AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Things you wonder about...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Things you wonder about...
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 08:48

Okay, I'd like this to be a thread in which people can mention things they wonder about... without getting any flak, or criticism, or anyone laughing at them for their lack of knowledge.

I think all of us silently wonder about various things; but maybe we never ask questions to clarify our uncertainties, because we just *know* people will consider our questions 'stupid', that we'll be laughed at, or told scornfully to shut up and just go google up an answer.

Well, sure, we could spend our lives checking google, to make sure no one ever discovers that we have a question about something. But what fun is there in that?

I'd like a place where people can ask their 'dumb questions' and not worry about being jeered at or ridiculed. Okay?

Or, maybe *I'm* the only one on this board who has dumb questions. And, after all, I *am* a female, and therefore, by definition, NOT afraid to ask for directions.

*cough*

So maybe all you guys will be *too cool* to post a few 'dumb questions'.

I therefore challenge you to show a little bit of that wide-eyed innocent side we all had as children and tell us, is there anything at all that you 'wonder about'?

Thanks for any brave replies.

What inspired this thread is my very own dumb question (*and* a question someone else had about tighty-whities in another thread :

I was driving through a very large intersection at 4 a.m. (a few hours ago), and heard that 'cuckoo sound' I've been hearing for the last few years at a few other busy and dangerous intersections in town - intersections that are probably used by a lot of pedestrians. So, I was wondering what that cuckoo sound is for? Anyone know? Is it to tell the pedestrian that the light will be changing soon and they better walk faster, or what?

Okay, I know this may seem like a pretty weird thread topic, and since you're almost all guys, no one will probably reply to it; but I didn't get around to going to sleep last night, and I'm a bit wired on coffee (mmm...coffee). So I realize that my judgment may be a bit impaired.

But I'm posting this anyway, and we'll see if anything happens... if anyone has the courage to reply. heh.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-03, 08:52

When I see *Orange and you look at the same thing you see something you call *Orange too... But what colour do you actually see in your head, and for that matter what colour do I see?

Basically describe the colour Orange to a blind person....

*This applies to more than one colour I think!

With regards to your question...
Have you checked under your seat for any live birds, or did you find any feathers on your car when you got home?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
When I see *Orange and you look at the same thing you see something you call *Orange too... But what colour do you actually see in your head, and for that matter what colour do I see?

Basically describe the colour Orange to a blind person....

*This applies to more than one colour I think!

Have you checked under your seat for any live birds, or did you find any feathers on your car when you got home?

I like that.

It's like that 'tree falling in the forest thing': if there are no *ears* to hear the sound, IS there actually a sound?

This question is probably answered in 4th grade science class these days. But I must have been absent the day it was covered and never 'did' get the information.

So... IS there actually a sound?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 09:11

Quote:

Really! I swear to God, there's a 'cuckoo' sound at those intersections.

It's actually quite annoying, and there's *no* way to tune it out, which I suppose is the whole point of the highway dept. choosing that particular sound.

Maybe it's to alert the motorists that there are likely to be pedestrians in the crosswalk trying madly to get across the road before the light changes, and that it would be nice if they didn't run them down.
autodata
hustlin

2005-11-03, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
So, I was wondering what that cuckoo sound is for? Anyone know? Is it to tell the pedestrian that the light will be changing soon and they better walk faster, or what?
Isn't it for the visually impaired?

The biggest class of stuff I'm clueless about is how to pronounce words and names. It must be related to my genes or upbringing because my parents have a hard time with it, too. It's a real problem since my family, social group and workplace are so academic, international and/or tech oriented at the same time. I see a lot of things written down and know words extremely well (even have done undergrad/grad at a top university), but when it comes time to vocalize them I find that I'm lost. I use the online dictionaries a lot to find the pronunciations of words. However, this problem is compounded by my awful memory, so I have to look up the same word a bunch of times over the course of a year or two before I get it.

