before having me move them to the company I worked for.

What kind of hosting are you looking for? Shared hosting just for email? VPS/Dedicated? How many email accounts and how much email is stored on the server for each of those accounts?

Anyway, I'll be happy to make sure you have a good fit with what ever hosting you move to. I can say this, GoDaddy and Dreamhost are lowest on my "who to host with" totem pole. Who is high depends on the needs and your desire to be hands on or pay the host to do everything.

For the actual migration of your data you may need databases that go along with the site. Then you will need to get those databases as well as modify the database for the new file paths depending on the site and type of database. The files alone work if it's a straight HTML/PHP site with no database.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2016-01-23 at 14:04.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-01-24, 13:01

I am unbelievably grateful for you guys offering to help me out. Means a lot of me and why I love this forum.

I was on the Apple Community page and have seen many people having the same issue. It seems like it started with 10.11.2 and Apple and GoDaddy are going back and forth saying the issue isn't with them. At this point, I might try and wait it out and see if something get's fixed. I really really really don't want to go through moving everything. It's very frustrating but I think that would be frustrating too. In the short term, it's a lose-lose.

For now, I am going to wait until 10.11.4 at least to see if there are any changes. 10.11.3 didn't change anything. It does seem like both parties know it's a known issue though so maybe something will get done.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-25, 00:02

So what is the problem you are having?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-01-25, 09:04

My apologies. It was the other thread I had going with disappearing emails. Happens every day to me at work with my GoDaddy work email account. It's always the same group of emails and is by date. They disappear and then redownload. Happens several times a day to me.

@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-01-25, 14:11

Interesting that they're both passing the blame, but not unexpected.

It's definitely an issue with accessing email through Mail.app okn OS X because I haven't had the issue since switching away from it. Just crazy that it's still not resolved.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-25, 19:51

Well, I would move personally. Even within GoDaddy to a cPanel based server. GoDaddy might actually move you for free internally and you not have to do anything for that. Then when you are finally tired of it you just backup your cPanel and have it restored where you move to.

Are you on a shared hosting plan or VPS?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2016-01-26, 22:49

Sorry to hijack briefly, but I'm now looking into inexpensive hosting too. My play by email game has been on GoDaddy for several years. We're using a shared linux host with cpanel, we have vBulletin forums, a bunch of Mailman mailing lists, a Wordpress blog, and a cool php site. Something happened with GoDaddy's servers today and a bunch of stuff went down - they lost our Mailman lists (it says no lists are configured...) and GoDaddy wants to charge us $150 for data recovery. We have a backup from early Dec, so we'll only lose about 500 archived posts from the old lists, but we're thinking about going somewhere else after this level of pure bullshit. I can't believe they admit that they've had DB problems, that their server fails, and then tell us that we lost data so we have to pay!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder