AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova World Map and Screenshot Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova World Map and Screenshot Thread
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-19, 03:07

Oh boy. What a day! If activity continues at even half this pace for any length of time, we're going to have a bustling city on the map soon. I spent almost the whole day and evening on the server, which I won't be able to keep doing, but it was still a lot of fun.

Here's a layout of the map so far, with the top pointing Northwest.

Areas of interest, starting from the top:
  • RowdyScot's fenced-in dirt fort
  • the "Mob Hill" area with SpecMode's awesome house
  • the sky bridge, also by SpecMode
  • at the end of the sky bridge, the "Bridgeport" area
  • at the end of the sky bridge resides the two-tone Castle Bryson
  • the White House replica is my new base of operations
  • the big glass area over lava is theelmerguy's, with a house/fort starting to form at one end
  • in the water, I build a boat house with supplies
  • on the western side of the bridges, Bonn built a house and tower, under which are the aforementioned caves
  • slightly up the hill is my first house, the "fortress of insanity"
  • down in the sandy area is the spawning area
  • there's a "safe house" nearby for taking cover, and cacti protect from baddies that might approach from the woods
  • further south, you'll see a mountain with scattered torches where bbsky is strip-mining, last I recall

Forgive me if I've forgotten something or misattributed ownership. That's a lot to track, and I don't plan on keeping a running list.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-19, 21:17

The craters/caverns on the western edge were formed by long rows of TNT.

Fortunately, no one lives out that way. Came close to Mushroom Mountain, but bbsky had already cleared away its local trees.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-12-19, 21:54

I am very amused by the firebreak via TNT.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 03:08

Okay, map update time!

New areas of interest:
  • At the very top (northwest) is 709's "Flaming Mountain", named such because it was already engulfed when he got there, long before my little accident. It turns out there's a lava flow on one side of the mountain that had ignited the trees.
  • Kraetos joined the map and started building a house and a pub next to my new White House courtyard. Still under early construction!
  • SpecMode and Bryson and bbsky greatly extended the skywalk. It now reaches to Mushroom Mountain, has a stone staircase instead of wood, connects with Castle Bryson, and connects via spiral staircase to the spawn area.
  • Bonn constructed a NYC Apple Store replica near Castle Bryson, beneath the new leg of the skywalk.
  • Farms! I don't know who made them, but there are at least two: one underground and one out in the water.

I spent a couple hours manually putting out the giant forest fire (yes, a few small embers remain). Most logs will actually burn eternally, and that's too risky for a community map like this. Fortunately, the Robot Chicken Star Wars marathon was on TV in the background to help me retain my sanity while I chopped away. Some time later this week I fully plan to go trotting through the woods and plant saplings to regrow the resources.

Bonn89

2010-12-20, 13:00

Here's a view of the NYC Apple Store cube from in-game, if anyone is interested:

It's 13x13x13, and I'm working on the spiral staircase now (although I realized last night that I started the staircase going the opposite direction of the real store.. )

Underneath I'll probably set up a little faux-Apple Store, with doors leading off to the 100,000 miles of caves that I'll inevitably run into down there.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-22, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
This looks like so much fun but I just can't bring myself to put the time into it. I love seeing the screen captures and reading about this though. Maybe I'll join and be on a hill somewhere down the road. For now I'm enjoying the sidelines though.
But you've seen only one two actual screen captures from the game! That's what we need while the server is down: some snapshots of our glorious land, frozen in time, inhabited by none.

I'll let you guess what these areas are based on other posts here.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
or you can cheat and look at the file names, you cheater

Bonn89

2010-12-23, 19:53

Here are some shots from inside the Bridgeport Apple Store!

General shot of the inside, staring Brad, Kraetos, and myself:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec...0Store%201.png

The 27" iMac and MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec...20MacBooks.png

The Mac Pro, featuring the sweet new 27" Lava-backlit Cinema Display:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec.../Mac%20Pro.png

And finally, the Genuis Bar.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec...nuis%20Bar.png

(On a side note, I friggin' love how I can drop screenshots into Dropbox's "Public" folder and share them with no hassle )
Bonn89

2010-12-23, 22:43

Couple more screenshots (and a video, once YouTube renders it).

First, here's InvaderJak in his awesome pumpkin helmet:

And here's creeper that got stuck in a 2-block-deep hole outside my Apple Store:

Also, once rendered on YouTube, I'll have a little video of Kraetos' attempt to kill the creeper by pouring lava on him (hint: didn't end so well).
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-23, 23:03

Fuck. You got that on video?
Bonn89

2010-12-23, 23:03

Oh yes.

EDIT: The video should be showing up here soon.

Last edited by Bonn89 : 2010-12-23 at 23:31. Reason: Added video link.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-24, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Oh yes.

