User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: scratt wanted to add a poll to vote on bringing back the counters
No, sillies. 46 30.46%
Leave them in the user CP 27 17.88%
Put them back in the main thread view 45 29.80%
Beer. 33 21.85%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.
Page 6 of 14 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-26, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Why is everyone suddenly looking at me??
[Ford Perfect]Here. Drink some beer and eat some peanuts. Hurry up. We only have ten minutes. [/Ford Perfect]
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-05-26, 11:05

17 to 14!!! Wheeeeeee
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-05-26, 21:09

Banana - I'm sure drew can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it is Ford Prefect, not Perfect. Although the late, great, DA did comment that Americans seemed to miss the joke entirely.

As for post counts and rep points ... whatever will be will be. I'm more of the thinking that most people here can read and have adequate comprehension skills, so being able to discern the wheat from the chaff shouldn't be too hard.

Oh yeah, I'm back in Oz and I've got the blasted stones again. Groan.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-26, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Banana - I'm sure drew can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it is Ford Prefect, not Perfect. Although the late, great, DA did comment that Americans seemed to miss the joke entirely.
It's really two jokes in one, isn't it? Named after the car and the perfect is 'imperfect'. Of course the "second" part of the gag can be applied to the vehicle in the first place and wouldn't have anything to do with DA.

I always particularly liked Vyvian's flame painted Ford Prefect in The Young Ones, myself.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-05-26, 21:27

Yes indeed - I never knew what a Ford Prefect was, but I certainly knew what a Ford Anglia was.

I bought The Young Ones on DVD last year and brought it up to China. There's no way my wife could sit through an episode, but I still love it.

twitter
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-26, 21:44

Talk about irony.

See, I *knew* that his last name was Prefect, and when I first typed it, I thought, it should be Prefect, not Perfect. So I go back and check my spelling. Hmm, Perfect. That's right. A roman administrator. So I moved on.

Now you point this out.

colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-26, 21:47

When in doubt, check Wikipedia.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-26, 21:52

Actually, Wikipedia is great when you're uncertain that you have a right answer, but what if you *think* you have a right answer? I'd pay a million for someone to invent something that will alert one to the fact that no, the "right" answer he has in his head is anything but right.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2006-05-26, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
I'm more of the thinking that most people here can read and have adequate comprehension skills
That's what I like about you Mac+, always the optimist!

They say de stones is about the worst pain there is. Which is why you should feel totally justified in using them as an excuse to get the really grouse drugs, especially as there is high a probability of success.

Welcome home. Are you back so you can get medical treatment without the risk of waking up after surgery to find one of your kidneys has been sold on the black market, or did you just have a hankering for some Castlemaine Rock?

Don't forget to Vote 1 Taco!
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-05-26, 23:58

Castlemaine Rock is gross. As is most hard candy.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-05-27, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester
That's what I like about you Mac+, always the optimist!
I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.

Quote:
They say de stones is about the worst pain there is. Which is why you should feel totally justified in using them as an excuse to get the really grouse drugs, especially as there is high a probability of success.
You're not far off ... I spent Monday night in Emergency at St Vincent's in Sydney. I don't think this is as severe as it was when I first experienced them - although, I might just be used to what type of pain to expect now.

Quote:
Welcome home. Are you back so you can get medical treatment without the risk of waking up after surgery to find one of your kidneys has been sold on the black market, or did you just have a hankering for some Castlemaine Rock?
Thanks for the welcome back. The kidney stones were an unwelcome surprise. I was actually meant to be visiting the 'berra this weekend, but my urologist (yes, I now have one of those) advised against it. Speaking of Oz and castlemaine rock (trying my darndest to make a nice segue) my impetus was to come down and witness some rock from Dorothy's dog. Saw both shows and had the good fortune to share the Melb-Syd flight with them. With that, I figured my extravagent indulgence (trip home) paid for itself. Now I'm spending time wih my folks in Melbourne and awaiting some further testing.
Quote:
Don't forget to Vote 1 Taco!
Will do.

twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-05-27, 09:19

Shit. I go to Spain for a week and things all go to hell! I thought that I couldn't see post counts because I was using IE. (Internet cafe in Barcelona). Glad to see that things keep moving without me.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 11:10

Actually, we were floundering while you were away. We need someone to ask us how it makes us feel to not having point counts!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-19, 18:39

Holy fuck!

I go to Germany/Morocco for three weeks; it takes me a week to find this tread; I am still confused as to the vile posts that induced this clamp down on ze count de posts...
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-06-19, 19:00

Shhh! If we are all nice, maybe they will come back.

*sinks back into the shadows of the forgotten thread*
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-19, 19:28

Maybe it's just me. But aren't some of you taking this just a bit to seriously? Does it really matter? Isn't life too short to waste time on this?
Damn i just wasted time on this. Bugger i'm still doing it. Must stop now..........
re-boot required. Forced shut down, last post saved. System Off Line............

