AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Intel IDF Announcements...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel IDF Announcements...
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-08-23, 20:08

So, I must be either blind, or no one has bothered to start a discussion on IDF yet. Checked Speculation, Third Party, Apple Products, and GD.

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2504

All the new products based on the "best of" Netburst + Pentium-M are due out in the second half of 2006.

The thing that caught my eye is Merom, due out in 2H '06. Dual Core, 65nm process. Seems like the news outlets are differing on the power dissipation information, but it seems like Intel's targeting for power dissipation of 5 watts for Merom... with the low-power version targeted at 0.5 watts Even if that's typical dissipation and not maximum, those are some low numbers.

Imagine the designs Apple could come up with now, and the battery life laptops/tablets/etc could get.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-23, 20:27

Yup, the news wasnt that new to speak of but it does bode well for 2006.

I cant wait to see what Apple comes up with when utilizing Intel processors.
infoterror

2005-08-24, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
I cant wait to see what Apple comes up with when utilizing Intel processors.
I thought Intel processors were slower than the G5s?
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-24, 01:06

What is compared to G5 computers are the current Intel processors. We are talking about the ones that arent out yet.
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-08-24, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
The thing that caught my eye is Merom, due out in 2H '06. Dual Core, 65nm process. Seems like the news outlets are differing on the power dissipation information, but it seems like Intel's targeting for power dissipation of 5 watts for Merom... with the low-power version targeted at 0.5 watts Even if that's typical dissipation and not maximum, those are some low numbers.

Imagine the designs Apple could come up with now, and the battery life laptops/tablets/etc could get.
I know Intel's talking about a completely unified processor architecture, but I'm not entirely sure it extends to the processors expected to run a .5w. Don't expect sub-notes and large tablets to be using these, but handhelds.

As for the other categories, the laptop oriented Merom CPUs are expected to run at 5w, Conroe at 65w and Woodcrest starting at 80w.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-08-24, 05:06

80W by Woodcrest?

That's not much better than the G5, right?

Then it actually has to outperform the PPC 970MP, in order to call itself better.

See infoterror, G5 is better
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-08-24, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
I know Intel's talking about a completely unified processor architecture, but I'm not entirely sure it extends to the processors expected to run a .5w. Don't expect sub-notes and large tablets to be using these, but handhelds.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing one of the slides saying exactly what you pointed out... sub-notes at 5w. That's still a good amount better than the 745x running at what, 13-15w IIRC?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-24, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
80W by Woodcrest?

That's not much better than the G5, right?

Then it actually has to outperform the PPC 970MP, in order to call itself better.

See infoterror, G5 is better
Heh... the PPC 970MP has to exist somewhere outside of a tech document in order to be called better than another processor (which also has to exist outside of a tech document in order to make statements of its own performance).

In other words, we shall see. Though that does tend to kill the fun of rumor-mongering.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-08-24, 11:04

Absolutely fun

Both Apple, IBM and Intel like to "talk up" their stuff. And us fanboys will always be there to believe the companies we like and, and flame the companies we don't like.

I have no idea what kind of performance to expect from Woodcrest, but I deem it behind Antares on the hype.

Last edited by Mugge : 2005-08-24 at 11:06.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-24, 15:15

Jeez, forget the new processors - just look at the slides, must have been done on PowerPoint! They just look so banal.
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-08-25, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Heh... the PPC 970MP has to exist somewhere outside of a tech document in order to be called better than another processor (which also has to exist outside of a tech document in order to make statements of its own performance).

In other words, we shall see. Though that does tend to kill the fun of rumor-mongering.
Intel had machines running samples of all their new CPUs at IDF.

Last edited by Eugene : 2005-08-25 at 03:31.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-08-25, 04:42

So have people been looking at this new Intel Vivv?

linky

So now they may have a machine which will be the Home Hub and run either XP or OS X!

Clever boys!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-08-25, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt

So now they may have a machine which will be the Home Hub and run either XP or OS X!
VIIV is just a badge, like having something THX Certified...

Last edited by Eugene : 2005-08-25 at 06:32.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-08-25, 06:44

Quote:
Viiv (pronounced to rhyme with five) is a collection of its dual-core microprocessors, chipsets, software and networking capabilities. PCs based on Viiv will work with high-end monitors and a TV-like remote control.
Seems a little more that just a branding to me.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-25, 06:47

Quote:

linky

Clever boys!
Yeah, saw this on another news site - welcome back the Digital Hub™ Personally I find it hard to imagine it being a roaring success, for a start it uses Windows Media Center Edition which even M$ haven't pushed that hard. The issue with all of these is the human interface - making it intuitively user-friendly and marketing it as such. I don't know anyone but Apple with that sort of skillset.

edit:
Quote:
Seems a little more that just a branding to me.
Absolutely, it's a bit like Centrino (ugh, horrible brand ), it's a complete package to make it easy for PC makers to produce a home media center. I dare say Intel could even produce an Intel-branded one for consumers, but it's hard to see it selling well to the public at large to my mind.

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-08-25 at 06:50.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-08-25, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Yeah, saw this on another news site - welcome back the Digital Hub™ Personally I find it hard to imagine it being a roaring success, for a start it uses Windows Media Center Edition which even M$ haven't pushed that hard. The issue with all of these is the human interface - making it intuitively user-friendly and marketing it as such. I don't know anyone but Apple with that sort of skillset.

edit: Absolutely, it's a bit like Centrino (ugh, horrible brand ), it's a complete package to make it easy for PC makers to produce a home media center. I dare say Intel could even produce an Intel-branded one for consumers, but it's hard to see it selling well to the public at large to my mind.
That's kind of my point... Stuff that chipset into a Mini style setup, with OS X 'Media Edition' and the all important "stop-the-buggers-running-this-os-anywhere-else-dongle" and hey presto....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-25, 06:53

I guess it's only a question of when.....

edit: there's an Ars Technica snippet and link here - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050825-5238.html

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-08-25 at 07:01.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-08-25, 08:08

Well, since the VIIV brand is Windows XP only, it won't mean much good to Apple. Ars Technica also makes an excellent point about Apple not needing Intels marketing subsidaries, and their silly "ding ding dong" jingle. If Apple wan't to make such a device they can damn well call it their own, despite the fact that it's "Intel inside".

The biggest problem as I see it, is that Intels marketing is not to underestimated. Both "Intel inside" and Centrino, has become items the average consumer looks for when making a purchase decision. If Intel can get enogh of these boxes to the market first. Apple might miss out on it's window of opportunity. Because VIIV will be regarded a standad alike VHS.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-08-25, 08:18

Personally I hope Apple leap frog the lot and produce a really nice Mac Mini style home media box....

Anything could happen in this building war... I suspect that we will see the Viiv hardware in a mini at some point, but as you say - without the Intel Inside branding.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-08-25, 08:47

And if Apple also added some evolved Airtunes (wireless HD video streaming etc.) They would have a killer machine. But the standard OS X UI isn't that useful. Maybe some sort of default Dashboard UI that with a single click can switch into full OS X.

Me want one!