Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-19, 13:23

That is one amazing view we have now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-02-26, 12:06

Odysseus disappointed me.

Sure, it's a private venture, and was far more successful than the probe I launched, but still.

I have been spoiled by NASA?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-26, 15:07

It falling over is an interesting thing. I mean, maybe they didn't realize how top-heavy it was? Maybe they didn't take into account the lower gravity?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-26, 15:48

I just think they'd design these things to be like some of those fancy, nice RC cars...able to flip back over/right themselves. The moon or Mars is a hell of a long way for a mission to go "meh" because the damn little wheeled-thing hit a rock and tipped over. Aren't people in the planning positions of these missions thinking about that sort of stuff? If my dumb butt is... *shrug*

Can't fix it remotely from Houston or Pasadena, I promise. Build it in and not have to worry about it.

That should never be an issue on any of these missions, NASA or otherwise. If your vehicle tips over, then it's smart enough to deploy some robotic arms or mini-rockets to right itself. Think Tony Stark...WWTSD? That should just be standard equipment on any of these little rover thingies.

I hate the thought of all this money, planning, engineering, etc. only to have someone go "well, we're done...it tipped over". That's something stupid we say on Earth about Legos or sand castles, standing feet away (and able to fix it).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-26, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
NASA’s Webb Rings in Holidays With Ringed Planet Uranus

Absolutely wild that we're able to see such things.
Rings around Uranus? Hey, we've all been to college. I ain't going there/touching that...too easy.

I wish I followed this stuff the way I did as a pre-teen. I was eaten up with "space" and NASA. I followed the Shuttle program, I knew all the mission names/numbers/crew members on the original Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions, etc.

I forgot about ol' dickwit Twitter mangler being in on this stuff. I don't follow anything Musk, unless/until it blows up in his weird-looking face. And then I've got ammunition for days.

Yeah, I'm with drew...these folks are all doing better than MY sorry-ass efforts from Fireworks R Us Mega-Mart with an iPad mini taped to the side.

I was a Cub Scout, back in my yoof and we built little model rockets and then went out to the nearby little league field (off-season) and launched them one Saturday. I painted mine blue and yellow, official(?) Cub Scout colors. It went SO high! I couldn't believe it. And then it came back down with a little parachute, landing about 30-40 feet away from the little launch pad area. A bunch of pre-teen boys hopped up on Kool-Aid/soda, sprinting around after launches, hoping to "catch" the returning rocket. I just remember an amped up day of gravel, dirt fights and mangled spacecraft, despite the chutes. For a few weeks, this stuff was my life. I always wish I'd gotten into it properly/fully, and RC flying/planes too. If I'd never discovered music/guitars, I might've had a more "normal" boyhood of that sort of stuff...planes, vehicles, remote control stuff, LEGOs, blowing shit up, pranks, launching rockets, building shelters, learning how to use a compass, fighting a bear or shooing a rattlesnake out of my tent, etc.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-26, 17:55

Odysseus seems to have been designed to fit inside the fairing atop Falcon 9, so long and thin.

Short and fat is the only way to improve "pointy side up" landings on the moon. This is why I think the SpaceX Starship is a bad idea for lunar landings.

Tall+thin=top-heavy, so fally overy.

Apollo Program lunar landers were short and fat by comparison, and had wide leg-bases to prevent toppling. All this new stuff seems to be pretty tall and skinny.

Engineers in the past had to solve tougher problems, and so thought through way more possibilities. For instance, they didn't have the sophisticated and computerized guidance and control systems (lasers, high-performance radars and other such nifty bits) that modern engineers take for granted, so they had to take more extraordinary measures to make sure the lander stayed upright on the surface. So, short and fat with wide legs.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-02-26 at 18:09.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-26, 21:25

Well they might need to go back to what reliably worked. At this level, stuff shouldn’t be “falling/tipping over”. It’s crazy to think it is.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-02-27, 09:40

The Blue Moon design from Blue Origin is shorter, but still surprisingly tall vs it's base:

https://www.blueorigin.com/blue-moon

(A friend of mine works on the Blue Moon team doing some kind of engineering...I should ask him!)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-27, 15:22

Probably a bit more stable because the fool thing is absolutely gigantic!