It's embarrassing and I try to avoid telling anyone. How can you ask someone to explain to another adult how to pronounce english words? I've recently learned that I'm probably slightly dyslexic, so that's probably a contributing factor.

Last edited by autodata : 2005-11-03 at 09:29.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2005-11-03, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
That's what I was told. One direction should be "cuckoo" and the other should be something different, like a chirp to inform the visually impaired which direction is safe to cross.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-03, 09:21

Quote:
I never knew the land of equal opportunities had gone that far!!

Wow Cuckoo sounds at intersections for visually impaired drivers! Cool!

Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToddHunter
That's what I was told. One direction should be "cuckoo" and the other should be something different, like a chirp to inform the visually impaired which direction is safe to cross.
Oh, yeah! I 'have' heard the chirp too. Cool!

Well, now it's all starting to make sense.

*Who* told you this information, CoolToddHunter, if you don't mind my asking?

And thanks.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-11-03, 09:37

Quote:
The biggest class of stuff I'm clueless about is how to pronounce words and names. It must be related to my genes or upbringing because my parents have a hard time with it, too. It's a real problem since my family, social group and workplace are so academic, international and/or tech oriented at the same time. I see a lot of things written down and know words extremely well, but when it comes time to vocalize them I find that I'm lost. I use the online dictionaries a lot to find the pronunciations of words. However, this problem is compounded by my awful memory, so I have to look up the same word a bunch of times over the course of a year or two before I get it.
I have exactly the same problem. I went through a few years of getting extra help for spelling and pronunciation in middle school. It never worked. I was reading at a 12th grade level in 4th grade but I can't spell worth a poop and still mis-pronounce common words. Some people think its related to ADD.
I also have a problem expressing myself. I have so many "threads" of thought running through my head that I tend to jump around alot and so my writing and verbal communication skills seem a little strange. Again, I've been told that this is because of ADD.

I'm full of questions that I can't find a reasonable answer for.

Why do women try to put on eyeliner while driving?

Why do hard drives always seem to fail at the same time your automated backup fails?

Why is religious intolerance and fundamentalism so prevalent in the world?

Why can't we all just get along?

Why do newborns have a grasping reflex? (a newborn will grasp anything that is put into its hands and will hold on VERY tight)

Why do I have so many questions?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-03, 09:58

My family took a road trip to Canada several years ago and a bunch of the traffic lights in Thunder Bay said "Advanced Green When Flashing." Then the green light would start flashing. We had no idea what it meant.

Looking it up now it means "green arrow." Whoever came up with that flashing green shit needs to get hit or something.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 10:00

Quote:

The biggest class of stuff I'm clueless about is how to pronounce words and names. It must be related to my genes or upbringing because my parents have a hard time with it, too. It's a real problem since my family, social group and workplace are so academic, international and/or tech oriented at the same time. I see a lot of things written down and know words extremely well (even have done undergrad/grad at a top university), but when it comes time to vocalize them I find that I'm lost.
I've sometimes been uncertain about how to pronounce words. Like the word 'cavernous', for example. I had never heard it pronounced, and so when I said it one day to a friend, I pronounced it "ca VER nous" (I'm embarrassed even to 'think' about it now). My friend gave me a strange look and said, "CA ver nous". And Roget's Thesaurus - I apparently had never actually heard the name "Roget" pronounced aloud. Another little embarrassment. I have studied a few languages, like four years of Latin and four years of Russian; and I think the Russian in particular has caused me greater uncertainty in knowing which syllable to accent, because of its accenting rules. OR...maybe my mother dropped me on my head when I was a baby, and the 'language' part of my brain has a dent in it.

