User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

T610 in Atlanta Area

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
T610 in Atlanta Area
MacUsers

2004-07-06, 21:08

Anyone have a SE T610 phone in the Atlanta area. I've been thinking of starting a plan with T-Mobile and getting the T610 but some people have been telling me the reception is really bad... if you've got one please share your experiences. thanks.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-06, 21:19

The T610 is not significantly better or worse than other phones. It would be best to take T-Mobile up on their 14 day trial. Just make sure to get it at a real T-Mobile store. If you go to a third party store and cancel within 14 days you have to pay the store an ETF. Also, don't port your number, if you are going to, until you are happy with T-Mobile. Porting out in the trial period can be a real pain in the ass.

EDIT: If you're willing to wait a bit the T630 should be T-Mobile branded soon and the K700 will be shipping in volume.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
MacUsers

2004-07-06, 21:22

Hey thanks, ya.. my real problem was that all the phones suck... the T610 was the only choice. I think i'll wait for that T630 and definitely do the 14 day trial, but how sure are you that new ones will be shipping soon, just a guess or do you know.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-06, 21:31

I should also mention that you can buy the T630 unbranded and unlocked for ~$300. It's about $100 more than the T610 is from T-Mobile without the rebate, but it's unlocked. Also, if you're more of a clamshell person you can get the Z600, which is just a T630 flip phone for ~$350.

Personally, I would would spend the money to not have to be tied to a contract and to have an unlocked phone.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
MacUsers

2004-07-06, 21:35

Where can I get an unlocked phone?

edit: Thanks for your help
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-06, 21:40

Expansys USA Highly regarded at HoFo

Just Talk HoFo Advertiser

My World Phone HoFo Advertiser and it looks like they're based in Brooklyn so if you decide to get it from them I could check out their shop to see if they're legit. EDIT: They're based in Queens. I hate going to Queens unless it's for a Mets game so it's unlikely I would go to their offices.

I am in no way associated or affiliated with any of these companies. Also I have not purchased anything from these companies, but they are well regarded at HoFo.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-07-06, 22:23

I have the T616, which is the blood-brother of the T610, and am signed with Cingular here in the ATL. Here are my thoughts on signal....

I know of a handful of what I call "kill zones" around town.

One is on I-75 in the vicinity of the airport. Another is on the connector around the Varsity, that one is particularly nasty and can emit a REALLY loud BLLIIRRRRP sound before your connection is slammed shut...it's so loud that it literally hurts your ear (I'm wearing an earpiece). Driving on Peachtree in downtown is hit or miss, the 'scrapers can blitter your signal badly.

I'd like to have the 630 but this expensive little 610 is going to have to last a while longer, it's been a tough little bugger (with the leatherette wrap).

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-06, 22:30

One thing to keep in mind is that Cingular is 850MHz but T-Mobile is 1900MHz. They are going to have different coverage areas and your experiences with the T616 are not necessarily indicative of what MacUser is going to have.

That being said, the RF performance of the T616 and T610 are identical when on the same band.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-07-06, 23:23

Is there any performance difference between the two frequencies? Advantages?