And I absolutely love the RV-style spare tire!

Never know when that might come in handy.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-27, 16:14

All the flat-earth/moon-landing-denying conspiracy nuts are happy they'll be getting something else to lose their minds over. They just wanna disbelieve everything. Makes them "cool" and not (dreaded) "sheeple" (I HATE that word, how it's used, who uses it, who it's geared to, etc.). Always the Alex Jones/technical flashlight fetishists/Bud Light crybabies, as though they aren't a mind-blowing example themselves.

You'd think a Space:1999 type of thing would be hit on at some point, long, low and flat, zero toppling worries/risks, just a space skateboard, basically. Hell, even a Millennium Falcon type of design, a short, wide "dish", sitting somewhat low. Everything's a 2-3 story silo or condo. The Apollo lander was like a spider or crab and seemed to work well, the times it made it to the surface and was used. I guess NASA has that trademarked/protected, so no private outfits can copy/replicate it.

I still look to Andy Griffith's crazy show/character!
¡Damned!

2024-02-27, 16:38

Man I loved that show as a kid. The Vulture just blew my little mind ... "I could go to space in a cement mixer with some radial tires bolted on for a soft landing? Let's get started!!"

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-27, 19:15

All the landers are tall/skinny because they have to fit in modern rockets that are, well, tall and skinny!

SpaceX's Super Heavy should launch some parts into space that can be assembled and then "pushed to the moon". Instead, tall and skinny.

The first astronauts to Mars are gonna die because "tall and skinny" is either gonna fall over on landing or get blown over in the wind.

Short and squat, like a Russian Babushka! Or maybe a Weeble Wobble.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-03-14, 10:01

That was a seriously cool launch of Starship!

That was a screenshot from the reentry time right before it rolled and is assumed to have gone full RUD on us.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-03-14, 10:13

As much as I disliking seeing the failure with the burn up, seeing more of Musk’s money burn up in space warms my heat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-03-14, 13:05

What completely amazes me is that we could even see video from it at that point in the flight. I mean, that is crazy footage right there. You should watch the reply of the reentry when you can, it is really a sight to behold.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-14, 14:04

I watched this! It was so cool. The camera attached to the moving fin made it even more dynamic. The cheering helped make it even more exciting.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-03-14, 14:37

That stuff still gets me, what little I follow/see of it. It’s like “hey, everyone’s not a complete asshole; there are still people doing interesting, fascinating work!”

It’s just more spread out now and tougher to follow, not all under one roof/agency.

Truth is, the launch scene of Apollo 13 will wet my eyes quicker than any rom-com or “orphan” movie ever has. I love triumphant, “man has designed himself into greatness” fare.

Then again, a bunch of baseball ghosts just wanting to play catch in an Iowa cornfield will completely destroy me for 5-6 hours, so I’m probably not a good barometer for this stuff.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2024-03-14, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
As much as I disliking seeing the failure with the burn up, seeing more of Musk’s money burn up in space warms my heat.
Problem with seeing this burn up is that it's not really his money.

The US Government is heavily subsidizing SpaceX, so just a bunch of taxpayer dollars burning up...

I wish NASA was doing this type of stuff directly, but I also understand that private companies have a role to play in this as well.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Quagmire
meh

2024-03-14, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post

The US Government is heavily subsidizing SpaceX, so just a bunch of taxpayer dollars burning up...

I wish NASA was doing this type of stuff directly, but I also understand that private companies have a role to play in this as well.
Having an issue with S28 burning up due to taxpayer money is also misunderstanding SpaceX's development method. They are a hardware rich philosophy. They learn by actually launching the hardware and see how it does in the real world with real data. Super Heavy/Starship development will likely cost the tax payers far less than SLS has. Falcon 9 was also developed under the same method and it was among the cheapest medium to heavy lift vehicle ever to develop.

The taxpayer expectation of things working the first time is the reason why SLS has ballooned to ridiculous cost levels.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-03-14, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Musk likely thinks it is... because he's Musk.