Quote:
I use the online dictionaries a lot to find the pronunciations of words. However, this problem is compounded by my awful memory, so I have to look up the same word a bunch of times over the course of a year or two before I get it.
Hey, I hear ya. I *used* to be able to spell fairly well. I had a good visual memory for words correctly spelled. All I had to do was close my eyes, and I could visualize the word in my mind. But after grading 7th grade compositions for a few years, and seeing any given word spelled in an infinite number of plausible ways ( ), my visual memory is all messed up now, and I can't spell anything. I look with suspicion at SO many words now, and think: "Hmm, *that* doesn't look right. But, no dictionary handy, so I'll just have to wing it." I have looked up some words repeatedly, and think I finally have a handle on them. But, who knows.

Quote:
It's embarrassing and I try to avoid telling anyone. How can you ask someone to explain to another adult how to pronounce english words? I've recently learned that I'm probably slightly dyslexic, so that's probably a contributing factor.
Thank you for this post, autodata. I *really* appreciate your candor, your honesty, and your willingness to share what you have. I think that's great - *and* courageous. *hug*

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-05-03 at 10:56.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
I have exactly the same problem. I went through a few years of getting extra help for spelling and pronunciation in middle school. It never worked. I was reading at a 12th grade level in 4th grade but I can't spell worth a poop and still mis-pronounce common words. Some people think its related to ADD.
I also have a problem expressing myself. I have so many "threads" of thought running through my head that I tend to jump around alot and so my writing and verbal communication skills seem a little strange. Again, I've been told that this is because of ADD.

I'm full of questions that I can't find a reasonable answer for.

Why do women try to put on eyeliner while driving?

Why do hard drives always seem to fail at the same time your automated backup fails?

Why is religious intolerance and fundamentalism so prevalent in the world?

Why do newborns have a grasping reflex? (a newborn will grasp anything that is put into its hands and will hold on VERY tight)

Why do I have so many questions?
I *did* put on eyeliner one time while I was driving. Well, actually, when I was stopped at a light. My parents were in the car, and through the rearview mirror, I saw them exchange a look of amazement.

Okay, the answer is that the woman had to leave the house before she was ready, because of some kind of urgent time constraint, and/or 'other' people rushing her. But she *has* to get her make-up on, especially her eyeliner. SO... at every stoplight, she puts on a little more of the make-up. To be fair, I only did this once. We were rushing to avoid losing our dinner reservations.

Wrt religious intolerance, fundamentalism, and the need for people to want to destroy others... I have the same questions you do. I just can't *imagine* wanting to destroy the lives and cultures of others. It seems such a primitive impulse - like part of our reptilian brain. BUT... I won't continue on that vein, because talk like that seems to get smacked down around here.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-03, 10:25

Quote:
I was driving through a very large intersection at 4 a.m. (a few hours ago), and heard that 'cuckoo sound' I've been hearing for the last few years at a few other busy and dangerous intersections in town - intersections that are probably used by a lot of pedestrians. So, I was wondering what that cuckoo sound is for? Anyone know? Is it to tell the pedestrian that the light will be changing soon and they better walk faster, or what?
I know the answer has been supposed throughout the thread but I'll try to put some finality into the answer. The chirping sound is for blind/visually impaired people. After all, a blind person can't see when the sign lights up "walk", so they've added sounds to it. The chirping sound sounds like it is much nicer then the alarm clock sound they use at the crossings in my area.

I know the sounds start when the walk sign comes on because I'm a pedestrian more often then I'm a driver nowadays. In some places, the walk signs actually say words like "Walk now" instead of just making a noise.

OK, now I have a question, why do women think men never ask questions?

Why are men always treated as know-nothings on TV commercials while women are always cracking the whip and dying to shop?

With all the excess food we produce in the US, how come people still go hungry?

Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
My family took a road trip to Canada several years ago and a bunch of the traffic lights in Thunder Bay said "Advanced Green When Flashing." Then the green light would start flashing. We had no idea what it meant.

Looking it up now it means "green arrow." Whoever came up with that flashing green shit needs to get hit or something.

