User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone read any of the Travelers' Tales series?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone read any of the Travelers' Tales series?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-03, 13:35

For some reason, I am feeling the urge to read travel books again.

I was wondering if any of you have read any of the Travelers' Tales series, and if so, which ones, and how did you like them?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...1&Go.y=8&Go=Go

They seem to have 4 and 5 stars at amazon.

Maybe some of you could actually *write* a travel book for the series, and if so, what area of the world would you cover in your writing?

I just ran across the website of a couple who have been traveling around the world by bicycle for the last four years. They originally sold all their possessions, put $100,000 in the bank, and set off on their bikes with the goal of traveling for seven years.

I was wondering if such a trip would sound appealing to any of *you*, accompanied by a good friend or your significant other? Maybe for a shorter duration, like say, a year? From what little I've read of it so far, it sounds like their biggest problem was that they got on each other's nerves, and after just a few months at that.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dating/...veldating.html

I love travel, but I can't see doing it solely by bicycle, and with just *one* other person... for *years*.

Anyone have thoughts on travel like that? Would you do strictly a bike trip? If so, where would you go, and for how long?

I could see doing a *motorcycle* trip, possibly. But I don't like the idea of having to worry about the motorcycle, and all the stuff packed on it, getting stolen. I think that kind of omnipresent worry would spoil a trip for me.

Of course, a bicycle would be relatively easy to replace if stolen; so maybe their choice of transport isn't such a bad idea after all. Hmm.

One of the Travelers' titles is about Provence. I'm sure some of you have traveled through Provence. How was it? Crowded, touristy, or what? Was it wonderful, or not so great? How was the food? I just watched the DVD set of A Year in Provence, which is why I ask.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-12-03 at 13:50.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-12-03, 13:36

Nope.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-03, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
One of the Travelers' titles is about Provence. I'm sure some of you have traveled through Provence. How was it? Crowded, touristy, or what? Was it wonderful, or not so great? How was the food? I just watched the DVD set of A Year in Provence, which is why I ask.
Only if you'd asked this in January. My soon-to-be fiance is spending two weeks in France next month--a week of which will be in Provence.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-03, 20:54

There are many books in the Travelers' Tales series, and I'd like to buy at least 20 just to get started.

Here are a few titles I'm considering (some are classics):

1. Sights and scenes in Europe: a series of letters from England, France, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy, in 1850. By Mrs. A. T. J. Bullard.

2. American notes; and The uncommercial traveler. By Charles Dickens.

3. Tales of a traveler: (Maynard's English classic series)
by Washington Irving

4. Unbeaten Tracks in Japan (Travelers' Tales Classic Series)
by Isabella L. Bird

5. The Gift of Rivers: True Stories of Life on the Water (Travelers' Tales Guides)
by Pamela Michael

6. Travelers' Tales France
by Larry Habeggar

7. Danger!: True Stories of Trouble and Survival (Travelers' Tales)
by Larry Habegger

8. 30 Days in Italy: True Stories of Escape to the Good Life (Travelers' Tales Guides)
by James O'Reilly

9. 30 Days in the South Pacific: True Stories of Escape to Paradise (Travelers' Tales)
by Sean O'Reilly

10. The Best Travelers' Tales 2004: True Stories from Around the World (Best Travelers' Tales)
by James O'Reilly

11. Travelers' Tales Brazil: True Stories (Travelers' Tales)
by Annette Haddad

12. Travelers' Tales Tuscany: True Stories
by James O'Reilly

13. Travelers' Tales Australia: True Stories (Travelers' Tales)
by Larry Habegger

14. Travelers' Tales Prague and the Czech Republic: True Stories (Travelers' Tales Guides)
by Ivan Klima

15. Travelers' Tales Provence and the South of France: True Stories (Travelers' Tales)
by James O'Reilly

I don't imagine anyone has read any of those titles?
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-12-04, 16:13

Nope, I've never read any of those, WS.

Have you ever read anything by Bruce Chatwin? He's the only travel writer whose work I'm familiar with. His most popular work is 'In Patagonia'.

Travel writing can be a laugh, or not.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-12-04, 18:29

Can't say I've read any of yours, Windswept

But I might recommend three classic travel titles missing from your list:

The Time Machine ~ H.G. Wells | Bonus chapter: Learn to speak Eloi

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ~ Jules Verne | "We're going to need a bigger sub."

Gulliver's Travels ~ Jonathan Swift | "WTF? First I'm tiny, now I'm huge?"

handy, illustrated online version

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2006-12-04 at 18:37. Reason: added cool linkage
k squared

2006-12-04, 21:10

I have the Cuba and Spain editions. Haven't been to Cuba -- just read it to become more familiar with the culture, but used the Spain edition for research before I traveled there and it was a tremendous resource. Hemingway served me well also.

I'm a fan of using these types of books for travel research over the typical Fodors.

Edit: Crown Journeys publish nice travel essays as well, with many of the authors writing about American cities.

Last edited by k squared : 2006-12-04 at 22:05.