AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Chavs Gone Wild ™

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Chavs Gone Wild ™
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-08, 15:20

There's no barricade strong enough, no fence tall enough, no tear gas nasty enough to stop half of chavdom from using a police killing as an excuse to destroy part of London. I wonder if these folks winter in Vancouver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

Im confused... I didn't think cops in England had guns, only billy clubs. But seriously I hope no one here has been impacted personally or business-wise. Damn shame to see this happen in London. Montreal I might expect... London, never.

...into the light of a dark black night.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-08-08, 16:05

You have a thing against chavs, don't you, Moogs?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-08-08, 16:38

Seriously, what's not to hate?

I say shoot to kill!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-08-08, 16:40

Do chavs self-identify? Or are they like hipsters in the sense that they hate to be called what they are?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-08-08, 16:49

Like, real chavs were chavs before chavs were recognized as being chavs?
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-08-08, 17:03

As a Londoner i am outraged at the violence!

These scum are just looting and burning down peoples houses and businesses. No political motivation just the lack of any humanity or morals. Its disgusting. Not more i can really say without getting into a an expletive rant.

More worryingly i have no idea how we will stop them. There are only so many police and they cannot be everywhere. For once i hope for torrential rain as i am sure these are only fair weather rioters.

UPDATE:
A brave journo questioning people in Clapham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXcI-NL3Tro

Whats so scary is that i was watching as people set fire to shops with flats above them. There aren't enough police and fire crews to get the people out of the building. People are truly fighting for their lives to get out of buildings.

Last edited by nikstar101 : 2011-08-08 at 17:15.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-08-08, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
There's no barricade strong enough, no fence tall enough, no tear gas nasty enough to stop half of chavdom from using a police killing as an excuse to destroy part of London. I wonder if these folks winter in Vancouver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

Im confused... I didn't think cops in England had guns, only billy clubs. But seriously I hope no one here has been impacted personally or business-wise. Damn shame to see this happen in London. Montreal I might expect... London, never.
This is several orders of magnitude worse than the tiny riotette that Vancouver had. Pretty scary. I used to live in Croydon, so I know the locations well. And yes, I can fully imagine this happening in South London.

Police in England have guns if they need them. Usually, they don't need them. They certainly don't use them indiscriminately as a means to force compliance in every situation (you know where I mean...).
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-08-08, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
They certainly don't use them indiscriminately as a means to force compliance in every situation (you know where I mean...).
u talkin shit bout merica, man?

GET HIM!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-08-08, 17:15

Careful, I'm from Vancouver AND Croydon. I could do anything.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-08-08, 17:21

I wrote some big thing but it would get me sent to Siberia, so let's just say I gathered my senses and counted to 10.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-08-08, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I wrote some big thing but it would get me sent to Siberia, so let's just say I gathered my senses and counted to 10.
Me too. Now we can wonder what the other might have have written.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-08-08, 21:07

Hey, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but didn't this start with some cop shooting a guy? I thought cops in the UK didn't have guns? Now I'm showing off my classical american ignorance.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-08-08, 21:28

Most don't, afaik.

This was bound to happen sooner or later, the austerity measures of the Conservative government were going to be felt at the lower echelons and combined with the view that the Cons are just rich, disconnected elites, which wholly matches the truth, it was just a matter of time before the entrenched, bitter, aggressive youths went clockwork orange on society...
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2011-08-09, 04:30

One heck of a scary photo from the BBC. A person jumping out the window of her burning building.

Lets hope last night was the end of this madness!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-08-09, 05:20

Yeah right... I have just heard that Bristol is burning as well...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-08-09, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Me too. Now we can wonder what the other might have have written.
Just typical "I hate destructive punks" stuff, with more-than-usual cussing and name-calling.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2011-08-09, 09:41

Just seen on Facebook:

I shouldn't laugh. Really, I shouldn't.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-08-09, 10:21

Quote:
Just typical "I hate destructive punks" stuff, with more-than-usual cussing and name-calling.
Go ahead, you're among friends!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-08-09, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Just seen on Facebook:

(...)
What about Neds?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-09, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Well played! This is the ultimate expression of my utter contempt (short of hatred mind you) for Chavdom. So yes, I apparently have a bias against chavs of all stripes (pun initially not intended but then realized and now asserted) ... but ultimately you have to blame the Brits on this board. They taught me well. There was a day when I didn't know what a chav was; this forum brought me into the light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Do chavs self-identify? Or are they like hipsters in the sense that they hate to be called what they are?
Chavs are not intelligent enough to self-identify. They know only that they're skipping class (or a bigger assumption might be skipping work), getting drunk and acting like a punk today. They need other people to identify them; that's what we're here for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
As a Londoner i am outraged at the violence!