I went to Vancouver, British Columbia, about 7 years ago. Driving in the daytime was fine, and I had no trouble getting around, because I could see the water and always knew which direction I was going. But at night I couldn't see the water, lost my sense of direction, and found that the road markings seemed extremely few and far between. I kept taking the wrong turn and kept crossing the river. It was SO maddening, because it was late at night, I was tired, and was SO sick of crossing that effing river!!!

But Vancouver is a truly magnificent, wonderful city. It just needed a few more road signs!
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-11-03, 10:27

Quote:
I *did* put on eyeliner one time while I was driving. Well, actually, when I was stopped at a light. My parents were in the car, and through the rearview mirror, I saw them exchange a look of amazement.

Okay, the answer is that the woman had to leave the house before she was ready, because of some kind of urgent time constraint, and/or 'other' people rushing her. But she *has* to get her make-up on, especially her eyeliner. SO... at every stoplight, she puts on a little more of the make-up. To be fair, I only did this once. We were rushing to avoid losing our dinner reservations.
No, I mean like putting that stuff on while driving 75mph of the interstate. I saw this all the time when I lived in Boston. It scared the shit out of me.
How do you keep from putting your eye out?

Of course, I also saw drivers reading books/newspapers while driving down the interstate.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-03, 10:30

How about this one, how come when I'm at home I can think of a bunch of things I need to do at work, but by the time I get to work I can't remember all those things I had thought of the night before?

I also have this ability to remember appointments, meetings, etc., except for a blank period that goes from about 10 minutes before the appointment until about 5 minutes after it's too late to make the appointment. As in, at 8:30AM I'll think "I have a meeting at 10AM". I'll know I have this 10 o'clock appointment, until about 9:50. I'll get totally involved in something else, then I'll look at the clock around 10:30AM and go "Crap, I had a 10AM appointment! Crap! Crap! Crap!"
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-03, 10:32

Quote:

I went to Vancouver, British Columbia, about 7 years ago. Driving in the daytime was fine, and I had no trouble getting around, because I could see the water and always knew which direction I was going. But at night I couldn't see the water, lost my sense of direction, and found that the road markings seemed extremely few and far between. I kept taking the wrong turn and kept crossing the river. It was SO maddening, because it was late at night, I was tired, and was SO sick of crossing that effing river!!!

But Vancouver is a truly magnificent, wonderful city. It just needed a few more road signs!
Your story reminds me of the first time I went to NYC. The guy who was driving hopped onto the GWB (George Washington Bridge). At the toll booth we ask the guy, "which way to get to NYC?" and the guy was like "you just left it". So we had to pay the toll twice, and it wasn't cheap either.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-03, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
On the flip side, it's easier to see the difference between a flashing green and a steady green arrow at a distance, especially if your vision is less than perfect. I've seen people run red lights that had a steady green arrow for the left turn lane.

Speaking of odd pedestrian things at traffic intersections, y'all should see Salt Lake City. They have a rule that pedestrians need to carry an orange flag -- and WAVE IT -- as they walk across the street, even if they're going with the signal. Some of them were decorated by schoolchildren, as illustrated here:

I'm sure that I've got a question that I'm afraid to ask... hang on...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-03, 10:59

Seriously. Why do (mostly) women want to talk about their work days? Unless you're in the same field as me, the shit you're about to say is probably about as interesting as my talking about failed hard drives and bad network wiring. It's not.

Seriously. Guys and Gals, unless you're talking to someone in the same field, shut up. Your shit is boring, just like everyone else's.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-03, 11:02

Okay:

Why is there a rift between men & women?

Further -- why do men & women perpetuate such a perceived rift?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-03, 11:04

Because women have what men want and don't give it up as often as men want it. Men have what women want and don't relize it so don't keep women happy.

(and if that statement doesn't piss a few people off, I've lost my touch)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
On the flip side, it's easier to see the difference between a flashing green and a steady green arrow at a distance, especially if your vision is less than perfect. I've seen people run red lights that had a steady green arrow for the left turn lane.