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-06-19, 21:03

Well, to be perfectly honest, I do rely in post count quite a bit. I respond differently to noobs than I do to seasoned members, namely by not pointing out mistakes if they post in the wrong forum but also by avoiding abbreviations and providing more detailed instructions. I know it can be intimidating for people to ask for help in a community like this and will go that extra mile to make them feel welcome.

Then again, I can't stick it to someone who should know better.

Still, as someone who has a difficult time with names (especially if the change), I find post counts do actually provide useful information to me. I can live without it of course, but in all seriousness, I do think they are helpful if not abused.

But I am not a Admin. And Brad knows best.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2006-06-19 at 21:42.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-20, 06:22

I think the post counts were extremely helpful and I honestly don't know how to respond to people now, so I've stopped posting as much which is a good thing at the end of the day because it means that I'm out in the real world more.

The only problem with the post counts was having incentives for people to boost them.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-20, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Well, to be perfectly honest, I do rely in post count quite a bit. I respond differently to noobs than I do to seasoned members, namely by not pointing out mistakes if they post in the wrong forum but also by avoiding abbreviations and providing more detailed instructions. I know it can be intimidating for people to ask for help in a community like this and will go that extra mile to make them feel welcome.

Then again, I can't stick it to someone who should know better.

Still, as someone who has a difficult time with names (especially if the change), I find post counts do actually provide useful information to me. I can live without it of course, but in all seriousness, I do think they are helpful if not abused.

But I am not a Admin. And Brad knows best.
Thanks. As a new member your comments are really nice. And much appreciated, it is a bit daunting at first. It takes time to fit in, and your attitude will definatley help. Whilst i appreciate post counts are useful, doesn't the date of joining do the same thing? Surely it's not the number of posts but the quality that counts. After all we are here to have fun as well aren't we? So we all post rubbish as well as good stuff. But that's part of being in a community. I have never joined any other forums. (other than Shirra Waste of time full of crap nobody seems to monitor it), and picked Applenova because it is so well run and looked after. Without Admins/Mods this site would be a mess, Thanks to all Admins/Mods (Especially Brad ) for doing such a great job. I only wish i had been here during Locash's time. But all due respect is given.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-20, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
I think the post counts were extremely helpful and I honestly don't know how to respond to people now, so I've stopped posting as much which is a good thing at the end of the day because it means that I'm out in the real world more.

The only problem with the post counts was having incentives for people to boost them.
Fully understand. But see my post above and enjoy the real world.

Last edited by thegeriatric : 2006-06-20 at 10:02.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-06-20, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric
Whilst i appreciate post counts are useful, doesn't the date of joining do the same thing? Surely it's not the number of posts but the quality that counts.
True on all counts. But in solving tech support problems, people with 2,000 posts generally offer better advice than those with 100. There is also the lurker factor where some members may have joined years ago but post once or twice a month. We are getting into the whole grey area of "you are not your post count" discussion, which is exactly why this thread exists. I am a little ashamed to admit it, but that system worked for me for exactly that reason. It was easily to spot the most popular members in a thread and yes, the class clowns too.

billybobsky
BANNED

2006-06-20, 09:28

It is true that the intersection of date joined and post count gave a sense of the character of the poster...
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-06-20, 09:34

/me agrees
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-06-20, 09:40

Perfect example AsLan^.
You and I registered roughly the same time but you seem like a new name to me.

Nothing against lurkers BTW. I too, spent quite a bit of time as a lurker back in the day.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-06-20, 11:16

Post counts help me remember people, too. The "date joined" doesn't mean nearly as much to me since I can barely remember what today's date is.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-20, 12:48

This isn't really anything that a username can't do. For one thing, we all know better than to listen to a MacGeek200X's advice on wiping your hard drives. While one doesn't have to remember every username, memory is much better when you glance at the username; it works just like a post count in reminding you who this particular person.

I don't really see any good reasons to have post counts. Make it a private party if you want, but I'm a happy camper without it. Learn to memorize names, not numbers. We are all unique individuals.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-06-20, 12:50

With ever changing post counts indicating more than just the name...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-20, 12:53

With ever changing posts indicating more than just the post counts...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-20, 13:36

As a reminder to everyone, I should point out again that the post count returned to the user profile page long long ago. It's there if you want it, just not prominently emblazoned on every single post.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-06-20, 15:59

Yea and I've used it a few times. That fad wore off so I make due. No biggie.

I don't want to be a whiner or anything but *ahem* one reason I like post counts is because I have trouble reading the Usernames. The whole blue-on-blue action forces a squint out of me. Brad, I can read your name just fine with that bold along with all admins, but Banana looses its clarity after "Ban" and the "ifil" in torifile is just a jumble of vertical lines. That black text like the tiny "Administrator" under Brad's name is perfectly legible so don't blame my eyes. So there you know.

Gee, I feel like a tattle-tell now. I'm going to take a nap.