EDIT: The video should be showing up here soon.
I wish I could've been there to see that in person.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-24, 02:44

Oh god, that was awesome, hey, you got the creeper....
Foj
Veteran Member

2010-12-24, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Here are some shots from inside the Bridgeport Apple Store!

General shot of the inside, staring Brad, Kraetos, and myself:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec...0Store%201.png

The 27" iMac and MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec...20MacBooks.png

The Mac Pro, featuring the sweet new 27" Lava-backlit Cinema Display:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec.../Mac%20Pro.png

And finally, the Genuis Bar.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Minec...nuis%20Bar.png

(On a side note, I friggin' love how I can drop screenshots into Dropbox's "Public" folder and share them with no hassle )
I'm loving how everyone in these pictures look like box troopers.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-24, 20:24

Here we go. I've flipped the orientation 180° so southeast is at the top, and dimmed the lights so you can see the tiny houses to the south (top right) and north (bottom left). Whose are those?

I probably won't keep posting full-size maps since we're spreading out so far, but I'll be happy to post sections of things people have recently built or renovated.

Bonn89

2010-12-24, 20:54

The super super tiny place on the upper right edge is a 3x3 or so mini shelter. I built it on my 2-day clay journey.

Our world looks so awesome.
Bonn89

2010-12-24, 21:16

BTW, that world map makes an excellent iPhone wallpaper.

http://db.tt/h24qKVv
(Excuse the crappy quality; the iPhone Dropbox app does horrible things to imported photos)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-24, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I don't think you can see my house on that map. Hmm. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it. It's mostly underground, but I've got a 3x12 glass roof with torches out front so it should be noticeable.
Egads! You must be way out there. Is it one of these? For reference, the structure in the bottom left of this image was in the upper right of the previous one.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-24, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Egads! You must be way out there. Is it one of these? For reference, the structure in the bottom left of this image was in the upper right of the previous one.

I don't think I am that far out. When I get to my place, I go past the WH and along the beach to the left. I don't cross any water. I think I might be at that patch of grass directly "above" the WH along the lake, on the backside of that hill.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Bonn89

2010-12-25, 18:28

Quote:

All of those points of light are from my journey for clay. The rightmost one is where I held up for a night before turning back towards Bridgeport.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-25, 23:55

And this one's for InvaderJak/ThunderPoit... and everyone else, to be fair.

The red zones are mossy cobblestone.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-26, 00:09

awesome, looks like the lower right of the map is going to be my new homestead. Good place to set up a new mob trap, once i convert the current one to a nice fenced/plowed field.
Bonn89

2010-12-26, 10:30

BTW guys, the huge chuck of mossy cobble in the middle of that picture is the floor of my first house. :P
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-27, 02:50

Okay... map update time! This time back in the original "up is northwest" orientation. I'll let the builders speak to their contributions.

Flaming Mountain/Mob Hill area:

Bridgeport area:

Here's the full map generated so far, scaled down a bit.

And here's the teeny tiny winter biome. It's in the middle-east of the full map image above.

Probably just enough snow for maybe 50 snowballs.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-27, 23:16

Quote:
The next time a bunch of us are online (probably later this evening), I'll try getting everyone together for a snapshot.
So close! We almost got everyone tonight. Regulars Kraetos, RowdyScot, and Maciej were absent, but left-to-right we have Bryson, 709, billybobsky, ThunderPoit, SpecMode, and Bonn, and I'm taking the photo. These photos were snapped at dusk just after the completion of the massive APPLENOVA sign.

Click for larger!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-27, 23:35

And here's another shot of the sign at sunrise:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-28, 00:33

Up = southeast on this one so you can see the scale of the new sign! You can also see a few new building projects in Bridgeport and (thanks to bbsky) that the spawn area is much cleaner and smoother. No more creeper craters pitting the area!

I believe some are planning to landscape the area around the sign. All that grey stone you see is because we had to blast into the hillside with TNT to make room.

709's nation-building project continues far to the northwest, as well as several other people's projects, but I'll hold off posting pictures of that area for now.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-01, 03:18

709's Mayan temple is truly awesome. Trust me when I say these pictures don't do it justice at all. It has to be seen in person, preferably at night, to really get it.

A bunch of us were checking it out tonight, and on those hallowed pagan grounds I killed Jesus with a single boom headshot. Much havoc was made, but a good time was had by all.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-03, 03:53

Massive map image incoming!

Click for more detail. As usual, northwest is up.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-06, 01:36

Click for bigger.

Bridgeport map:

I've tried to tag anything not obvious by the name with the main architect - although in truth, many of these were joint efforts. Apologies for any errors or omissions.

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-01-06 at 02:03.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-06, 01:44

"Burning" Mountain? It's Flaming Mountain, you dolt!