Speaking of odd pedestrian things at traffic intersections, y'all should see Salt Lake City. They have a rule that pedestrians need to carry an orange flag -- and WAVE IT -- as they walk across the street, even if they're going with the signal.
Wow, the orange flag thing is interesting. Wonder if that's done in other cities? There must have been a 'really' appalling accident for them to come up with the orange flag scheme.

Quote:
I'm sure that I've got a question that I'm afraid to ask... hang on...
Okay.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-11-03, 11:07

Why do women always go to the bathroom in pairs?

Why does a woman have to talk over a subject (issue/problem/whatever) for like 30+ minutes even though she has been given the answer (way to fix the problem etc.)?

Why is it that when women go shopping for clothes they have to touch EVERY piece of clothing in the store before they can start to make up their mind?

Why is it that most (it would be all men, but I had to include 'Tosh and his red blazer) men HATE shopping so much?

Why is it that when my 2 month old smiles at me my day suddenly turns from truely crappy to great?
¡Damned!

2005-11-03, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Seriously. Guys and Gals, unless you're talking to someone in the same field, shut up. Your shit is boring, just like everyone else's.
I totally agree, except for one special case. I've got a friend that's an engineer (like, choo-choo engineer) and I love hearing about the shit he runs into. You'd be surprised how often cars get stuck on train tracks.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2005-11-03, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Speaking of odd pedestrian things at traffic intersections, y'all should see Salt Lake City. They have a rule that pedestrians need to carry an orange flag -- and WAVE IT -- as they walk across the street, even if they're going with the signal.

Is that really true? If so, that's got to be one of the weirdest thing I've ever heard...even for SLC. Where's midwinter when you need him?

So it goes.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-03, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Because women have what men want and don't give it up as often as men want it. Men have what women want and don't relize it so don't keep women happy.

(and if that statement doesn't piss a few people off, I've lost my touch)
If a guy is as 'good' as he 'could' be, a woman would start tearing his clothes off as he walked in the front door at night.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-11-03, 11:23

They've been doing some of that orange flag thing around here in places (Orange County? I think I'm making that up), but it's purely optional. Most people feel like jackasses, and, really, it's just poor planning and design to create such pedestrian unfriendly intersections. It's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb -- or stump, rather. Whatever.

Why do men think women are asking for fixes to their problems? Why do women think men are looking for thoughtful commentary when we want answers, dammit!
bb823

Send a message via AIM to bb823  
2005-11-03, 11:53

Yeah, I'm from Salt Lake (okay, like 20 minutes away) and we have those flags. In one of the nearby Universities they have them as well. They've had them for a few years. I don't really think I've seen anyone use them though. They also have the "look" signs painted on the ground so if you're walking with your head down you won't walk into the intersections.

Oh yeah, we've got the cuckoo sound as well. Odd, I thought everyone had it. I've heard it my whole life.

Do you think that Salt Lake cares about pedestrians?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-11-03, 12:21

Quote:
This question is probably answered in 4th grade science class these days. But I must have been absent the day it was covered and never 'did' get the information.

So... IS there actually a sound?
Yes.

Quote:
I never knew the land of equal opportunities had gone that far!!

Wow Cuckoo sounds at intersections for visually impaired drivers! Cool!
And braile at the bank drive-through ATMs for the blind drivers! That's a pretty cool one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
Didn't you see what they did?!? We must have revenge! We must piliage their cities, bastardise their cuisine, and marry their women!

Future installments of Dave Answers Your Questions will be posted at a later date.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2005-11-03, 12:42

Quote:
Oh, yeah! I 'have' heard the chirp too. Cool!

Well, now it's all starting to make sense.

*Who* told you this information, CoolToddHunter, if you don't mind my asking?

And thanks.
My parents. That was probably about 20 years ago now. When we would visit the downtown area, I always heard the cuckoo and chirp, so I asked what it was. Consequently, the noise always reminds me of downtown Salt Lake (I grew up in a suburb), even when I hear it somewhere else.