These scum are just looting and burning down peoples houses and businesses. No political motivation just the lack of any humanity or morals. [/url]

Whats so scary is that i was watching as people set fire to shops with flats above them. There aren't enough police and fire crews to get the people out of the building. People are truly fighting for their lives to get out of buildings.
Exactly right. Sure sign of ignorance: when a bunch of people who have nothing to do with an untimely deceased person, rise up in phony outrage, with no real purpose or or intention of making the rules that govern their home better, and then use the death as an excuse to destroy entire neighborhoods and people's businesses. The very things that keep their neighborhoods from turning into utter slums. Fucking morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
This is several orders of magnitude worse than the tiny riotette that Vancouver had. Pretty scary. I used to live in Croydon, so I know the locations well. And yes, I can fully imagine this happening in South London.

Police in England have guns if they need them. Usually, they don't need them. They certainly don't use them indiscriminately as a means to force compliance in every situation (you know where I mean...).
Yah I know the Vancouver situation was not nearly the same, was just being sarcastic mostly. As in, when the Chavs need a break from their life of hardship (sitting around, not studying, not working, drinking, looting, fighting)... they head to Vancouver, where they can "casually riot". Maybe break a window or two, burn a trash can. The fundamentals.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2011-08-09, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
What about Neds?

That's why I shouldn't laugh!

At least the news haven't revolted. Yet...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-09, 11:29

We got neds too? Just a chav in another shade of plaid if you ask me.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-08-10, 08:32

Quote:
Mine was about the mentality of the people who would do this, but also about the sources of that mentality. Any mention of "root causes" also can be the source of an argument that goes over the cliff.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-10, 11:21

Quote:
I would like to invoke the California Clause of debate and suggest in a politically correct, yet sensitive manner that you not "edit yourself". The Chavs need your guidance! You never know, one might pop in here and read. Could be a kid who is just on the edge of getting drawn into the chaotic world of plaid and apolitical defiance!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-10, 15:28

Do we have any arrest tallies yet?
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2011-08-10, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Do we have any arrest tallies yet?
I think they are at 805 arrests

But without sounding too pessimistic, the arrests don't really matter as i am pretty sure they will all be let straight back out, since most prisons are full and these are only minor crimes. On the funny side there is a petition for anyone who gets arrested to be denied benefits. And if it gets more than 100,000 signatures then it goes before parliament. As much as i would like to see that happen, i am not sure i would want those scum living out on the street either!! Probably leading to an increase in crime!

At least it seems to have calmed down now.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2011-08-10, 16:23

The Guardian are stating that there have been over 1,100 arrests so far with courts sitting overnight to get through all of the initial hearings. It seems to be much quieter tonight though, thankfully.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-10, 23:15

How about 805 contestants for the next "Desert Run Reality Challenge"? Drop their asses in the middle of the Sahara with a large crate of water and supplies. First one to make it out wins. The rest get the sentence they deserve.

Eugene
careful with axes

2011-08-13, 07:59

The reason for the riots: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14513517

Because grumpy out of touch people like this like to talk.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-13, 11:44

You gotta be kidding me, Eugene. I know you're smarter than that... .

That guy is an idiot for what he believes (i.e. it means ______ "to be black" and _____ "to be white") and deserves whatever criticism he gets, however, this isn't rocket science. BBC has been hosting "discussions" all week on "why it happened", and this is getting away from people now. Everyone wants to find a simple answer and there isn't one, but a combination. All the responses are predictable from all sides of the socio-political fence.

One group says shit parenting (and they're 100% right). This does't happen when you have vigilant parenting from ages 4-14. Teach civic and personal responsibility, teach respect for others and property, teach value of work and your kid won't end up smashing storefront windows, mugging people or acting like a victim.

One group says disparity in economic opportunities (they're partly right). I'm sure there are fewer jobs and good schools in those areas, but it's not truly "oppression" as any hard-working kid could educate himself and find a job if he had a mind to. If inner-city kids here can do it with our gang problems (much worse than theirs) and our public schools (ditto), anyone can do it. It's not easy but no one is stopping them from doing homework, learning, applying themselves. "The man" doesn't exist.

One group says "these kind of people" don't know any other way to behave (which is wrong - or should be wrong in a better world). Behavior is learned and in this case it's learned in the afore-mentioned parenting vacuum, which is overrun by ignorant thug culture.

It IS correct that urban culture in England and the US has taken on a very ignorant and nihilist attitude towards the world and their neighbors in general, but the bottom line is hundreds of punks (any race) used one unfortunate and avoidable event as an excuse to trash entire neighborhoods, shut down businesses, burn homes, and even mug and kill people.

Sure they got anger, man! (Who doesn't?) But there should be no sympathizing with these people. They made a choice and it was the wrong choice, plain and simple. And if their parents won't teach them the hows and whys of life, then maybe the correctional system will (but probably not). Messed up but this has nothing to do with "oh we're stepping out against racist attitudes and making our voices heard." This is "let's fuck everyone up that we can; if there are enough of us, the cops can do nothing."